Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had any motor work done to their 1300c? ppistons, rings, cam? I have been looking for hop up kits on the internet and havent really come across anything but hyperchargers and such. I am thinking of taking the heads in this winter and seeing what the local engine shop can do with them. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
there was a company doing it, designed performance, but they have focused their attentions elsewhere, However Id say any motor will respond well to some good machining and port/polishing. depending on deck height you might even get away with having the heads milled down for a compression bump, but I do not know if the piston and head design will allow that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Biodude, I am very suprised at the lack of information out there for giving these bad boys a power boost. I love my 1300c but i miss that throw ya backwards acceleration of my sport bikes.

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
The reason that not much is out there for the 1300 is because there is the 1800. So, not too many companies are going to throw a ton of R&D money at an engine that has a larger displacement counterpart. Yeah, I know it isn't the same engine, but most do not know that and don't care so a company ins't likely to toss $50,000 or more in developement when they will likely never see any return on it. Especially in this economy, if they don't see money in it, they aren't going to fish for it ;)

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
if you haven't already, the 1300 does respond fairly well to better exhaust air intake and some jet work (ok so do most vehicles, lol). Granted its not going to turn the 1300 into a monster, but it is a noticeable improvement when done correctly

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 1300 had a jet kit and Vance and Hines pipes on it when i got it. I am going to install a hypercharger, but i was looking for some real pop other than the normal. This thing has got to have a lot of hidden horses in it. I also would love to shorten the twist on the throttle. Any ideas bro?-- i cant wait toill spring to meet some of these VTX'rs!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
My 1300 had a jet kit and Vance and Hines pipes on it when i got it. I am going to install a hypercharger, but i was looking for some real pop other than the normal. This thing has got to have a lot of hidden horses in it. I also would love to shorten the twist on the throttle. Any ideas bro?-- i cant wait toill spring to meet some of these VTX'rs!
What parts of Pa. are you.? I'm in mechanicsburg/Harrisburg.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,780 Posts

to get a snappier throttle response you can cut down the slider spring in the top of the carb. give this a read through, He details getting the carb apart as well as the length to cut this spring. A lot of this wont directly apply if your carb had been jetted, but its easy to get to the sprig and just check it against a ruler. shortening it to the recommended length should improve some throttle response. but it will not really change the amount of actual twist in the throttle itself. if it feels really sloppy, you can adjust the cables down at the side of the carb. just be careful, you do over do it and wind up with a throttle that doesnt fully close back to idle.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206510

and yeah, we get together pretty regularly to go ride depending whice part of the state your in.

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
If you want the most, skip the Hypercharger. Hypers are a tad better than the stock box, but there are better breathing boxes out there like the Thunder Hurricane

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow.. thanks for the info on the throttle!-- what i was trying to do is shorten the throw.. Thats a lot of twist to get this baby wide open!-- I am from near Connellsville, pa. Thats a way down south and west!-- About 40 miles south of Pittsburgh. What is a thunder ?-- I dont want a big air box on the side of the bike.. I actaully lioke the looks of those ones with the cone shape, but they are way too much for a pipe and a K&n filter attched to it. At least in my opinion.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS FOR THE LINK!-- while i was checking out the Hurricane I saw a Tornado.. That is what i was referring to earlier. The price wasnt bad, but i wonder if there is any significant diffrence in performance between it and A HYPERCHARGER? I'll probably go with the Hypercharger-- but i like that Tornado.. lol-- BY THE WAY--- heres apicture of my mule.. my 1300.jpg

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
Depends on what you consider "Significant" 5 or so hp is pretty significant. The Hyper is for looks, don't let someone tell you it acts as a RAM air intake because it is not and never could be ;)

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
What is a thunder ?-- I dont want a big air box on the side of the bike.. I actaully lioke the looks of those ones with the cone shape, but they are way too much for a pipe and a K&n filter attched to it. At least in my opinion.
Not sure what you mean by "too much", but I have the Tornado on my bike. It performs very well (as does the Hurricane & BAK [Big Air Kit]). It's all about what look you like, I guess, but I wanted something a little more unique looking.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Depends on what you consider "Significant" 5 or so hp is pretty significant. The Hyper is for looks, don't let someone tell you it acts as a RAM air intake because it is not and never could be ;)
A tornado boasts a range of 5-7 hp. The H/C might net you 3-5hp. Jetted correctly a Hypercharger will sit you back when you torque the throttle. I'm not saying it's the end all be all. . . I know it's not. But pound for pound, The hypercharger looks WAY better IMO then the tornado or BAK (which essentially looks like the stock air box to me, just a bit modified).

To the original poster:
At the end of the day, it's your scoot, get what you like the look of. Having an extra 3 hp over a competing intake isn't gonna matter if you hate the way it looks on your bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts