Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that Im hitting the rev limiter in 1st gear at 35mph. That seems like its way too early. Is this typical? If so has anyone figured out a way to do away with the limiter or at least modify it? Thanks any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have noticed that Im hitting the rev limiter in 1st gear at 35mph. That seems like its way too early. Is this typical? If so has anyone figured out a way to do away with the limiter or at least modify it? Thanks any help is appreciated.
Normal for me.

I'm thinking if you bypass the limiter you are asking for trouble.:confused:

Are you drag racing?

·
Registered
662 Posts
x2 on the normal part. It's just how the 1800s are geared and the rpms of the limiter. 1300 final will extend all the gears for you. But if you want to extend the rev, you'll need one of these:
and one of these:
With the PC III and the Ignition module, you can raise the limiter. Last I heard, DynoJet wanted a signed release form before they unlocked it. I guess they dont want people suing them if their motor blows up. :dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
Yes, it is normal. The limiter is set at 5750rpms, you just have to learn to shift earlier, especially if you're coming off a sportbike. It's been shown that the powerband is on the downslope when the limiter kicks in anyway. Unless you're racing for money, it's won't help much to bump the limiter

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, it is normal. The limiter is set at 5750rpms, you just have to learn to shift earlier, especially if you're coming off a sportbike. It's been shown that the powerband is on the downslope when the limiter kicks in anyway. Unless you're racing for money, it's won't help much to bump the limiter
I'm re-learning this... coming from a BMWR1150RT... I'm used to having high rpms, letting the bike slow me down, versus using the brakes... now have to do the opposite... especially using the BRAKES :D I've had people ask me if my brake light works, because they never see it go on while riding thru the twisties.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've had people ask me if my brake light works, because they never see it go on while riding thru the twisties.
I ground my brake pedal off ... going too fast through the twisties. :yikes:
We don' need no stinking brakes anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you know some one good with computers and programs, they could set you up with a higher limit. A friend did it for me, had it set at 6800. I also have a lot of work into my engine.(About $8000 worth:yikes:) Dont tell my old lady:bowdown:. I,m good for at least 2 blown head gaskets a year, and those are copper!!! I dont honestly know if the stock bottom end will hold up to the constant high rpm abuse. I wouldnt chance it myself. Just some food for thought. The stock vtx was designed to work with the rev. limit set from the factory for a reason. If you want it to perform like a street bike, be prepared to spend some DOE. Otherwise, just by a street bike. Something I should of done.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i can not not reply here...but 35 in 1st? man am i babying my machine... i suppose i'm gonna have to actually look tomorrow... gonna count my 60-80 roll on too... since someone was kind enough to splain it to me...

·
Registered
231 Posts
rev limiter

When I want to really hammer on it, I just put her in 2nd and blast off! 0-65 mph with no shift. I've run away from alot of bikes this way.

G

·
I recently sold my 1300 and bought an 1800. THAT was the FIRST THINK I NOTICED and adapted to in a hurry! :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Rivco? I'll have to look that one up but if it works, it's good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put one on my bike and I love it. It does reach the rev limiter quicker than you would expect, but it's nice to be able to monitor the rpm's all the time...it also looks cool because mine is mounted in center of the bars and it matches the factory speedo pretty close...definitely worth the money to have the tach. good luck.
Matt

Rivco? I'll have to look that one up but if it works, it's good.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you are looking for a RIVCO TACH or other parts go to www.directlineparts.com (sponsor of this board) and order before the end of tomorrow, Jan 6th, you get a 10% discount on it with free shipping. I ordered one about 2 weeks ago with a ship date of Jan 9th.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Take advantage of the rev limiter. I like to take my 1800C to the rev limiter about twice a day. 38 mph in first is about right, 2nd on expressway entrys feels good. The engine runs great and no problem with fouled plugs or unusual vibrations. I've got 6000 miles on the odometer and the last time I checked, got 40.9mpg over 1000 miles. Many like the 1300 gears, but I think rev's keep the engine cleaner. Enjoy the performance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts