Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
What are the riding characteristics when the bike hasn't been ridden in a few days or longer, can you feel it self balancing on the start of the ride where it feels a little off for a minute?
Ride-On does not drop once it is set. My bike is on a stand all winter every year, there is never a drop on the wheels. If you look at the picture I posted above, that is how it is, it sticks there and doesn't fall. It is not like that slime crap. That stuff gets on everything, and can result in shop owners/mechanics yelling at you. I've heard of shops asking for cleaning fees.

That picture is several days after my bike was at the shop. There wasn't a single drop out of that channel. The mechanic didn't even know it was there until I asked him if he noticed any of it. He walked over and looked and said "I never noticed it". I towed the bike to the shop, it sat there for several days before they swapped the tire, and I waited another few days to pick up the bike. I asked them to put the tire to the side so I could inspect it. I took that picture when I went to pick it up.

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I appreciate everyone's input on this, seems to be pretty unanimous in favor of it. Seems like cheap insurance. I'm glad to hear the stuff is well above slime, Ive gone on to order 4 bottles of the motorcycle formula.

To answer you TeepS, I have considered sealing the rims, but my main concern is a highway speed blowout (experienced it once on my KLR650, lived to tell the tale but it was not fun), so that would be the same risk in either case.

Apparently it works well in tubes, so I'll be giving it a try!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Thankfully street bikes have tubeless tires today. Non of this stuff would have worked on tubes. You poke a hole in a tube tire and your flat immediately. Found that out in 1974 on my Honda CB 500 on I-5 Freeway :eek:

Reactions: TeepS

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thankfully street bikes have tubeless tires today. Non of this stuff would have worked on tubes. You poke a hole in a tube tire and your flat immediately. Found that out in 1974 on my Honda CB 500 on I-5 Freeway :eek:
According to their website they claim Ride-On works in tubed tires as well as tubeless tires. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
According to their website they claim Ride-On works in tubed tires as well as tubeless tires. 🤷‍♂️
That would be great if it does. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input on this, seems to be pretty unanimous in favor of it. Seems like cheap insurance. I'm glad to hear the stuff is well above slime, Ive gone on to order 4 bottles of the motorcycle formula.

To answer you TeepS, I have considered sealing the rims, but my main concern is a highway speed blowout (experienced it once on my KLR650, lived to tell the tale but it was not fun), so that would be the same risk in either case.

Apparently it works well in tubes, so I'll be giving it a try!
I understand your concern about a blow out while traveling at highway speeds. That would be no joke for sure.
And you are correct tubed or tubeless tires can experience blowouts.

Good luck and many miles with the ride on product!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put a new Michelin 888 on front of my 06 1300r, and added r-o, mainly for the balancing effect. Replaced a Dunlop tire that had wear on left side, noticed that it wasn't wearing even and felt that was what was causing slight vibration. I think as a tire wears its balance changes, my dilemma was between the r-o or bbs, chose r-o mainly because of sealant property. the only question that remains is will it keep balancing as the tire wears, and it says it is only good for two years. By the way I home balance checked the 888 and was good but still a slight vibe, added r-o no vibe.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I just put a new Michelin 888 on front of my 06 1300r, and added r-o, mainly for the balancing effect. Replaced a Dunlop tire that had wear on left side, noticed that it wasn't wearing even and felt that was what was causing slight vibration. I think as a tire wears its balance changes, my dilemma was between the r-o or bbs, chose r-o mainly because of sealant property. the only question that remains is will it keep balancing as the tire wears, and it says it is only good for two years. By the way I home balance checked the 888 and was good but still a slight vibe, added r-o no vibe.
Michelin doesn't make the 888, Metzeler does.

Reactions: 07Blackcherry

·
Registered
993 Posts
They will continually balance as the tire wears. It lasts the life of the tire, not just 2 years.

How long does Ride-On last?
Ride-On was designed to last for the entire legal life of your tires. It contains no glue or latex and remains a liquid, so it won’t dry out and lose effectiveness. It is also easily removable with a moist cloth or water vacuum.
Frequently Asked Questions - General | Ride-On Tire Protection

21 - 30 of 30 Posts