Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
Very nice trip. I lived in South TX years ago and made the trip to Big Bend with the family once when the kids were little, but never on a MC. Awesome pictures, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

My buddy and I made it down there from the Big D area the first week end in November. We always enjoy it. We don't go every year but most years. We did it for the "escape" also. We stayed at the Three Palms in Presidio, rode the river road then into the park.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing.

My buddy and I made it down there from the Big D area the first week end in November. We always enjoy it. We don't go every year but most years. We did it for the "escape" also. We stayed at the Three Palms in Presidio, rode the river road then into the park.
We stayed at the Riata in Presidio and hung out with some side-by-side off road folks. I wish we had taken the time to, "ride the river." The closest we got to that was when I was standing on the precipice near Fandango Dom Rock on Hwy 170 and some river rafters a half mile downstream were hilariously chanting for me to jump. Good times.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
You got a good part of it.

If you are back again ride to Candelaria, west on 170. Once you go there you'll never go again. Nothing there. I have been there twice and I'm still asking myself, why? LOL

There was a write up about it in some magazine after we went a few years back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got a good part of it.

If you are back again ride to Candelaria, west on 170. Once you go there you'll never go again. Nothing there. I have been there twice and I'm still asking myself, why? LOL

There was a write up about it in some magazine after we went a few years back.
Aside from the nothingness of the destination, was the journey on Hwy 170 North from Presidio as visually and physically appealing as the Southern leg to Lagitas?

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
a2rbnud, I shouldn't tell you and just let you discover it as my buddy let me. I asked and he said let's just go. He had already ridden to there on a previous MC trip.

The answer to your question, in my opinion, is NO! No way. It is a road I had never been on and that is always of interest to me. Now I can say, "how many people do I know who have ever been to Candelaria, especially on a motorcycle". Answer, one, my buddy who lead me there. Next question is how many people I know want to go there much less have heard of it? None. LOL

Seriously, if you have the time and a road to "not much" is of interest to you go and then you can say, "I've been there done that". It is of historical value.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, the infamous road less traveled. An unexplained urge has lead me to many an unplanned adventure. I've always maintained that there is an amazing story on virtually every street corner on the planet and you find some of the best by accident. Thanks for that thought provoking answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts