Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace the stockers with Avon venoms. HDL has a good price online when you factor in the 10% discount, but then I have to find someone local to mount them. Have no idea what that would cost, who to trust. I'll take the rims w/tires off the bike and bring them to whomever I decide to deal with.

Did you buy local and have them mounted where you bought them, or did you buy online and have a local shop mount them?

Apprx pricing and shop you dealt with would be appreciated.

You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have over 95,000 miles on my 1800, so you know that I've changed my tires a few times. I also use the Avon Venums. Buy your tires from HDL, remove your wheels, and take them to a local motorcycle shop. They will install them for you at a small price. Say, 20 - 35 bucks a wheel.

It's costly, but for that price they should rebalance them for your too. At the same time your wheels are off, check the bearings to see if they rotate freely. Mine are still good, and I haven't changed mine, but I've heard of a few that have. If your not sure about your abilities in determining if the bearings are good, have the bike shop guy do it for you.

To take off your wheels, search on the tech board for tools required, and or anything else that is of interest.......:D

Good luck, and have fun while your at it.......

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
........They will install them for you at a small price. Say, 20 - 35 bucks a wheel........
Thanks Rickie.

Yep, I'll make sure the bearings are good while I have the rims off the bike.

If I can purchase local and get one stop shopping for close to the same price that I would purchasing on the net and having mounting balancing done, I'll purchase local just to develop a relationship with one of the local shops.
So far I've done all of my own wrenching thanks to the experts on this board, but you never know when you may need the local shop to come to your rescue. I would like to have at least a minimal relationship built before that happens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I live in Tiverton and I go to Action cycle in Fall River. Guy is in his 50's. Been working on Jap bikes all his life. Wouldn't work on HD and 4 wheelers. Works by him self. He did my vavles last fall for $90. Last year I took him my bike and he replaced both of my tires for $60 of course I brought him my bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Internet purchase

I bought my Avon Cobra's off of phatperformanceparts.com. I removed my wheels and took them to my local Honda dealer. Cost me $30 a piece for mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all.

Seems like around $30 per tire is going rate for mounting. Local shops are closed on Mondays, so I'll call around tomorrow and see what I come up with.

4dtvman...thanks for the tip on Action Cycle. (Nice bike BTW)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts