Honda VTX Forum banner

Are you riding during lockdown?

• Anywhere I want. To me it's essential to be on my bike, damn the torpedoes full steam ahead

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Yes for pleasure but only stop is to gas up

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Yes for pleasure, but I'll make sure that I make one essential stop to justify the ride.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No riding unless it's for essential purposes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike wakes up today from hibernation. I do intend to ride when the weather permits, regardless of the lockdown that our State is currently under. I don't know for sure if this is permissable because I don't know where to look to get that question answered. Wouldn't matter, I intend to ride for pleasure, primarily on the backroads like I usually do with a stop for gas on the way back.

How are others approaching this, if your State is also in lockdown mode?

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Well, it's not like we are going to be able to ride anytime soon, winter will not end this year! When it does though, the plan is to ride, to work and for pleasure. No gatherings though as long as this "social distancing" recommendation is in effect.

·
Old Goat
24,846 Posts
My theory is that if u ride ...u blow any would be virus off of u...so its a win,win....I say “Ride Captain Ride”

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My wife and I are adults and make our own decisions. With a 30+ year career in the biomedical industry with some experience in infectious disease, I recognize the textbook spread of a new virus through an immunologically naive population when I see one. There are literally 100's of examples throughout history and all the curves look the same. We, therefore, have limited our travel outside the house, because no matter how careful you try to be, there is always some crazy unimaginable circumstance that can transmit the virus. For example, the handle on the gas pump, money (which about the worst), or your payment card goes in the same reader as 100's of other cards before you, the keypad on the gas pump, the door handle on any door you open, the list goes on and on. Yes, there are somethings we must go out for (food and medicine) but we are changing those routines. For example, we have always picked up our prescriptions at Walmart, but last month we transferred them to CVS and are now getting home delivery. Even after the pandemic passes, I will be glad to not be standing in that ridiculous line at Walmart anymore. We also started doing curbside pick up for groceries and that has gone well so far. Yes, I would prefer to pick out my own fresh produce, but for the moment it is working fine.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I rode last week.. could not find any place to eat-in... so I skipped lunch. and continued to ride.

I rode during the oil embargo.. knowing I must get home before tank ran dry.... no place to purchase gas anywhere..
I did carry a 1 gallon metal gas can .. just in case.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I rode last week.. could not find any place to eat-in... so I skipped lunch. and continued to ride.

I rode during the oil embargo.. knowing I must get home before tank ran dry.... no place to purchase gas anywhere..
The oil embargo, the only time in my life where I joined a demonstration, complaining about what we considered too small of a ration of gasoline for motorcycles (Holland). We all knew we were wasting precious fuel but we had a blast anyway.
😎

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Every state around Pa. implemented travel restrictions last week. Pa. was doing county by county. As of Noon, we are under new county restrictions. Groceries, medications, Dr. visits, essential work places all OK. At least I have plenty of fuel for the lawn mower, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts

I'll pack a sandwich, but ride I will, unless someone wants to put me in jail for it. I won't lie for the joy of riding, but I'm not silly about it either.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Riding around the roads for pleasure isn't going to put anyone at added risk as long as you don't stop anywhere off the roads and just go back home. As long as people are free to travel to essential locations (grocery stores, non-lockdown work) the local law isn't going to be able to tell who's out on the roads for what. All that being said, it's reckless to go out to any unnecessary destinations where virus exposure can be increased.

My work is exempted from closure so I'm still riding daily to/from work. I'm not riding anywhere I don't need to access. VTXCRZR made some good points about how easy this spreads. Anything you touch that others have touched is a potential source of virus spread.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had my last ride on Friday. I realized on my way home when I saw several ambulances, firetrucks and police vehicles zooming by in the opposite direction that being out on the roads for any reason other than food/essential work/emergency home repairs puts these first responders at risk. I was being part of the problem instead of being part of the solution. If you get into an accident, they will have to respond to you, when they should be out helping those who have emergencies not due to personal choices.

There is no way to do this, but I personally think if there is a stay at home order in your area, and you decide to ignore it by driving/riding for nonessential purposes, first responders should ignore you. Obviously there is no way for them to determine if you are out for recreation or for essential purposes. And it is a fair point that essential workers have the right to use their motorcycles to get to and from work.

A bit harsh, but we are now at that point in the NYC metroplex area. Our first responders are getting sick from this virus, and our hospitals (I work at a hospital) do not have space for people who are taking unnecessary risks. You also open yourself up to getting sick from a first responder. And if you are fighting for your life after a motorcycle accident, if you get COVID-19 between the accident and recovering, you might as well assume it is a death sentence... Your body is unlikely to be able to heal AND fight off COVID-19.

There will be plenty of time to ride in the future, we put our bikes up for winter, I just think of it like the winter is going longer. Even if it goes all the way until next winter, I can live to ride another day.

I know this sounds preachy. I'm sorry. You are free to do as you want. Please just consider that you may harm other people (unintentionally) by contracting it, passing it on to someone else, or tying up first responders from being able to help someone really in need.

Our hospital is a level 1 trauma center, we do not have the room for patients who do not NEED to be there. We have opened tents, opened up screening areas in the open areas of our hospital. It really looks like a war zone. If it doesn't look like it in your area yet, it will, just wait.

EDIT: Also, what you may be seeing on the news about refrigerated trucks being used to store bodies is true. The morgues are full, and area hospitals are seeing daily mortality numbers they have never see before.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I had my last ride on Friday. I realized on my way home when I saw several ambulances, firetrucks and police vehicles zooming by in the opposite direction that being out on the roads for any reason other than food/essential work/emergency home repairs puts these first responders at risk. I was being part of the problem instead of being part of the solution. If you get into an accident, they will have to respond to you, when they should be out helping those who have emergencies not due to personal choices.

There is no way to do this, but I personally think if there is a stay at home order in your area, and you decide to ignore it by driving/riding for nonessential purposes, first responders should ignore you. Obviously there is no way for them to determine if you are out for recreation or for essential purposes. And it is a fair point that essential workers have the right to use their motorcycles to get to and from work.

A bit harsh, but we are now at that point in the NYC metroplex area. Our first responders are getting sick from this virus, and our hospitals (I work at a hospital) do not have space for people who are taking unnecessary risks. You also open yourself up to getting sick from a first responder. And if you are fighting for your life after a motorcycle accident, if you get COVID-19 between the accident and recovering, you might as well assume it is a death sentence... Your body is unlikely to be able to heal AND fight off COVID-19.

There will be plenty of time to ride in the future, we put our bikes up for winter, I just think of it like the winter is going longer. Even if it goes all the way until next winter, I can live to ride another day.

I know this sounds preachy. I'm sorry. You are free to do as you want. Please just consider that you may harm other people (unintentionally) by contracting it, passing it on to someone else, or tying up first responders from being able to help someone really in need.

Our hospital is a level 1 trauma center, we do not have the room for patients who do not NEED to be there. We have opened tents, opened up screening areas in the open areas of our hospital. It really looks like a war zone. If it doesn't look like it in your area yet, it will, just wait.

EDIT: Also, what you may be seeing on the news about refrigerated trucks being used to store bodies is true. The morgues are full, and area hospitals are seeing daily mortality numbers they have never see before.
JPT, thanks for that perspective. Obviously things will be different in different regions, but yours is a perspective not seen here yet, and has merit IMO. Can't ride here anyway, snowed last night and was 5'F or -15'C this morning, so no riding for at least several weeks. Sure wish I could though, it's already been a, too long winter.

Whatever you do though, do what you can to stay healthy and keep your family safe. Job #1 right now.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
for me.... a peanut butter and jelly sandwich .. with a bottle of water is fine with me, in the saddle bag.

being anti-social.. I am riding...

if unnecessary traveling and NOT making contact with anyone.. is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
27,869 Posts
A lot of great responses.
I've found the older I get, the warmer it has to be for me to ride comfortably.
That being said, I have taken a few short rides, 50 miles or a little less, in cooler temps just to relieve my PMS.

When the weather warms up, provided we're not on a mandatory lock-down, I'm riding.
As has been said, a couple sandwiches, a bottle of water, another of juice, I'm good to go.

I have noticed the few times I was out, there was very little traffic-perhaps a tiny bit safer to ride.

FWIW, I posted on another site...
I always carry alcohol prep pads due to oily skin. (Drives me nuts when my glasses keep sliping down).
Prep pads are thicker than alcohol swabs, that most Diabetics use.
1 pad cleans both sides of both hands. They're small enough to be kept in a wallet or shirt pocket.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Was watching the local news here in Jackson, MS the other evening, during the weather report they usually show a traffic report from either a helicopter or cameras on top of buildings, the time was 5:15 PM on a Friday. I have seen more traffic than that at 5:15 AM!!!

·
Registered
27,869 Posts
Was watching the local news here in Jackson, MS the other evening, during the weather report they usually show a traffic report from either a helicopter or cameras on top of buildings, the time was 5:15 PM on a Friday. I have seen more traffic than that at 5:15 AM!!!
Yeah. On 1 of my rides I lost track of time, Got on the highway expecting the worse, during rush hour,
sailed right through. Normally it would've been a 30 minute free-for- all.
Actually took less than 10.

·
Registered
767 Posts
As some might know I ride every Wednesday with a group of roughly 20 men. Other states are allowing people to be in groups of two but in my state it is groups of ten with distancing rules etc. For now. This week only seven riders and a short one and a half hour ride weaving through the hills. We are all in a whats app group and the panic merchants have shown their cards. Such negativity from some people I struggle to comprehend. It is the end of summer and every ride we get in before the rain is a choice day out. We all took our own lunch and drink so to me virtually no risk at all. Life is short, live for today.

·
Old Goat
24,846 Posts
The Sunday group I ride with have all baled out and wont ride till this is all over. (Now spending Sundays with the wife, Actually she seems quite nice.)
In these trying times a mans gotta do,what a mans gotta do...(y)

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
this morning..
Texas

no hunting
no fishing
only 2 people per car... most cities will have check points.. tickets will be issued.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts