Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone here has had experience with "Ride-on" brand tire sealant. I've read a few forums with different opinions, most seem to be pretty good.

I dealt with slime back when i worked at a garage and we used to curse the stuff, but I've been told ride on is less messy and not corrosive. I'm interested in the sealing capabilities above the balancing, as I'm riding a 1300S with tubed tires.

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
Look at the bottom of your post page under recommended reading some help there…others that use it will be along…we got guys who swear by the stuff…good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone here has had experience with "Ride-on" brand tire sealant. I've read a few forums with different opinions, most seem to be pretty good.

I dealt with slime back when i worked at a garage and we used to curse the stuff, but I've been told ride on is less messy and not corrosive. I'm interested in the sealing capabilities above the balancing, as I'm riding a 1300S with tubed tires.
I've had it in my tires since the first tire change and fortunately have not needed the sealing capability. The balancing aspect does work. I have no weights on the wheels and the ride is smooth, no vibrations.

·
Registered
467 Posts
works great for balance, I've not had a puncture either. Does leave a slime slick down under the tread buit is water soluble if you need to do any cleanup. Changed several tires with it in there and no mess to clean up (yet). Just send them on to local recycle.
Here: Tire Sealant and Balancer | Flat tire prevention | Ride-On Tire Protection
Not easy to get all of the 8 oz out and in the tire. I usually leave a partical bottle taped to the wheel overnight to get that last little bit.
(y)

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
I will add I respect the opinions of those that use it….but for me I feel better carrying the slime pump and a patch kit…as for balance I got nothing against those little dot weights they use on my bike…their shiny and unobtrusive…good luck

Reactions: Blargef and SUMDATX

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have used it, and will always use it. I had a rear blow out at 60 mph. If you search my posts with Ride-On there will be a tread with pictures of my event. It 100% balances tires, and it does in fact seal up the tires. Be sure to use their Motorcycle branded product, the formula is different and designed for vehicles that lean. Even if you go darkside, you will want to use the motorcycle formula.

This is what it looks like when the tire is removed. It does not fall out and get all over the tire changing tools. A lot of shops will get pissed at you if you use slime (if you do, I would let them know before hand). The mechanic didn't even notice the Ride-On, until after I showed it to him (I told the service manager).

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Hey all,

Slime is garbage. R-O saved my ass 300 mi. from home in Ohio when I ran over a ringed flooring nail, dead center of the tread. Darkside tire. It got me back to a friends' place for the night. At that point I didn't even know it. By morning it had gone flat. Had to get a plug kit just to get home. Bought another tire and put 2 bottles of R-O in it. More is better than less. I had steel 90* stems, and the tip of the R-O would not go inside the stem, so I assumed I'd have a mess squeezing it out, but I had a sudden brainstorm. An unused silicone tube tip tapered more, so I just used it like a mini-funnel. That last oz. or so will come to the tip of the bottle if you can prop it tip-down. Might as well get your money's worth! At like $2 an oz., it's worth getting it all.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I will add I respect the opinions of those that use it….but for me I feel better carrying the slime pump and a patch kit…as for balance I got nothing against those little dot weights they use on my bike…their shiny and unobtrusive…good luck
Even though I use the Ride-On I too carry a patch kit in my saddlebags. I am probably dooming myself, but in my nearly 60 years of motorbikes I have never had a flat !!🤞🙏

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Even though I use the Ride-On I too carry a patch kit in my saddlebags. I am probably dooming myself, but in my nearly 60 years of motorbikes I have never had a flat !!🤞🙏
That was my first one, while riding (35 years), luckily I had Ride-On installed. I picked up a nail on my last bike, but didn't even notice it until I got back to the bike the next week (sat in a detached garage at the time).

Do you carry a patch kit, or do you mean a plug kit?

·
Registered
962 Posts
That was my first one, while riding (35 years), luckily I had Ride-On installed. I picked up a nail on my last bike, but didn't even notice it until I got back to the bike the next week (sat in a detached garage at the time).

Do you carry a patch kit, or do you mean a plug kit?
Yeah I'm old. Plug kit. 🧓

Reactions: Blargef

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
Ive had 2 on the bike but caught them in the garage…. I had to put 2 plugs in a hole in a 200…hell Ive plugged my civic tires,,,, lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
you can still use it even with the balancing weights on the rim

·
Registered
70 Posts
After taking some advice here on the forum and doing some research I put the Ride-on in my tires last month. No problems or even notice a difference. Easy install. Took off the balance weights, took a ride and it "felt" balanced immediately though I know that's not the case. Ride-on states there may be an initial "wobble" as the tire balances but I didn't feel it. Good luck. This is one of those things that doesn't really have any drawbacks so, WTH go for it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I called ride on c.s. cause I had the concern about the weights. I had already had the tires mounted and balanced and around vivid it was harder to get so I just waited. They said it's ok to put it in with the weights already on the rim. It won't affect the balance in a negative weigh. I had even done that before and ride was glass smooth

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I called ride on c.s. cause I had the concern about the weights. I had already had the tires mounted and balanced and around vivid it was harder to get so I just waited. They said it's ok to put it in with the weights already on the rim. It won't affect the balance in a negative weigh. I had even done that before and ride was glass smooth
It wont hurt anything, since it dynamically balances. In theory, if the wheels were balanced before the install of RO, RO will just coat and find a way to ensure a more accurate balance. You do also have the option of removing the weight, which is a better option, in case your wheels become out of balance over time (tire spinning on wheel). If the tire spins (which can happen, especially on heavy bikes with high torque like a V-Twin), RO will have to adjust to overcome an out of balance tire more than it needs to.

But yes, it wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have used it, and will always use it. I had a rear blow out at 60 mph. If you search my posts with Ride-On there will be a tread with pictures of my event. It 100% balances tires, and it does in fact seal up the tires. Be sure to use their Motorcycle branded product, the formula is different and designed for vehicles that lean. Even if you go darkside, you will want to use the motorcycle formula.

This is what it looks like when the tire is removed. It does not fall out and get all over the tire changing tools. A lot of shops will get pissed at you if you use slime (if you do, I would let them know before hand). The mechanic didn't even notice the Ride-On, until after I showed it to him (I told the service manager).

What are the riding characteristics when the bike hasn't been ridden in a few days or longer, can you feel it self balancing on the start of the ride where it feels a little off for a minute?

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
What are the riding characteristics when the bike hasn't been ridden in a few days or longer, can you feel it self balancing on the start of the ride where it feels a little off for a minute?
Once it has been spread around the inner center of the rubber, or circumference, it tends to stay there. Not actually a solid, nor a liquid. But a few revolutions down the road would put any back where it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hey all,

I dealt with slime back when i worked at a garage and we used to curse the stuff, but I've been told ride on is less messy and not corrosive. I'm interested in the sealing capabilities above the balancing,

I'm riding a 1300S with tubed tires.
Had to deal with customer bikes that used slime; personally not a fan of liquid sealants of any kind.
Have you considered having the rims sealed and run tubeless tires?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts