Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to motorcycles that have a On/off reserve switch. My last bike didn't have one. I just reset the trip mileage after every fill-up and knew how far I could go before needing gas. As I just purchased a 2009 VTX 1300, could someone explain how this works? I did some searching and research already, but I am a picture guy. I learn best by seeing pictures and I'm unable to find one online.

I understand the gas tank is one tank with two-step drain and I am trying to determine what this means. Correct me if I am wrong but if there is just one tank, the reserve fuel is on the bottom.

1. In order to fill up the entire tank, including reserve, the switch must be set to reserve it seems.

2. If there is just one tank for both the normal setting and reserve setting, would it be possible to just ride with the switch on reserve? I understand once you run out of gas, you would definitely be out of gas. I am just trying to figure out how everything works.

3. A picture would help visual learner like me if anyone as one :)

Best,

Kev

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Reserve is a low fuel warning for you to start thinking about re-fueling. Start in the regular position with a full tank, somewhere around 130 miles it will start to sputter, switch to reserve, another 15 miles no problem, by 20 miles you should be getting nervous, 25 miles what is your plan b, your mileage may vary. When you fill ALWAYS switch back to the normal position. If you leave with it in reserve position the next time it sputters you are done, there is no reserve to the reserve.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Most 1300 should average close to 160...google it...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Reset your trip meter miles on speedometer to 0 when you fill up with fuel. Make sure petcock valve is in on position see owners manual. Like the above post said up to 130 miles before you run out and have to switch reserve. Up to 30 miles on reserve. If you are riding in unfimiliar areas you should find a gas station fill up before hitting reserve to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's making sense. Just a couple of questions.

1. Is it safe to turn the reserve 'on' while riding? Like when the bike starts to stutter, just reach down and turn on the switch or do you pull over?

2. The main steps would be something like this then:
a. Bike stutters - turn reserve on - find gas station (or before)
b. fill up tank - which automatically fills both reserve and regular tank as it's just one tank really
c. turn reserve off / back to normal and go

Sorry for the beginner questions, just want to make sure I understand everything.

3. I also read it's good to run on reserve every now and then to keep good fuel in reserve.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
The picture shows the petcock with out the tubular screen over the inlet tube. When on the normal run position the gas enters the top of the tube. When on reserve the gas enters at the base of the tube. Therefore if you forget to flip back to the run position when filling the tank, next time you run out of fuel your OUT. Many years ago I learned that lesson

Reactions: Cjopr147

·
Registered
395 Posts
thumbnail_20210428_180942.jpg thumbnail_20210428_180951.jpg thumbnail_20210428_181013.jpg
RUN OFF RESERVE

When you fill up, you fill up everything, reserve is not a separate part of tank

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It's making sense. Just a couple of questions.

1. Is it safe to turn the reserve 'on' while riding? Like when the bike starts to stutter, just reach down and turn on the switch or do you pull over?
Just do it on the fly, practice it a couple times.

2. The main steps would be something like this then:
a. Bike stutters - turn reserve on - find gas station (or before)
b. fill up tank - which automatically fills both reserve and regular tank as it's just one tank really
c. turn reserve off / back to normal and go

Sorry for the beginner questions, just want to make sure I understand everything.
Correct. I turn the key cover on the cap when I switch to reserve, this reminds me to turn back to on when I fill up.

3. I also read it's good to run on reserve every now and then to keep good fuel in reserve.
The gas mixes with the new gas as you fill the tank and as you ride. No need to switch it until you need it.

Welcome to the VTX world.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am new to motorcycles that have a On/off reserve switch. My last bike didn't have one. I just reset the trip mileage after every fill-up and knew how far I could go before needing gas. As I just purchased a 2009 VTX 1300, could someone explain how this works? I did some searching and research already, but I am a picture guy. I learn best by seeing pictures and I'm unable to find one online.

I understand the gas tank is one tank with two-step drain and I am trying to determine what this means. Correct me if I am wrong but if there is just one tank, the reserve fuel is on the bottom.

1. In order to fill up the entire tank, including reserve, the switch must be set to reserve it seems.

2. If there is just one tank for both the normal setting and reserve setting, would it be possible to just ride with the switch on reserve? I understand once you run out of gas, you would definitely be out of gas. I am just trying to figure out how everything works.

3. A picture would help visual learner like me if anyone as one :)

Best,

Kev
First of all it's a Valve, not a "switch". Valve = Liquid/gas. Switch = Electrical

3 positions: On, Off, Reserve.

You don't see the Standpipe that is part of the Valve assembly, but its sticking up in the Tank vertically.

In the "On" or open position Gasoline is allowed to flow from the high point on the standpipe, on reserve Gasoline is allowed to flow from the bottom part of the standpipe. That's why you would be screwed if you run out of gas while its set on reserve (lowest part of that standpipe).

·
Registered
904 Posts
That's why you would be screwed if you run out of gas while its set on reserve (lowest part of that standpipe).
Notice that most convenience stores/gas stations carry small gas cans on the shelf. You might be screwed but it's not the end of the world. Somebody somewhere has run out of gas. Learning your motorcycle range will prevent you from being stranded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Kevin, a lot of good information above! One thing that you should know, if you look at 07Blackcherry's post, about four posts above this one you will see three pictures of the petcock valve in the "on", "off" and "reserve" positions. Look closely at the first picture and you will see that the long arm of the valve is pointing down and yet you are running off the fuel in the top part of the tank! Most riders today find this backwards at first until they get used to it, but there is a reason (of a sort) that it is the way it is. Many years ago when I started riding almost all petcock valve handles were made of cast pot metal with an arrow symbol cast into the face of the valve and often blacked in to make it stand out even more. The shaft of the arrow with the feathers (back of the arrow in flight) was on that long arm of the valve and the pointy arrow head was on the short bump on the top side of the valve handle so when you turned the head of the arrow towards the top of the tank the arrow pointed towards the part of the tank you were drawing fuel from and it made perfect sense. Today, pretty much all valve handles are plastic and the arrow is long gone but that stupid long arm pointing the wrong way is still there and very few people know why!!!

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
About 140-160 miles, when getting low on Main, exhaust gets a different sound.
Go further and a lean out pop will signal no fuel.
Practice the switchover a few times while riding.

> There is a tiny arrow on the petcock lever. Get on your knees to see it <<
The petcock lever is the pointer..

Another petcock pic.

Fuel switch-Honda owner's manual

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Most 1300 should average close to 160...google it...
Not 160 at highway speeds. Only times I ever got close to 160 is tooling around below 55 mph for the duration of the full tank.

Mine is pretty consistent at highway speeds of 130 to 140 then I only expect 30 miles on reserve before walking, happened once.

Remember our odometers are off by about 4% showing more miles than actual. So for 100 miles on our odometers you are really going only 96 miles. Always allow a little extra for wind and the odometer error.

BTW our speedos show about 10% faster than actual speed. I've checked mine a few times by radar, no ticket.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Not 160 at highway speeds. Only times I ever got close to 160 is tooling around below 55 mph for the duration of the full tank.

Mine is pretty consistent at highway speeds of 130 to 140 then I only expect 30 miles on reserve before walking, happened once.

Remember our odometers are off by about 4% showing more miles than actual. So for 100 miles on our odometers you are really going only 96 miles. Always allow a little extra for wind and the odometer error.

BTW our speedos show about 10% faster than actual speed. I've checked mine a few times by radar, no ticket.
Uhh!!!!!...ok....the speedo being off is a known issue since forum was born....

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
I was concerned about running out of fuel with 162 miles on Trip A. 3.84 G on refill
Looks like odometer is 9% high vs Google map(149 miles).
This was from Tallulah,LA to Meridian, MS
22nd and 23rd receipts. Must have stopped to eat.

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
With a corrected odometer reading, I get about 115-120 miles before reserve. I have never gotten more than that. But I also have my bike tuned for maximum performance (dyno tuned with a sniffer).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't worry if the speedometer is off. I know when the trip meter hits160 within the next 5 miles I'll be going to reserve. When I first got the bike I ran it till it hit reserve. Still do that every now and again to make sure it is the same. I usually top off at 140 because my wife can not get much past that before going to reserve. Her VTX has been triked, so her bike weighs a bit more than mine, and gets lower MPG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts