Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any ideas or tips? not really sure if i'm going to go but my friends want me to and i hate flying. been thinking of riding the trip for a long time. if i go it'll be early august. anyone have good experience with riding a distance like that? hotel tips or anything. i'd appreciate any help/advice from the more experienced riders. i've done some long hauls in a car, 29 in one stint, but that's not a bike.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
texas

Jim & Colleen whom post here on the board just finished Texas and back and joined us for the rally at Mardon this past weekend. Jim is originally from Texas and I'm sure would give you lot's of usefull advice.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
This time of year I can tell you make sure your bike is in very good shape. You also need to be in good shape. You can't use too heavy of a SPF sunscreen, buy good MC glass or goggles, and drink lots of water and gatorade (sugary sodas don't get it for fluid replenishment)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon's1800VTXC said:
This time of year I can tell you make sure your bike is in very good shape. You also need to be in good shape. You can't use too heavy of a SPF sunscreen, buy good MC glass or goggles, and drink lots of water and gatorade (sugary sodas don't get it for fluid replenishment)
just got my bike back from the shop. changed the oil a little while ago and has it tuned and a new PC installed. plan on wearing a mesh jacket for most of the trip. not so worried about the face. half japanese. takes a lot to burn me but SPF100000 iis probably not a bad idea. definitly bringing the camel back then. new googles are already on the way. anyone here use an ipod or zune while riding? know it's not the smartest, but it'll get boring

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mp3

I use a Sansa MP3 player quite a bit. It's nice to have a bit of music, and if I get bored with it, I just turn it off and let the earbuds act as earplugs.....

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
thejesse said:
Jon's1800VTXC said:
just got my bike back from the shop. changed the oil a little while ago and has it tuned and a new PC installed. plan on wearing a mesh jacket for most of the trip. not so worried about the face. half japanese. takes a lot to burn me but SPF100000 iis probably not a bad idea. definitly bringing the camel back then. new googles are already on the way. anyone here use an ipod or zune while riding? know it's not the smartest, but it'll get boring
I use an IPOD nano all the time, even in Seattle. Quick question about your PCIII, did they use the Vampire clip??? If your not sure pull the seat and check it :wink: If you need help let me know. I can't tell you how many bad connections and cut wires I've repaired. Also, double check the battery cable tightness :wink: Most shops don't take the time to double check them and these are big issues of failure.

Jon

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
thejesse said:
Jon's1800VTXC said:
iPod or iRiver when I am on the slab. Twisties, sweepers and country roads not that often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon's1800VTXC said:
thejesse said:
[quote="Jon's1800VTXC":27j74mnw]This time of year I can tell you make sure your bike is in very good shape. You also need to be in good shape. You can't use too heavy of a SPF sunscreen, buy good MC glass or goggles, and drink lots of water and gatorade (sugary sodas don't get it for fluid replenishment)
I use an IPOD nano all the time, even in Seattle. Quick question about your PCIII, did they use the Vampire clip??? If your not sure pull the seat and check it :wink: If you need help let me know. I can't tell you how many bad connections and cut wires I've repaired. Also, double check the battery cable tightness :wink: Most shops don't take the time to double check them and these are big issues of failure.

Jon[/quote:27j74mnw]

well... they didn't use one of those. and for the battery... few months ago before i went to sea i was having trouble with backfire and stuff. even put a post up on here and no one really had an idea that worked. the day i was taking it in. i got it there barely, then when they when to ride it around to the back it was dead. no start. turns out it was lose battery connectors..... they're tight now. just put my tender leads on to make sure. those stupid vampire connectors are screwing up my lightbar... makes me sad.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
thejesse said:
Jon's1800VTXC said:
I use my Zune almost every time I ride longer than a few miles. I also do have my cell phone, that way if something important comes up and my family needs to get ahold of me they can. This weekend my chatterbox died while in Spokane. I was fallowing my husband. It would have been nice for him to be able to have called me and asked if I needed to stop instead of me trying to get beside him and signal him.
I don't have long conversations but I do like having it available. Also if I need to stop and make a call I can and not have to take my helmet off.
As for Texas in early August. Yikes, too hot for me. I rode to Spokane and back and had to drink tons and tons of water and stop alot to go to the bathroom. I think if I were going to be riding in that heat I would get a cooling vest.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
thejesse said:
Jon's1800VTXC said:
thejesse said:
[quote="Jon's1800VTXC":2ie8v1iz]This time of year I can tell you make sure your bike is in very good shape. You also need to be in good shape. You can't use too heavy of a SPF sunscreen, buy good MC glass or goggles, and drink lots of water and gatorade (sugary sodas don't get it for fluid replenishment)

Jon

well... they didn't use one of those. and for the battery... few months ago before i went to sea i was having trouble with backfire and stuff. even put a post up on here and no one really had an idea that worked. the day i was taking it in. i got it there barely, then when they when to ride it around to the back it was dead. no start. turns out it was lose battery connectors..... they're tight now. just put my tender leads on to make sure. those stupid vampire connectors are screwing up my lightbar... makes me sad.[/quote:2ie8v1iz]

Hmmm, I don't remember seeing you post before :? I might have been gone or something myself. Usually that is one of my first recomendations to check cables. Oh well, if you ever need anything let me know. I've gotten to know these bikes pretty well 8)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
to thejesse

As Bob[onaboat] said, we just finished the ride ourselves. In addition, I did it solo 3 years ago. I did the ride down in June both times and the one back in mid-July both times. August will be a biiiit warmer!

There are many variables affecting your route. I have strong aversion to city riding, so avoided SLC and Denver. I am completely unable to ride on cliffs or anything like them, so I chose my route accordingly.

So our route was to take I-84, not a bad slab at all, thru OR and to I-86 to Pocatello ID. Poc has very little traffic. We then took 30 thru ID down to I-80-- a nice ride with good sights and little traffic--okay a few 18wheelers, but it wasn't bad at all. We hooked up on I-80 to Rawlins WY. I-80 is faster by a click or so but it's a good ride for a slab.

We went to Cheyenne and turned south on 85 down to Limon. A boring ride but easy. From Limon we went to TX, entering north of Amarillo. Depending on where you're going in TX, the ride may actually just be starting. We meandered thru College Station, New Braunfels, Port OConnor, Floresville then Galveston seeing friends & family.

Ride back was very similar.

I made motel reservations thru expedia.com well in advance, but had to call and cancel a couple [it rained in TX whole time so we chose Plan B and even C twice or so]. You take chances on getting rooms at last minute, tho' on my solo ride it was only a pain in WY [it's a mining route and the motels fill up FAST with mine workers].

On my solo ride I took cash, and a clothes for two days, 'washing' each night in the shower then drying. On Colleen and my ride, we had 2 bikes one with a Cruser bag, so she took much more...

Any specific questions, just fire away.

Our trip [as well as my earlier one] was simply great.

It was fantastic to end it in Mardon, though. That really did add a lot.

Jim

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Just did a similar ride.
If I can make it - you can make it! :D
Used mesh the whole trip. Wet down your shirt under the mesh on occasion, especially the arms. Evaporative cooling is great. Also used a balaclava under helmet. Wet it down too, if your face is cool you feel cool all over. Only lasts about 10 minutes though.
I used no sunscreen at all but then I was completely covered. If skin shows- sunscreen it.
Cold water is free at the service station fountains and no one in 6000 miles gave me any hassle about taking their water. A quart at every gas stop seemed about right which was about every 110 miles.
Shift around on the seat A LOT!
Tunes an ok idea but do pay attention. Found that I didn't use it as much as planned on.
Be very aware of the onset of heat stroke/exhaustion.
ENJOY the ride and the scenery.

·
Registered
605 Posts
About the only thing I can add is lose the cotton underwear for a couple pairs of decent bicycle shorts or get one of them sheepskin seat covers. That was prolly the worst part of my trip thru the heat was always having a soggy butt,,,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts