Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot to be said for riding alone, aometime. I am so tired of being with a group and no one can agree on anything.Where to get gas, where to eat should we stop at this place , what route to take on the way back and on and on.......
I feel so much more free when I am by myself and I go where I want and do as I please.........no discussion.
Lisa

G

·
I've been doing that a lot lately.

Saturday when my wife came home from work in the morning I told her I was going out for a short ride. Came back home 400 miles later. It was such a nice day and the ride was sooooo nice I couldn't stop.

I hit Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. Road with some others I met on the way but never for long as they would turn off along the way.

Another advantage of riding alone -> what happens on the road, stays on the road! :lol:

·
Registered
828 Posts
I never ride in groups, it just defeats the purpose of riding an inherently quick, maneuverable, nimble machine.

What's the sense of joining a procession of singular vehicles that are little more than a moving traffic jam, and half the fun.

If motorcycling is supposed to be about 'freedom' and all that, why do so many riders glop themselves together in a big, slow-moving, restricted, run-by-committee, lumbering herd. I see them every weekend, big groups of from five to twenty bikes or more, plodding through the Black Hills like a noisy funeral procession.

God! just the thought of it makes me claustrophobic!

·
Registered
828 Posts
retrobabe said:
I feel so much more free when I am by myself and I go where I want and do as I please.........no discussion.
Lisa
You're a rare lady! Although I see many women riding their own bikes, I've known very few (One, in fact) who ride motorcycles for the singular pleasure of just riding the machine without all the 'social' baggage and herd mentality.

Do you realize how special that makes you among female riders?

Seriously! one in a thousand.....maybe one in ten thousand.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Art Vandalay said:
retrobabe said:
Lisa
You're a rare lady! Although I see many women riding their own bikes, I've known very few (One, in fact) who ride motorcycles for the singular pleasure of just riding the machine without all the 'social' baggage and herd mentality.

Well stated Art............................ :beer3: Now since I ride almost exclusively alone, I wish she was here in the midwest so I could learn to ride with someone................................ :lol:

Great Job Girl, you Go!

Show

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know if you would consider what I do as riding alone. My family rides with me most of the time (wife on her trike, daughter on her shadow, daughter's boy friend on his sportster, me on my bike) We seldom ride with others due the time schedules we keep. Never really enjoyed group riding...like you said too much bickering.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Small groups aren't bad. The key is the leader who knows the route and riding with people who like to go around the same speed. One of the best ways to check out a new area are to ride with someone who knows it. That way you don't miss the best roads, and don't end up in BFE out of gas.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I do a lot of riding alone. But enjoy riding in a group from time to time too. Can't make too many friends when you're by yourself all the time. I've made some great friends since I started riding again. Just did 3,000+ miles in 9 days with a great group of people.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
retrobabe said:
There is a lot to be said for riding alone, aometime. I am so tired of being with a group and no one can agree on anything.Where to get gas, where to eat should we stop at this place , what route to take on the way back and on and on.......
Lisa
Same here....

:)

Eddie

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Most of my riding is solo...with the occaisional ride with my SO and the rarer group ride (either GWRRA or a women's group I sometimes ride with)... I understand the issues with group rides...especially, ok I am really going to say this: the women's group...they are so disorganized and dishevelled I cannot bear to ride with them lately...at least the Gold Wingers are extremely organized and have the ride planned...so anyway, I prefer riding for the pure joy of riding , not the social aspects, though I do participate once in a while...rode with my SO yesterday and will ride alone today...most people seeing me do not realize I am a woman riding since I wear a full face while riding the VTX...when I ride the trike I wear a half helmet, so people do see me, but then they try and stop me and ask questions about the trike, etc....ride safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Moekazi said:
Small groups aren't bad. The key is the leader who knows the route and riding with people who like to go around the same speed. One of the best ways to check out a new area are to ride with someone who knows it. That way you don't miss the best roads, and don't end up in BFE out of gas.
+1 :D

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Im fortunate or unfortunate depending on how you look at it I dont know anybody that has a scoot and when Im out riding and do run into a group I have yet to be asked to join in. :lol: Ive never been a joiner or a follower so I guess its for the best. Ride safe

Ps. retrobabe I hope you continue to ride safely and hopefully packing heat.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Glennok said:
Art Vandalay said:
I never ride in groups, it just defeats the purpose of riding an inherently quick, maneuverable, nimble machine.
What bike are you riding? This is a VTX board. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used to ride from time to time with friends who had bikes, but over the last year or so several have sold theirs for a variety of reasons. I ride almost 100% of the time alone, which is really how I prefer it. It's nice to go hours without having to speak, just to be alone with your thoughts and the scenery.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Art Vandalay said:
retrobabe said:
Lisa

Thank you very much, I love to ride , and I enjoy it for what it is: a great feeling of freedom.I am not out to impress anyone.
Lisa

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
S&W Triker said:
Most of my riding is solo...with the occaisional ride with my SO and the rarer group ride (either GWRRA or a women's group I sometimes ride with)... I understand the issues with group rides...especially, ok I am really going to say this: the women's group...they are so disorganized and dishevelled I cannot bear to ride with them lately...at least the Gold Wingers are extremely organized and have the ride planned...so anyway, I prefer riding for the pure joy of riding , not the social aspects, though I do participate once in a while...rode with my SO yesterday and will ride alone today...most people seeing me do not realize I am a woman riding since I wear a full face while riding the VTX...when I ride the trike I wear a half helmet, so people do see me, but then they try and stop me and ask questions about the trike, etc....ride safe and enjoy!

You are so right, I was riding with a womens group and became totally frustrated. They coulldn't agree on anything.When I stop to get Gas , go potty or whatever and I take off my Helmet I get some surprised looks..Tennx yes I am carefull and I carry a weapon.I pick and choose where I stop and I try not to be out after dark.
Lisa

G

·
Up to this year, I've ridden mostly solo. My neighbours bought new Hondas, one being a VTX. It's nice to ride with others, but, solo has it's advantages too.

Rode to a deserted little town yesterday with a gentlemen (half day ride), and he didn't think that maybe possibly I'd love to eat lunch. Guess he felt awkward. We were on a time line too, but, come on.

Solo, I'd have found something to eat with no time line. I also solve the world's problems when riding solo. Just seems that no one implements my solutions.

Annette

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
retrobabe said:
S&W Triker said:

You are so right, I was riding with a womens group and became totally frustrated. They coulldn't agree on anything.When I stop to get Gas , go potty or whatever and I take off my Helmet I get some surprised looks..Tennx yes I am carefull and I carry a weapon.I pick and choose where I stop and I try not to be out after dark.
Lisa
... between Saturday noon and Tuesday morning ... try to stay in cell phone range ...

:fullsize:

especially after sunset ...

... but y'all know that ... :wink:

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Glennok said:
Art Vandalay said:
What bike are you riding? This is a VTX board. :D

She probably has the 1800 not one of the little ones. :p

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.