Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all say we do it, but have you really checked the air in your tires? I kept putting it off and waiting for the right time, and all the other excuses, but I finally pulled out the tire gauge and air compressor and filled them to where they are supposed to be.

WOW!!!!

It was like riding a new bike. Smoother, faster, handled MUCH better, and it was probably safter too!

Don't just say your going to look at them and blow it off. IT MAKES THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE!!!!

Don't ride again until you check them. I was truely happy with the results.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
With nearly 20,000 miles on the bike Tejas can feel when the wheels are low just by the way its hitting the bumps. Everytime he "feels" it he checks the tires and sure enough they are low.

G

·
0 Posts
air pressure

So what air pressure do you run your tires at? I know the sticker on the bike frame has recommendations of 33psi front and 36psi rear (or something close to that).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Whoa Cobra!
check your manual, I think it is more like 40psi, the frame markings are wrong!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Checking the air pressure should be at least a weekly ritural, for your safety, comfort, and to increase the life of your tires. Especially this time of the year with drastic temp changes in a short time frame. Just my $.02

·
Registered
651 Posts
I rode around with 10 psi in my back tire for a day or two before I figured out that I had a leak. It was kind of hard to push out of the garage, but she'd hook up regardless of how hard I took off. I got lucky that I didn't have a blow out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Preacher said:
Whoa Cobra!
check your manual, I think it is more like 40psi, the frame markings are wrong!
Manual says 36 rear, 33 front for 1300 S.

G

·
0 Posts
tire pressure

Hey Preacher,

I've been running more in the 36-38psi range, but I will certianly check the manual and see what it recommends AND check my tires more frequently. I'm as guilty as anyone for not checking them on a regular basis.

Thanks for the tip,

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put 44 in the back and 41 in the front on an 1800RS. Rides like a dream!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, forget what it says in the manual or anywhere else, use the pressure that is imprinted on the tire itself by the mfgr. Was an issue with dunnies on the 18s. I run the pressure Metz states on their ME880s, I believe is 40/40, but dont quote me on this, as I'm stateing from memory.

·
Registered
595 Posts
USE THE PRESSURE RECOMMENDED ON THE SIDEWALL OF THE TIRE ITSELF!

I had to replace the stock Dunnies at 8k miles because I followed the sticker on the driveshaft causing my front tire to wear improperly. I replaces the tires and ripped that sticker off! Now I have Metzelers with 5k miles on them and they look nearly new.

If you ride daily, I recommend checking your tires every other day. How long does it take, really? If your bike sits for a week a more at a time you need to check the tire pressure especially when the weather is inconsistent such as spring and fall. Wide temperature swings and barometric changes are the biggest causes of air pressure loss in tires.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
I check M ine Almost every day!! Can Not be to Cautious :wink: I also run 41/41

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I check mine 4 or 5 times a day, just to be sure. And if it is raining, at least double that. Just to be sure. Just to be sure.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder sucks.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I am guilty X 2. I have had 2 Xs and have never checked the air pressure on either. I have 4400 miles on the bike and the rear stil looks new but the front is showing some wear - probably because the pressure is off. I will check it the next time I ride - thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
41/41
with 13,716 miles and looks like another 5,000 miles

1 - 18 of 18 Posts