Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I pulled my plugs yesterday, just to see what they looked like. The electrode was like a greyish, which I read is pretty much what you're looking for. The thing that got me was the sootiness around the top ring of the plug, near the porcelain.

When I read another plug reading chart (located here: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html ) the deal seemed to be that it is running well at highway speeds, but rich at idle. I have the FP 58 pilot jet and a spyker mod with decapped airbox as well. The AF is set at 1 turn out. I am actually considering going back to th 55 (original) pilot jet. Has anyone else run into this? Am I just being too much a perfectionist? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Den

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good close up pics of plugs would help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good close up pics of plugs would help.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/spark-plug-visual-gauge/

Strange. On this chart, my plugs most resemble #23. Black & kinda sooty around the thread ring closest to the porcelain, but kinda grayish on the electrode. According to the visual gauge, they're "good" and actually kinda lean... Maybe it's time to leave well enough alone ;-) When I "blip" the throttle it does what it's supposed to in returning to normal idle speeds. Again, probably just nit-picking...

Den

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I'd say the plug looks good the black just hasn't probally burnt off from when you use to use the choke. But the 1 turn on the a/f ??? I've never heard of any running that lean - should be 1 1/2 to 2 turns.
i would definitely stay with the 58.
The tip of the plug is where it is firing not the rim. - so just ride.

Donut

·
Registered
186 Posts
When checking plugs, should you ride for a few minutes and then check? Do you need to check all four or could you do just one? Should all the plugs look the same or will there be some differences with front and back? I ask because I changed my plugs a few weeks ago and the rear plugs looked worse that the fronts.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
in order to do a good plug check the engine has to be hot and the bike must be ridden in the rpm range you want to check. after riding at the rpm range the engine has to be cut off before and then the plugs checked. even then its not practical. if you want to check jetting its best to use the jets that feel the best on your but dyno

the rear plugs will look richer than the front

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Unless youre doing a plug chop with fresh plugs, I wouldn't even worry about them unless they are severely sooted or melting. Pulling a plug randomly isn't going to tell you much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you!

Unless youre doing a plug chop with fresh plugs, I wouldn't even worry about them unless they are severely sooted or melting. Pulling a plug randomly isn't going to tell you much.
Good stuff, all. Thank you very much! As far as the lean setting on my AF screw goes, I wanted to keep it a bit on the leaner side because the rear plugs were always so sooty. THIS is the little gem that I didn't put in my initial post. Also, the reason I was strongly considering going back to the 55 jet. To attempt to strike a better balance between the front and rear spark plugs.

Thanks!

Den

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.