Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can those of you who've rerouted your wires through your handlebars post some photos of your routing jobs, if you've got 'em? I'd like to see closeups of just how your wires are running into and out of the bars; what you used to protect the wire at the holes in and out; and where your wires exit the bar to go to the headlight housing. I saw AlohaFred's and he ran his between the risers and straight down thru the triple tree if memory serves me correctly. Anyone else done anything different?

What did you use to cover any exposed wires? particulary between the handlebars and the tripletrees? Did anyone run the wires through the risers? I've got PhatII risers from Scootworks, and would have to take them to a machine shop to hollow out as they are too big to do on my own....would it be better just to run the wires from the bar down to the tripple tree and in between the risers and just cover them with some sort of braided cover? Thaks guys. :D

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Here are my entry and exit points. I used the chrome wire loom protector to cover the wires between the bars and tripple tree.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I havent done mine but seem to remember a thead about a plug in the handle bars somewhere, its just plastic.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, guys. Here's a couple return questions for you...

Papa - where did you get the chrome loom? Did you put any sort of rubber stopper or grommet in the hole or does the wire loom run into the whole to protect the wire form the edges of the hole where you drilled? It looks good! Is you brake line covered in the loom or is it a braided/stainless replacement?

Classic - It looks like youve actually drilled one hole in the center between the risers to run down to the headlamp. How did you end up covering the wires - also in wire loom ? Where did you get yours?

Do eiither of you have a photo of the wires where they actually run through the fork cover and down into back of the the headlight? I'd like to see how you did that if you've got em. Any problem drilling either the handlebar or the fork cover? How about the plug that was mentioned? Any problems getting it out? Lastly, I assume you both used the vacuum method to get the wires through? Thanks for the great photos and replies. Craig

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
vmi87 said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Here's a couple return questions for you...

Papa - where did you get the chrome loom? Did you put any sort of rubber stopper or grommet in the hole or does the wire loom run into the whole to protect the wire form the edges of the hole where you drilled? It looks good! Is you brake line covered in the loom or is it a braided/stainless replacement?

Classic - It looks like youve actually drilled one hole in the center between the risers to run down to the headlamp. How did you end up covering the wires - also in wire loom ? Where did you get yours?

Do eiither of you have a photo of the wires where they actually run through the fork cover and down into back of the the headlight? I'd like to see how you did that if you've got em. Any problem drilling either the handlebar or the fork cover? How about the plug that was mentioned? Any problems getting it out? Lastly, I assume you both used the vacuum method to get the wires through? Thanks for the great photos and replies. Craig
I picked up the chrome wire loom protector from Oriellys auto parts, you can get it in other colors also. I used a die grinder to make a small indention in the bars before drilling, as it is pretty hard to drill through chrome. As for the wire running through the tripple tree I filled the hole with RTV to protect the wires and to keep them from moving. The brake line is the same chrome wire loom protector it comes in different sizes also. The fibration dampners in the bars are removable, they just slide out. I really do not feel any difference without them. I used a piece wire to pull my wires through.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I should add that if I was doing this over I would exit the wires like classic x right in the center and I would not run them through the tripple tree, because once you do that you can never remove your bars without cutting the wires, but if you just run the wires behind the trees you can just unplug them and remove your bars. and it would look just as good. Maybe even better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Papa, sounds like an upcoming weekend project for me. I just replaced the clutch and throttle cables, so this will clean it up nicely. By the way - what is RTV? Also, did you have ot take off the grips to get the plug out? How did you get it out - pull it out witha coat hangar or something? Again, thanks for the great replies. You've got me charged up to do this myself.

·
Registered
816 Posts
the cruiser performance bars came predrilled with a hole in the center and at the ends. used stock wire loom for right side.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
vmi87 said:
Papa, sounds like an upcoming weekend project for me. I just replaced the clutch and throttle cables, so this will clean it up nicely. By the way - what is RTV? Also, did you have ot take off the grips to get the plug out? How did you get it out - pull it out witha coat hangar or something? Again, thanks for the great replies. You've got me charged up to do this myself.
RTV is silicone sealer. Yes you will have to remove the grips as that vib dampner bar is in the way, a pair of needle nose pliers or a couple of small screw drivers as prybars will work, if you wanted to you could cut about 1/2'' out of them and reweld them if you thought you needed them. but I do not believe you do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts