Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from NJ and am planning my 2-3 day ride for this summer. I would like to make a complete loop around the beautiful state of PA on my VTX1800(F). I would like to keep it to 2-lane backroads. Day 1: Starting in NW Jersey I plan to ride west on Route 6 to Edinboro (just outside Erie).

Here's where I need your help. Day 2 (and 3 if needed): South on Rt 6/19 to 322 to P-burg, then east on Rt 30 to Philly. Will I be happy with this route? Do you have any other route suggestions? Any help would be appreciated---Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Every now and then jump off the beaten path. See a sign that says something interesting? Go check it out. Riding is awesome on its own, but seeing things is what makes the trip.:doorag:

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I am from NJ and am planning my 2-3 day ride for this summer. I would like to make a complete loop around the beautiful state of PA on my VTX1800(F). I would like to keep it to 2-lane backroads. Day 1: Starting in NW Jersey I plan to ride west on Route 6 to Edinboro (just outside Erie).

Here's where I need your help. Day 2 (and 3 if needed): South on Rt 6/19 to 322 to P-burg, then east on Rt 30 to Philly. Will I be happy with this route? Do you have any other route suggestions? Any help would be appreciated---Thanks
Rt 30 at time goes through some busy towns alot of traffic lights. But rt 30 in Gettysburg is worth the stop and take in the views.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
rt.66 pa grand canyon is great to see and ride thur.....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Head through the Pocono Mountains/lakes. My wife used to live in that area and i hated going there (in a cage) but when i reflect to do it on a scoot would of been a way different experience....watch out for the deer, very active wildlife.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Rt 30 at time goes through some busy towns alot of traffic lights. But rt 30 in Gettysburg is worth the stop and take in the views.
i agree with vtxrosa. 30 is great down by gettysburg but turns into a hellride up by york and lancaster, you might want to reconsider

·
Registered
115 Posts
consider rt 8 from Erie area to rt 36. Cooks Forest area lots of scenic areas and places to grab a bite, small amusement parks etc. Still headed to the P-burg area and 322. Just different way. 8)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Take Route 144 off of Route 6 and go down to Renovo. It is a very nice ride in the fall.From there head towards Moshannon and go to Route 53. It is a worth while ride.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Take Route 144 off of Route 6 and go down to Renovo. It is a very nice ride in the fall.From there head towards Moshannon and go to Route 53. It is a worth while ride.
I agree with Chip. The ride around Renovo is beautiful. (my family has a camp there) Just watch out for Pennsylvania wildlife (Deer, Elk & critters)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. Great suggestions. Keep em coming. VTXrosa, thanks for the advice about Rt 30 around York. I will look to avoid while returning east. Also I completely forgot about the gettysburg area--something too look forward to and to incorporate hobbit's advise. English, Yes I plan to cross over to PA at Frenchtown NJ and come up rt 32/611/191 to Rt 6. Smoke, I never saw Rt 8 untill you mentioned it. Looks like it goes straight to rt 30, which I plan to ride to gettysburg. And Chip, darting off 6 was not in the plan but it sounds tempting. Maybe I can route a ride down 144 to Renovo then head back N/W on 120 back to 6 west.

Now for the York PA to NJ leg. Any suggestions for that???

Mike

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Gettysburg is a place that you can spend a WHOLE day there. I visit that place 3-4 times a year. When I head to Ocean City, Nj to visit family I take rt 41 E, which goes south of philly, and take one of 3 routes (rt 40,49,55) which goes through the southern part of NJ.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow. Great suggestions. Keep em coming. VTXrosa, thanks for the advice about Rt 30 around York. I will look to avoid while returning east. Also I completely forgot about the gettysburg area--something too look forward to and to incorporate hobbit's advise. English, Yes I plan to cross over to PA at Frenchtown NJ and come up rt 32/611/191 to Rt 6. Smoke, I never saw Rt 8 untill you mentioned it. Looks like it goes straight to rt 30, which I plan to ride to gettysburg. And Chip, darting off 6 was not in the plan but it sounds tempting. Maybe I can route a ride down 144 to Renovo then head back N/W on 120 back to 6 west.

Now for the York PA to NJ leg. Any suggestions for that???

Mike
32 to 611 may still have a bridge out, right before getting to 611. But no need to fear, follow the detour signs up through the "Ringing Rock" area over to 611. It's not a bad detour and will add 15 minutes to the trip, but what choice have you got? I still can't beleive its been this way for about 3 years though.

·
Registered
579 Posts

Stay away from RT666

1 - 13 of 13 Posts