Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had to go to where my bike broke down and do some repairs in order to get home and Iforgot my Helmet.
The half hour ride home without a helmet reminded me of why I fell in love with bikes in the first place.

When I first bought this bike a few months ago I started out with a full face helmet, heavy duty leather jackets,gloves etc but I have progressively found myself becoming more and more naked when it comes to protective gear.

The last few months I have seen 2 types of bikers, ones who are fully cocooned in protective gear head to toe and the 2nd type are people wearing nothing but some glasses.

I know the smart thing to do is to wear protective gear for those what if situations but it seems to me you get to the point you've wrapped yourself so much in protective gear that it defeats the purpose of the bike.

What is everyone's opinion and experience with this?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I have a helmet .... from a wreck.. I would have died...

6 inch crack up the back of the helmet.. and both sides of helmet were ground to nothing...

I was "OUT" for over 12 hours.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
3/4 helmet, gloves, boots. Blue jean jacket spring and fall.
Jeans all the time, no shorts. I lost keys wearing shorts once.
That is it except in winter a heavy leather jacket.

A long sleeve shirt in summer to block UV...

·
Super Moderator
6,366 Posts
Ride your own ride. But weigh carefully the advice you get from long time riders. If you crash, even at slow speed a helmet can save your life or even just your way of life. Your chances of losing either or both go way way up without head protection. Good and adequate head protection.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I was the same. Back in the day, when I rode sport bikes, I wore a full face helmet, leather and gloves, all of the time. I took a break from riding and picked it up again when I got the VTX. The I rode with a mesh riding jacket, or leather, gloves and a modular / full face helmet. As time progressed I slowly eased up on AGATT (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AGATT), and went to a half helmet and often rode in jeans and T-Shirt, sneakers. Because of the wind noise with the half helmet, I now wear a quality (Shoei) 3/4 helmet and often ride bare sleeved wearing jeans and sneakers. I almost always wear gloves, not because I might wreck, although we all know that is a distinct possibility every time you ride, but because a grasshopper hurts like a bugger off the knuckles.

On our ride to Sturgis in 2014, I rode the VTX without a helmet once. It felt ... weird. I wasn't comfortable with it, even though at the time I rode with a half helmet. IMHO you should ride however you are most comfortable. Although I completely advocate always wearing a helmet, I do not endorse it's legislation. The province to our east has tried and is trying to legislate AGATT for bikers, and it is a mine field of legislation. It seems ridiculous that one can legislate what type of jackets or gloves or footwear are appropriate or such are "required" at all. Either way I don't believe in a nanny state and I don't believe in such legislation.

Just a heads up for everyone as well. This is another down side to government funded health care. Once the government controls health care, it becomes a pivotal point in any discussion involving injury mitigation. After all it's not just the individual that suffers exposure to risk anymore. It's a slippery slope my friends and liberty often comes at the expense of dollars. It shouldn't but when they can make it about cash, then liberty comes second.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Yesterday I had to go to where my bike broke down and do some repairs in order to get home and Iforgot my Helmet.
The half hour ride home without a helmet reminded me of why I fell in love with bikes in the first place.

When I first bought this bike a few months ago I started out with a full face helmet, heavy duty leather jackets,gloves etc but I have progressively found myself becoming more and more naked when it comes to protective gear.

The last few months I have seen 2 types of bikers, ones who are fully cocooned in protective gear head to toe and the 2nd type are people wearing nothing but some glasses.

I know the smart thing to do is to wear protective gear for those what if situations but it seems to me you get to the point you've wrapped yourself so much in protective gear that it defeats the purpose of the bike.

What is everyone's opinion and experience with this?
The difference between cocooned and "naked" riders is the naked riders have not hit the pavement yet.

Back in the day we had a customer that had a close encounter with the ground, while riding drunk in shorts and flip flops.
He lost 8 toes and destroyed both kneed caps, along with various degrees of road rash.

Not worth it guys & gals.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I live in an area where helmets are mandatory, I've ridden in parking lots without a helmet and it just doesn't feel right. I am a "cocooned" rider as you call it. I wear a jacket 99.9% of the time, mesh in the summer, with padding on the elbows. Always long pants, except that one time when a wasp flew up my shorts and I wished I wore my pants. Jeans, or cotton pants with my textile chaps over them. I have a pair of textile pants with padding, but usually only wear them in cooler weather. I also put my bike down 25 years ago. My leather jacket, pants and helmet took all the damage, it would have been messy otherwise. It was cold out, I was wearing the leather for that reason only, back then I was a shorts and t-shirt rider.

This is me, and based on my experiences. I don't judge people on what they wear when they ride, it's your ride, ride it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Not looking to jinks myself, but been riding over 60 years without a helmet. Almost forgot, I do wear a MAGA hat and a helmet where states require it. No accidents or injuries (knock on wood)

·
Registered
937 Posts
The difference between cocooned and "naked" riders is the naked riders have not hit the pavement yet.

Back in the day we had a customer that had a close encounter with the ground, while riding drunk in shorts and flip flops.
He lost 8 toes and destroyed both kneed caps, along with various degrees of road rash.

Not worth it guys & gals.

Well drunk, shorts, flip flops tells me a lot about the guy. Just saying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The choice is strictly yours but from a medical viewpoint, a full helmet is going to give more protection (face and side of head) than a 1/2 helmet. traveling the back roads at 55 MPH or less may benefit you (it did me ... accident in 2017 (not on the VTX) ... head and spinal cord injury but alive to ride again ... as soon as I can get my bike running) ... but at 65 or more MPH those injuries probably be worse even with a full helmet ... depends on your philosophy ... better alive and crippled or dead ... we take these risks whenever we ride ... it is and should be up to the rider.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here in Canada there is no choice but to wear a helmet. There are very few occasions in my almost 30 years of riding that I can tell you I rode with out one. Of course in a safety perspective nobody can argue that you're much better off wearing a helmet then not wearing one. In my opinion though based on my riding habits should I spill I don't think that helmet alone would make a difference. If I'm doing a hundred miles on the freeway and have a spill, I think the only thing that will save me is divine intervention.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I was the same. Back in the day, when I rode sport bikes, I wore a full face helmet, leather and gloves, all of the time. I took a break from riding and picked it up again when I got the VTX. The I rode with a mesh riding jacket, or leather, gloves and a modular / full face helmet. As time progressed I slowly eased up on AGATT (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AGATT), and went to a half helmet and often rode in jeans and T-Shirt, sneakers. Because of the wind noise with the half helmet, I now wear a quality (Shoei) 3/4 helmet and often ride bare sleeved wearing jeans and sneakers. I almost always wear gloves, not because I might wreck, although we all know that is a distinct possibility every time you ride, but because a grasshopper hurts like a bugger off the knuckles.

On our ride to Sturgis in 2014, I rode the VTX without a helmet once. It felt ... weird. I wasn't comfortable with it, even though at the time I rode with a half helmet. IMHO you should ride however you are most comfortable. Although I completely advocate always wearing a helmet, I do not endorse it's legislation. The province to our east has tried and is trying to legislate AGATT for bikers, and it is a mine field of legislation. It seems ridiculous that one can legislate what type of jackets or gloves or footwear are appropriate or such are "required" at all. Either way I don't believe in a nanny state and I don't believe in such legislation.

Just a heads up for everyone as well. This is another down side to government funded health care. Once the government controls health care, it becomes a pivotal point in any discussion involving injury mitigation. After all it's not just the individual that suffers exposure to risk anymore. It's a slippery slope my friends and liberty often comes at the expense of dollars. It shouldn't but when they can make it about cash, then liberty comes second.

:agree:

Harkon, excellent points made. :thumbup:

·
Registered
27,649 Posts
Per vtox's post;

Back when I was new to riding, a bunch of us were riding on a late Spring day. We stopped for a light, when it turned green, we took off, making a right turn.

A guy 2 bikes in front of me hit some leftover sand from Winter.
His front wheel scooted out from under him, he went down & cracked his skull on the curb.
He was dead where he lay.

Here in Connecticut, it's mandatory to take the MSF Basic Rider Course to get your motorcycle endorsement.

Since I started riding (Legally) in '05 I've worn a helmet. 3/4 with face-shield & integrated sun visor.
Heavy jeans, good, over the ankle work boots, T-shirt & vest.

Obviously, the cooler it gets, the more I wear. Sweatshirt, heavy Leather jacket & warm gloves.

Our helmet law requires anyone on a motorcycle, rider or passenger under 18 must wear a helmet.
Also, if you procure a Permit to ride before you're licensed, you must wear a helmet regardless of age.

The 3 states bordering Ct have mandatory helmet laws. RI requires the passenger to wear a helmet.
NY & MA, have mandatory helmet laws.

I've seen MA cops, just over their border, stop riders without helmets, mostly around the time when riders are heading to Laconia.

·
Registered
309 Posts
foolish not to wear a helmet...
if you have ever gone down on a bike/atv or any power sport vehicle you know what i am talking about.
i would never ride without a helmet....feel naked without it i am so used to it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The real danger is not from riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but from riding, period. If we're justified in requiring helmets to save medical expenses, why not simply outlaw motorcycles entirely? That would prevent a lot more death and injury.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts