Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got it on today.
Once mounted it was one inch narrower at it's widest point, so it slipped right in nice as can be.

Riding was just a touch different at first but within 10 miles it felt different but very good. The change is about like going from a 750 to a 1800.

And she wants to spring back to upright real easy.

Thanks again to all who gave great advise
:D

Larry
 

·
Old Goat
Joined
·
26,260 Posts
I too will be going to the Darkside :lol: keep us posted . Good luck and have a safe one.
 

·
Mad Hatter
Joined
·
21,343 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
I'm gonna try it also but dang are you guys sure this thing will fit? :lol:


Yes, it fits!! I have installed so many lately... If U need help, just call!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,182 Posts
Yep- goes right in. They even ride and handle great when nearly flat. Broke a valve stem and bike tire was nearly colapsed when I got stopped. Felt like a mt that was about 10# low. Was amazed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
I'm gonna try it also but dang are you guys sure this thing will fit? :lol:


That's a nice looking tire tire you got there. What brand and size is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,271 Posts
It is a Hankook 205-55-16. Yes I figure it will fit but I thought the picture is funny with the tire looking larger than the fender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,634 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
I'm gonna try it also but dang are you guys sure this thing will fit? :lol:
I said the same thing....but it does...no modifications needed....

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know how you feel it didn't look like it would fit and I got out a couple of 90 degree straight edges and measured and then measured again.

What saves the job is that on the motorcycle rim the tire narrows up about an inch at the widest part and slips right by the tightest section.

I recommend a floor jack to lift the tire and a friend to help wiggle it but I was pleased ant the ease of the switch.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Last night I had my rear tire (Falken 205x55) off for the maintenance of the spline gears. Two things, I noticed small scrapes on the bottom of my lower pipe that are new since I went to a CT. I drag the floorboards once in a while but I didn't know I had touched the pipe :wink: It must be due to the slight lowering the 55 profile tire produced. Second, I just lower the bike slowly using the Craftsman motorcycle jack and keep adjusting the tires position. Then I slide it on the rear drive unit when it is aligned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts
HuzurPapa said:
Last night I had my rear tire (Falken 205x55) off for the maintenance of the spline gears. Two things, I noticed small scrapes on the bottom of my lower pipe that are new since I went to a CT. I drag the floorboards once in a while but I didn't know I had touched the pipe :wink: It must be due to the slight lowering the 55 profile tire produced. Second, I just lower the bike slowly using the Craftsman motorcycle jack and keep adjusting the tires position. Then I slide it on the rear drive unit when it is aligned.
Dragging the pipes are always gonna happen if pushed hard in a turn, you tend to have more confidence with the car tire and thus the dragging of the pipes.

I used to think I was dragging my pegs, but it was the pipes too. I found out later just like you did. Hey, what's are all these scrape marks??? But now since I broke off all the peg scrapers....well they were bent so bad, I took them off.....now I hear nothing but pipes dragging.


.................twin

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,993 Posts
JD9613 said:
Well that is just terrible. So now we know CT cause pipe dragging! :shock: :twisted:
Not only that.....since I went to the Darkside....I lost 40 lbs and now I have a smoking HAWT body.....my wife calls me her "trophy husband".

JMHO


........................twin :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,634 Posts
twin1300 said:
JD9613 said:
Well that is just terrible. So now we know CT cause pipe dragging! :shock: :twisted:
Not only that.....since I went to the Darkside....I lost 40 lbs and now I have a smoking HAWT body.....my wife calls me her "trophy husband".

JMHO


........................twin :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:


.
what brand tire was that again....my Michelin HydroEdge didn't do that for me.....must be a defect....I'm asking for a refund!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
HuzurPapa said:
Last night I had my rear tire (Falken 205x55) off for the maintenance of the spline gears. Two things, I noticed small scrapes on the bottom of my lower pipe that are new since I went to a CT. I drag the floorboards once in a while but I didn't know I had touched the pipe :wink: It must be due to the slight lowering the 55 profile tire produced. Second, I just lower the bike slowly using the Craftsman motorcycle jack and keep adjusting the tires position. Then I slide it on the rear drive unit when it is aligned.
Yep, I scraped a lot more with the 55 series Falken than I do with the 60 series Potenza. Both great tires though.

I too like using the method of lowering the bike to the hub with the motorcycle jack. MUCH easier than trying to muscle that sucker up in there.

-S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside.


With the money you save on bike tires, you'll be able to
afford new floorboards. You're gonna need 'em!!
 

·
Sith Lord
Joined
·
4,919 Posts
BigVTXMan said:
HuzurPapa said:
Last night I had my rear tire (Falken 205x55) off for the maintenance of the spline gears. Two things, I noticed small scrapes on the bottom of my lower pipe that are new since I went to a CT. I drag the floorboards once in a while but I didn't know I had touched the pipe :wink: It must be due to the slight lowering the 55 profile tire produced. Second, I just lower the bike slowly using the Craftsman motorcycle jack and keep adjusting the tires position. Then I slide it on the rear drive unit when it is aligned.
Yep, I scraped a lot more with the 55 series Falken than I do with the 60 series Potenza. Both great tires though.

I too like using the method of lowering the bike to the hub with the motorcycle jack. MUCH easier than trying to muscle that sucker up in there.

-S
yeah, after wrestling it the first time it dawned on me to lower the bike to the tire...duh...lol
 

·
Mad Hatter
Joined
·
21,343 Posts
toasted_3111979 said:
BigVTXMan said:
HuzurPapa said:
Last night I had my rear tire (Falken 205x55) off for the maintenance of the spline gears. Two things, I noticed small scrapes on the bottom of my lower pipe that are new since I went to a CT. I drag the floorboards once in a while but I didn't know I had touched the pipe :wink: It must be due to the slight lowering the 55 profile tire produced. Second, I just lower the bike slowly using the Craftsman motorcycle jack and keep adjusting the tires position. Then I slide it on the rear drive unit when it is aligned.
Yep, I scraped a lot more with the 55 series Falken than I do with the 60 series Potenza. Both great tires though.

I too like using the method of lowering the bike to the hub with the motorcycle jack. MUCH easier than trying to muscle that sucker up in there.

-S
yeah, after wrestling it the first time it dawned on me to lower the bike to the tire...duh...lol
Shoot, I got installing them to a Science :D :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top