Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I take off fast from stops. I often don’t realize it until I’m riding with someone and leave them behind. I have trouble staying one speed on the slab if I am completely certain the po po ain’t around. I never let it warm up after firing it up. It’s FI for crying out loud.

I constantly dodge bad places on the road. If I happen to get a smooth road(rare in my state), I relax and check out the view. I wave at kids. I do thumbs up to truckers. I do the “wave” for other motorcycles. I always have a place in mind when I ride where I can pee.

I always plan ahead and fuel up before a ride or have a place in mind to stop before the low fuel light comes on. I always give way to fools and idiots and of course, I see them every time I ride. A 4 way intersection is a trap for guys like me… someone just itchin to nail me.

I signal 100% of the time… well, maybe it’s 98% of the time. I do short sleeves and short britches. Always wear gloves and boots. Saw a dude in flippity flops on a vtx the other day. I watch out for road kill. I saw almost a dozen dead things over the weekend. I try to have plenty of room between car in front, side, and behind me. I never ever run parallel with another vehicle. I’m either way behind or in front. I have gum and/or mints for dry mouth and always make sure I’m well hydrated especially in summer. I fix anything that is rattling. I only want to hear the wind and the pipes. I take a break after about an hour of riding. I will not ride if my shield is nasty.

I do not ride fast where there are homes. I slow down at every hill, curve, and intersection. I kiss my wife before I leave and tell her around the time I'll be home.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
With the exception of ---
"Signaling 98% of the time",,, and "taking off fast",,, you pretty much described my riding style. I occasionally wear shorts too, though I know it's not the safest thing to do. Don't always wear boots, but never wear "low tops". Most of the time wear gloves, except when it is really hot.
Always wear a helmet. But can't STAND riding a dirty bike!!!! Usually clean it up before I ride AND after I get back. And I DO let her warm up for a minute before I take off. My tank never gets empty because I always have to pee first, so might as well top off the tank!!!
My $0.02......

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I think everyone had a slightly different or completely different style.

boots, long slacks. (Dickies), long sleeve shirt, heavy thick belt, sometimes leather coat, leather gloves, modular helmet. always.

I go easy in first and second. run the speed limit +5.... except in the curves.
do little sightseeing, looking at road ahead..and checking mirrors.. never swerve to avoid animals.
if it moves I check it out with my eyes.

I do very little freeways/highways... 2 lanes are my preferred way.
wave at all 2 wheelers, engine or not.

I am sure I could wright a book on this subject.. 46 years of riding do teach me things.

I always kiss the wife goodby... I call when I stop for lunch. (past 5 years).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We have a couple Prius', so I am kind of used to starting off slowly and coasting to a stop. I wear shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers in hot weather. I have learned to exhale while going past road kill. The larger the kill the further away I exhale.

·
Registered
27,857 Posts
This time of year, T-shirt, leather vest. Long jeans & work boots (Irish Setters) always.

Once the light changes & I'm sure there's no more cross traffic, I take off moderately fast.
Using the gears, I can run it up to 50, without revving the motor hard, and attracting the attention of You-Know-Who!

In town, I travel at the speed of traffic.
I make it a point not to blast through neighborhoods.

When I bought my new bike, I had trouble on the highway.
It's so smooth & comfortable, I was wondering why everyone else on the hi-way was dawdling,
'till I checked my speedo. 95-100 MPH. I've since learned to pay more attention to my speed.

When I cruise the back roads I take it easy. Very relaxing.
If I see people riding Hot, when it's safe, I pull over and wave them around.

Edit To Add;
I never use my signals-it's nobody's business where I'm going. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I take off fast from stops. I often don’t realize it until I’m riding with someone and leave them behind. I have trouble staying one speed on the slab if I am completely certain the po po ain’t around. I never let it warm up after firing it up. It’s FI for crying out loud.

I constantly dodge bad places on the road. If I happen to get a smooth road(rare in my state), I relax and check out the view. I wave at kids. I do thumbs up to truckers. I do the “wave” for other motorcycles. I always have a place in mind when I ride where I can pee.

I always plan ahead and fuel up before a ride or have a place in mind to stop before the low fuel light comes on. I always give way to fools and idiots and of course, I see them every time I ride. A 4 way intersection is a trap for guys like me… someone just itchin to nail me.

I signal 100% of the time… well, maybe it’s 98% of the time. I do short sleeves and short britches. Always wear gloves and boots. Saw a dude in flippity flops on a vtx the other day. I watch out for road kill. I saw almost a dozen dead things over the weekend. I try to have plenty of room between car in front, side, and behind me. I never ever run parallel with another vehicle. I’m either way behind or in front. I have gum and/or mints for dry mouth and always make sure I’m well hydrated especially in summer. I fix anything that is rattling. I only want to hear the wind and the pipes. I take a break after about an hour of riding. I will not ride if my shield is nasty.

I do not ride fast where there are homes. I slow down at every hill, curve, and intersection. I kiss my wife before I leave and tell her around the time I'll be home.
We sound an awful lot alike - except for the short britches. While jeans are a bit hotter, they block the exhaust heat from the back of my leg.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I burn my leg every summer due to shorts. There is no shield on the pipe... I can just barely touch and burns like hell. I can look at the spot on leg and not see a burn but that scab is coming.
I wish I could be a real man and wear long jeans but I guess I'll be a wimp and risk burning my leg or worse yet, road rash. :surprise: :serious:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Well, the summer heat is quite different for me, up here in the northwest compared to what you deal with in Mississippi

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Slacks, 100 percent of the time.. riding or NOT.
112 degree in Arizona , wearing slacks on a full dressed 1983 Goldwing.. in the city as well. radiator heat with fans on, blowing on legs.
Factory Chrome exhaust pipes turned BLUE at the heads.

all part of riding. just like boots and gloves.

:), your life , your skin. :) , your choice. :)
_______________________:blkc:_______________________

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've put in 36 years and 625,000 miles on a wide variety of motorcycles (325k on BMWs). I always wear jeans, usually wear boots, always my leather vest but I will wear tank tops (we hit 100 + degrees every year), and wear good shoes or boots. As the weather cools, I wear mesh then Kevlar jackets over an electric liner. I used to rabbit start until idiots decided they needed to run red lights to hit Walmart sales. Now I wait a second or two then head out. As my VTX doesn't get great mileage, I take off nice and easy and run through the gears smoothly. When entering the highway, I get up to what I consider highway speed (85+) and slide in then drop to speed of traffic. My favorite roads are two lanes through the hills. If you are ever in Northern California, hit me up here or on FB at 530Let'sRide and we can get together for a ride, some tasty food and good conversation!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm itching to ride along the Pacific ocean all the way up into the little hills y'all have there in CA. :grin2:

If I can ever get retired and get my lower back in better shape, I'm outta here! Too much livin to do and too much America to see. Places that lots of people take for granted.

I mentioned that I take off too fast... that is always after I've looked both ways even after light turns green because down here, somebody is always talking on iphone and drivin big ass trucks/suvs.

LOL! I passed a lady one day shaving her face with elec razor... I couldn't unsee it. pretty sure it was a her. :D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I have ridden California extensively. I am happy to act as a tour guide to you, or anyone else here who wants to see some great country. Even though this state IS run by liberals.
Fixed it for you!

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I have rode the Left coast. (once)... its is a great ride..

Napa Valley... up the coast, feet from a 200 foot drop off..

going over a Crest and seeing Mount Hood in Full Sun covered in Snow in August...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I wish I could be a real man and wear long jeans but I guess I'll be a wimp and risk burning my leg or worse yet, road rash. :surprise: :serious:
Once you've had road rash, you'll likely change to wearing jeans, and maybe even more on your legs, as well as boots and the rest of the gear. Having "been there, done that", I can tell you that it's NO fun!! I was just taking off from a stop light, and couldn't have been doing more than 20-30mph, but only spent the weekend in the hospital with nurses picking gravel out of my palms, and knee, and I NEVER want to do that again!!! As soon as I got out of the hospital, it was off to the leather store to get some chaps to go with my leather jacket and new gloves. I also ALWAYS wear steel-toed boots when I ride. I don't care how hot it is, I'm protecting my feet and ankles, because if I had NOT had that steel in the toes of my boots when I had my wreck, I'd have probably lost half my big toe, or more! Instead, I have a dime sized chewed up spot of steel showing through the leather on those boots. I'm also considering getting some armor to go underneath all my gear.

The more you ride in the heat in all your gear, the more your body will adjust, and you won't even notice it after a while. :grin2:

BTW, my son had a wreck on his bike only a couple weeks ago, and is STILL recovering! He had put on his chaps just before we took off, and we were probably about an hour into a 3-4 hour ride, but had slowed down to about 20-30mph in a tiny 'berg in the middle of nowhere when a couple of dogs ran out into the street in front of the Jeep pulling a trailer in front of him. They slammed on their brakes, and he slammed on his, skidded for about 20-30 feet, and then lost control. Bike ended up almost upside down on top of him on the right side. Because he was wearing his gear, ALL of it, including new steel-toed shoes, he didn't have ANY road rash. The EMTs were actually nice enough to keep his 'colors' in tact, and got his chaps off without cutting, but still cut his jacket and shirt off. His right glove was missing the little finger, and the next was about halfway torn off, but NO marks on his hands. His full face helmet had some scrapes on the right side, too, and his right shoe was chewed up on the outside a bit, but still wearable. He still ended up with 3 broken ribs, and a collar bone broke in 3 pieces, which was a spiral fracture. The orthopedic surgeon who fixed the collar bone said the procedure normally takes 45 minutes total, but it took him 45 minutes JUST to put the bone back together and in the right place. Then, he used the biggest metal plate he had, and STILL wished it had "another hole". 6 screws, and an hour and a half later, and he's all back together, but the ribs are STILL healing, and causing him pain, and probably will for a couple of months.

I say all this simply as a warning and a caution to everyone. Wear the gear, no matter how hot it is. You're better of having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it. As I said before, your body has a wonderful way of adjusting, and you'll soon not even notice the heat, except possibly for your breathing. I still have trouble breathing in the extreme heat, like I'm not getting enough oxygen. If heat is still a problem for you in the gear you have, get better gear that breathes, but still has the armor in it.

Some will still say they don't need it, but when they're lying on the side of the road, with body parts all chewed up, screaming out in pain, they'll WISH they had listened to me.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
sometime ago.."Road Rash"... I got road rash on the top side of my hands... when I put a 6 inch crack in a fiberglass helmet.

I must wear gloves.. as I must never allow a slight sunburn... on the healed road rash..

I even need to wear light gloves while riding the bicycle.

that area will never suntan... just deep sunburn.. and good way of getting skin cancer..
spf 50 will not prevent the sunburns. so I have cotton white, tan, brown, black.. then leather in black.
even the 1 hour to cut grass.. must wear gloves.

so not just the road rash pain till it heals.. but issues the rest of your life.

Ride Safe, Ride Often

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The more you ride in the heat in all your gear, the more your body will adjust, and you won't even notice it after a while.
I will not make excuses... I'm flirting with danger! Bare body parts do not mix well sliding across hard and rocky surfaces. A majority of my rides are away from high traffic areas. It is usually when I am getting to the two lanes or almost home that I'm around the most traffic and the idgits out to get me and I've had quite a few close calls because they don't see me.

Being aware and sensitive to the finality of getting nailed by a 4 wheeled perpetrator keeps me pretty keyed up until I am mostly alone. One single BAD experience with road rash will end my riding experience. Personally, a no-brainer for me. I want to go to heaven with all my body parts and the same brain cell inside my helmet.

In my locality, most motorcycle fatalities happen on heavily traveled roads and highways. I've seen too many news stories and known too many riders that have lost their lives while riding.

Say I have 20 more years to live on this earth. I want all of those years to contain safe riding experiences for me. It is as important to me as any sport or hobby that many people have. My bro is a big golfer and plays often. I never play but I doubt that he could love golfing more than I do riding.

It gets so stinking hot and humid here, if I were forced to wear a jacket, long pants, and a full faced helmet, I would sell the bike first.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Ride,, and Ride some more...

for me, started 1969 and still counting.. not a single summer missed.
north of 65 years old. still average 6 to 8,000 miles per year.
385,000 miles so far.

I lost my first motorcycle riding buddy in 1970 ... and many since..
last one, Bill, "Troll".. R.I.P. 2014 and he was my first riding buddy from 1970. but he took many years off.. then returned.

all I ask Everyone... consider taking advance riding courses... might help. at the right time.

I have had 4 back operations, one knee, both wrists. and still ride.. an Blind in one eye.
and NO , not one was from a motorcycle.

How you ride.. and How you dress or protect yourself.. is YOURS.

I will not Judge you.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still see guys riding almost side by side. Sometimes traveling to another state, I'll see a rider without a helmet and I'm initially shocked because I forget about helmet laws per state.
I cringe when I see a rider blowing thru a 4-way intersection loaded with cars/trucks waiting for their turn. At work, I'm on the 6th floor with a huge window facing I-220 and even with the very thick double paned window, I can hear the crotch rockets screaming down the slab. Some old lady or phone texting teenie bopper will pull out in front of them eventually.

It is a given that what goes around comes around and IF we are not accountable for ALL the things that we do, this includes riding style and proper gear, we will get caught.

If you think you're getting away with something... ANYTHING, just wait! A thief, liar, law breaker, murderer, cheater, sinner, the perfect man/perfect woman, gossiper, and so on and so forth always gets it. A good looking woman or man eventually ain't good looking. An expert thief eventually gets caught.

Even if you try and do every little thing right when your are riding a great big vtx1800 beast, you can fail. Say you have gone over that machine with a fine tooth comb. You have detailed it until it blinds you to look at it and then ride it like a fool, eventually you will be broken and so will your beast.

I tell myself often that I do not want to end my riding days because I made a stupid thoughtless mistake.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Once you've had road rash, you'll likely change to wearing jeans, and maybe even more on your legs, as well as boots and the rest of the gear. Having "been there, done that", I can tell you that it's NO fun!! I was just taking off from a stop light, and couldn't have been doing more than 20-30mph, but only spent the weekend in the hospital with nurses picking gravel out of my palms, and knee, and I NEVER want to do that again!!! As soon as I got out of the hospital, it was off to the leather store to get some chaps to go with my leather jacket and new gloves. I also ALWAYS wear steel-toed boots when I ride. I don't care how hot it is, I'm protecting my feet and ankles, because if I had NOT had that steel in the toes of my boots when I had my wreck, I'd have probably lost half my big toe, or more! Instead, I have a dime sized chewed up spot of steel showing through the leather on those boots. I'm also considering getting some armor to go underneath all my gear.

The more you ride in the heat in all your gear, the more your body will adjust, and you won't even notice it after a while. :grin2:

BTW, my son had a wreck on his bike only a couple weeks ago, and is STILL recovering! He had put on his chaps just before we took off, and we were probably about an hour into a 3-4 hour ride, but had slowed down to about 20-30mph in a tiny 'berg in the middle of nowhere when a couple of dogs ran out into the street in front of the Jeep pulling a trailer in front of him. They slammed on their brakes, and he slammed on his, skidded for about 20-30 feet, and then lost control. Bike ended up almost upside down on top of him on the right side. Because he was wearing his gear, ALL of it, including new steel-toed shoes, he didn't have ANY road rash. The EMTs were actually nice enough to keep his 'colors' in tact, and got his chaps off without cutting, but still cut his jacket and shirt off. His right glove was missing the little finger, and the next was about halfway torn off, but NO marks on his hands. His full face helmet had some scrapes on the right side, too, and his right shoe was chewed up on the outside a bit, but still wearable. He still ended up with 3 broken ribs, and a collar bone broke in 3 pieces, which was a spiral fracture. The orthopedic surgeon who fixed the collar bone said the procedure normally takes 45 minutes total, but it took him 45 minutes JUST to put the bone back together and in the right place. Then, he used the biggest metal plate he had, and STILL wished it had "another hole". 6 screws, and an hour and a half later, and he's all back together, but the ribs are STILL healing, and causing him pain, and probably will for a couple of months.

I say all this simply as a warning and a caution to everyone. Wear the gear, no matter how hot it is. You're better of having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it. As I said before, your body has a wonderful way of adjusting, and you'll soon not even notice the heat, except possibly for your breathing. I still have trouble breathing in the extreme heat, like I'm not getting enough oxygen. If heat is still a problem for you in the gear you have, get better gear that breathes, but still has the armor in it.

Some will still say they don't need it, but when they're lying on the side of the road, with body parts all chewed up, screaming out in pain, they'll WISH they had listened to me.
Maybe I'm not understanding the full story but if your only riding at 20-30 MPH and you have to "slam on the brakes, skid and lose control", can't perform evasive maneuvers and still wreck, then you are very likely following too closely even if the car in front hits the brakes for no reason. I'm glad everyone was relatively OK, heal fast and well :smile2:

At higher speeds, it's common for the vast majority to not leave enough room....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts