Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anybody be interested in taking a ride out to the Ozarks some weekend? Another X rider and co-worker of mine and 1 or 2 other Honda riders make weekend trips time to time down to Lambert's in Springfield or shorter trips just out to the Flint Hills area or to Cassody and have been wanting to make a ride out the Ozarks and thought others might be interested. ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
I would probably be interested in making that run...any idea which weekend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
I'm going to be busy the first two weekends as I'm planning on Sturgis, but I'm free all the others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Oddly enough, I was planning a trip with a friend and Ozarks was brought up. Is the weekend of July 29th too soon? Aug 4th is out... friends wedding... Aug 12 looks good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exabrial said:
Oddly enough, I was planning a trip with a friend and Ozarks was brought up. Is the weekend of July 29th too soon? Aug 4th is out... friends wedding... Aug 12 looks good

Anything this month wouldn't probably work but the 12th as of now is open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
I've been wanting to do a run down there for a couple of years. Last year I had a weekend all planned out and it decided to pour on the day I was going to go.
When you get something firmed up, post it so I can see if I can get away.
Are you planning on camping, or motels? Camping works for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deersleigher said:
I've been wanting to do a run down there for a couple of years. Last year I had a weekend all planned out and it decided to pour on the day I was going to go.
When you get something firmed up, post it so I can see if I can get away.
Are you planning on camping, or motels? Camping works for me.

I was just thinking of making it a 1 day trip, it's hard for me to get away too long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
It would take me half a day just to get there. I've looked a the different rides I would like to take and one day wouldn't do it justice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back on. We've been teaching VBS this week after work and I haven't had much free time.
I live in Marion County on US 77.

Last month we rode down to Sparks, OK and it took a little over 4 hours.
My uneducated guess it that the good roads in Arkansas are at least a couple of hours further.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
If you are in Marion, Kansas, Highway 160 is pretty scenic, expecially once you get into Missouri. I've been on a ride from Branson down to Peel, Arkansas and across on the ferry. Not a bad ride but kind of a pain when our group had about 50 people in it and it felt like no one had ever ridden in a group before.

I will make a trip before the end of the summer to take on some of the roads but it is definitely a trip you will want to go down there for and stay to enjoy. Trying to go down, ride around, and come back all in one day is a little much. I routinely ride to Branson for work and back in a day and let me tell you, by the time you stop, you are ready for a nap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oldnavylaw said:
If you are in Marion, Kansas, Highway 160 is pretty scenic, expecially once you get into Missouri. I've been on a ride from Branson down to Peel, Arkansas and across on the ferry. Not a bad ride but kind of a pain when our group had about 50 people in it and it felt like no one had ever ridden in a group before.

I will make a trip before the end of the summer to take on some of the roads but it is definitely a trip you will want to go down there for and stay to enjoy. Trying to go down, ride around, and come back all in one day is a little much. I routinely ride to Branson for work and back in a day and let me tell you, by the time you stop, you are ready for a nap.

I've been down to Springfield a couple times but not yet to the Ozarks but they appear to be pretty close in mileage if not a little bit shorter to the Ozarks at least from the KC area that is. We usually leave for Springfield between 7-8 and go down and grab lunch at Lamberts and are usually back by 5 that afternoon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
I've ridden 160 from Winfield to West Mineral to see Big Brutus. It's a nice ride across Kansas, some hills, a few curves and new country from what I usually look at on my normal rides. I'll have to try it into MO sometime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I just got back from a ride to the Ozarks, Eureka Springs is a biker friendly little town, but I would take 2 days, to ride down & back in 1 day would be a long day, I think it was 300 miles 1 way, my wife and I took 4 days 3 nights 1108 miles, rode to Eureka Springs 1st day, down to Hot Springs & then over to Fort Smith 2nd day, 3rd day up to Fayetteville , Rogers, across to Eureka springs again, home the 4th day , we made a lot of stops sight seeing and taking photos, made for a nice easy trip, a lot of the roads down there you will not make the best time on but are a lot of fun to ride, ( 11% grade 20 mph curves, sharp turns ) there was a lot of bikes, did see a lot of Kansas tags,give the car tire a good workout two up, was very happy with the way it handled in the curves, and the way it rode...tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Here's a reason to go:

http://www.lakeoftheozarksbikefest.com

It doesn't look really big right now, but they'll have vendors and live bands. Jimmie Van Zant (all in the bloodline I guess), Marshall Tucker Band, Starship, Molly Hatchet and Foghat.

I'm thinking about going with my woman. If we don't go, it will be because of the weather. I'm a bit of a fair-weather rider, but she definately is! :D

We couldn't do the whole weekend, because of our work schedules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CasperVTX said:
Here's a reason to go:

http://www.lakeoftheozarksbikefest.com

It doesn't look really big right now, but they'll have vendors and live bands. Jimmie Van Zant (all in the bloodline I guess), Marshall Tucker Band, Starship, Molly Hatchet and Foghat.

I'm thinking about going with my woman. If we don't go, it will be because of the weather. I'm a bit of a fair-weather rider, but she definately is! :D

We couldn't do the whole weekend, because of our work schedules.
Thanks for the info!! Why does that have to be the same weekend as Bikers for Babies!! I'd love to ride down though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
LTSRIDE said:
Thanks for the info!! Why does that have to be the same weekend as Bikers for Babies!! I'd love to ride down though!
Yeah, but I'd be back for the big ride on Sunday, so I'm thinking about doing both if it all works out. If the Ozarks deal looks fun for Thursday and Friday that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
I just got back from a short vacation trip to Arkansas. I mainly wanted to check out the roads to see where I want to head with the bike. All around Eureka Springs are great roads with 23 all the way down to the interstate being nice and twisty. I didn't get a chance to get on 7, but plan to when I get the bike down there. The Talimena scenic drive was pretty nice, too, but it gets you a long way from home.
When it cools off I'm heading down again to put on some miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I plan to ride to Fayetteville for the Bikes Blues and BBQ the first weekend in October. Will probably leave Wichita Thursday morning.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top