Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 6000 miles on my 1300c, If your sitting on the bike the left side of the front tire is wearing to the point that it is really affecting the handling. Is there something wrong with the front axle? My old bike I would go through 2 back tires to 1 front. The left side of the tire has no tread on it but the rest of the tire looks fine.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
The axle is probably fine, but I would take the tire off and check to see if it is balanced correctly. Typically you should get get a lot more miles on a front tire. I had 12k on mine when I sold the front wheel with it on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
VTX downside

welcome to the world of the VTX. You will go through 2 front tires quicker than 1 rear. And yes be prepared for uneven tire wear that causes front wheel whooble. Learn to live with it and it's not a bad bike.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
As with almost everything in life there is not one cause for this. I have 12,000 miles on my tires and have very even wear. I realize many people want to place the blame on just one thing, but it isn't accurate. My research shows the following causes in the order of most affect:
1) The VTX (and many other bikes) weighs at least 40 pounds more on the right side than the left. This causes the rider to do one of 2 things or both: the bike slightly leans to the left to keep the center of gravity vertical, or, the rider sits on the left side of the seat to keep the cog vertical, or both. This is why when riders replace the stock exhaust with very light exhaust the bike is easier to handle, wobbles less when stopping, and wears less on the left side of the tire.
2) Riders usually turn left more aggressively than right and left turns are longer - Thus wearing more on the left.
3) Some roads have a very mild angle to the right. This causes the left side of the tires to wear more since the rider is keeping the cog vertical to the plane of gravity - but not vertical to the road surface. This is only valid if the rider only rides on the lane that slants to the right. Most areas of the U.S. with 2 lanes have the right slanting to the right and the left slants to the left. To remedy this simply spend more time in the left sloping lane.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
When you replace the front tire make sure you put 38 to 40 psi front and rear, keep the front tire ballanced and the wear on the left side will be fairly even then. This is a normal thing for the X. My original front did the same thing to me at about 8000 miles, now getting closer to 12000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts