Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bo Bo changed his oil per Bareass instruct. and got a reading on his oil stick above the upper mark. I changed mine, with new filter, Put 3.9 qts in, and got no reading on the stick at all. This after a ride, and letting it sit a few minutes. Checked with bike level and stick just put in to the threads. Is it possible that the stick should be screwed in or perhaps the check should be done with the bike on its stand? What in the H is going on here? I'am dumbfounded , confused, and slightly spooked. Help.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
When you say bike level, you mean from front to rear, right? The fluid level check is (I think) supposed to be with the bike on the sidestand, and the dipstick unscrewed and just resting on the threads.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are right about it being on its stand, than I am experiencing the Bo Bo effect straight out. Read like this the level is a little above the upper mark and as such does not require any action on my part-- which would be a tad tardy as I put 250 hwy miles on it today-- Bo Bo, you'll be happy to know, there have been no ill effects, that I know of. Runs great, with its first synthetic transfusion, and the gas milage seems to have improved!

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you read in the owners manual, it says "hold the motorcycle in an upright position" to check the oil level. that may be why you got the overfill reading

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
I also say in my write-up:

Anyways, using the funnel dump all 4 quarts in quickly, pouring but not allowing the bottle to sit upside down and drain every little bit. After pouring all 4 quarts this way there is about .1 quart left between all 4 bottles so you added the required 3.9 quarts. There is some debate/discrepancy between folks about the proper method to refill the bike, this has led to some folks putting 5 and 6 quarts of oil into a bike that only requires the 3.9. What I've learned from working on these bikes is that the sticks in these bikes can vary slightly from bike to bike, how they read, how you lean when you check the stick, how much oil has drained down, etc - no matter how much you try to replicate the same conditions (run time, cool down time, etc) there are always discrepancies. So I add my 4 "fast-poured" quarts to the engine and then I pour the leftover old oil back into the 4, now empty, quart bottles. This makes it easy for me to deliver the oil for recycling AND it lets me know how much I drained. This way I can always make sure I'm replacing as much as I'm removing AND it lets me see if the motor is burning a little oil. After a few changes you know what to expect and if anything is off you'll recognize it. I never look at a dipstick unless the oil drained/replaced are dramatically different.

If your a strictly "by the book" kind of person and you absolutely have to check the dipstick then:
Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes
Stop the engine, let the bike sit for 2-3 minutes
Make sure the bike is on a level surface
Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean
Stand the bike upright off the sidestand
Insert the dipstick until it seats, but don't screw it in
Remove the dipstick and check the level

If you decide to use the "book" method please keep in mind what I've mentioned above. I am generally ALWAYS a "by the book" kind of guy when working on these things, but this is one time when I trust my real world experience over what the book says.
:wink:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bo Bo said:
When you say bike level, you mean from front to rear, right? The fluid level check is (I think) supposed to be with the bike on the sidestand, and the dipstick unscrewed and just resting on the threads.
I knew if we got you to talk enough, something might come out.

Engine oil should be checked with the bike leveled, front to rear and left to right. It is one of those things that we must do that is more difficult because we don't have a center stand.

I was starting to wonder if you found a 5 quart container of oil, but I guess not. :lol:

Because the bike leans towards the dipstick, the oil will climb the dipstick when on the sidestand. When the bike is balanced it is about as close to vertical as it can be. (I try to balance the weight of guns and ammo in the saddle bags. :lol: )

You should have been right on or just a hair above the full mark with a full draining of the 1 gallon (4 quart) jug of oil. Maybe a little below if you are using a slightly larger oil filter; but not enough to worry about.

Give that a try and get back with us.

I would guess that you have requested notification of new postings on this thread. I will do the same.

8)

·
Registered
679 Posts
evadlink said:
Bo Bo changed his oil per Bareass instruct. and got a reading on his oil stick above the upper mark. I changed mine, with new filter, Put 3.9 qts in, and got no reading on the stick at all. This after a ride, and letting it sit a few minutes. Checked with bike level and stick just put in to the threads. Is it possible that the stick should be screwed in or perhaps the check should be done with the bike on its stand? What in the H is going on here? I'am dumbfounded , confused, and slightly spooked. Help.
In your case, you might have had the bike leaning a bit to the right when you were taking the reading on the dipstick. Try again with a perfect balance.

- Perhaps leaning a bit to the right, set the dipstick in position. Down on the threads, not up on the case.
- Balance the bike, it won't matter if the ground is level or not.
- Lean the bike back to the right and withdraw the dipstick. You should have an accurate reading on the dipstick.

If you check it while it is on a motorcycle lift/jack, it is very important that it be done on level ground. I have a tendency to check it on a jack and have found that my readings are accurate.

In short:
- Pull both plugs.
- Drain while on sidestand. (My preference)
- Genuine Honda oil filter.
- Bike leveled on stand.
- Install 4 quarts of oil.
- Run at least 2 minutes.
- Drain down at least 2 minutes.
- Check oil level.

8)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Ah hah! Now I got it! I thought it should be on the sidestand...I guess I'll have to recheck with me on the bike and holding it up. Thanks people. Shoot, with that in mind, I may just use most of what's left in the container. :p

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Congratulations! You've managed to coin a phrase, usually takes years.
"THE BO BO EFFECT!" I like it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
when I changed my oil the 1st time I put 4 quarts in...ran the bike to fill the filter and shut it down.

I came back later and put 2-2x6 blocks under the side stand...I checked the level and marked my dipstick...which was reading just above the full line since the bike still had a slight lean

now I know where my level should be when I put the blocks under my sidestand and check...not very scientific but it works

1 - 10 of 10 Posts