Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the full story but if your only riding at 20-30 MPH and you have to "slam on the brakes, skid and lose control", can't perform evasive maneuvers and still wreck, then you are very likely following too closely even if the car in front hits the brakes for no reason. I'm glad everyone was relatively OK, heal fast and well :smile2:

At higher speeds, it's common for the vast majority to not leave enough room....
Well, he hasn't been riding very long, and he was already starting to slow down, but then the car in front of him hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting the dogs (driver is a HUGE dog lover, and had her dog with her). I think part of it was my son's inexperience, usually using MOSTLY the back brake, instead of the other way around (they say you should typically use 60-70% front and 30-40% rear), coupled with the bike being "light" in the back end (it's a VLX600), and the back brakes are kinda "grabby", so that back tire locks up QUICK! That combination of things I think is what caused the crash.

As for my own crash, I was leaned into a left hand turn, and hadn't practiced that maneuver, so when I hit the brake, the bike almost immediately laid down on the left side, even though I grabbed the front brake first and harder. Also, that bike was a Kawasaki ZL-1 600, which has different gearing and performance, and I was just getting back on a bike after a 5-6 year hiatus.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts