21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
25,868 Posts
foolish not to wear a helmet...
if you have ever gone down on a bike/atv or any power sport vehicle you know what i am talking about.
i would never ride without a helmet....feel naked without it i am so used to it.
Yeah. When I work on my bike & test drive it through my neighborhood w/o a helmet, it does feel strange.

·
Registered
642 Posts
To be or not to be, that is the question. Wearing full protective gear makes some feel so safe, they take foolish risks. Wearing no helmet makes one feel vulnerable, and slows some down, but oh the feeling of freedom. We have to wear helmets here in Australia and always have had to, however, the Aust standard is set by dropping a set weight from a specified height onto the helmet and ensuring there is no damage. Im fairly confident the American standard is a similar foolish test. Never have I come across someone who has landed on the very top of their helmet. Sometimes the standard can be passed but the helmet is really not worthy of your money. I am in the wear what suits you and your circumstance camp. Years ago I holidayed in Bali (gods own playground) and they had no helmet laws. Rode the hire bike all day in the tropical heat and got sunburned right to the hairline on skin that had never been burned before. Painful and for those with an 8 inch parting in their hair it would be worse !

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I ride with a 3/4 helmet. That's what I have always had. I've tried on full face helmets a few times but they felt weird to me. I'm due for another helmet soon so will probably try a full or maybe a modular full. I know the protection is way better than the 3/4, if I can just get used to wearing it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I ride with a 3/4 helmet. That's what I have always had. I've tried on full face helmets a few times but they felt weird to me. I'm due for another helmet soon so will probably try a full or maybe a modular full. I know the protection is way better than the 3/4, if I can just get used to wearing it.
I'd get a modular if i was going full face. You can take a drink of water etc without taking the helmet off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't wear a helmet, I ride every day the roads are not iced over. I hit a truck 30 days ago. Bruised my leg up real bad, and my bike, I rode my banged up bike to the ER to get checked out. The ER doctor said nothing broken but it's still swollen, bruised,painful. If it was mandatory I would wear one, but if it's my choice,,,no.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When it was legal to ride without a helmet I did it once in awhile but I was on a sportbike then and pretty much always wore a helmet or gave mine up for the passenger.
Nowadays I've got an Icon full face, a half helmet made in Canada, and a Daytona 3/4 with two different types of face Shields. Just depends on my mood which one I wear. Usually if I'm listening to music I'll put on the 3/4. They are all DOT approved or better. I use gloves and never wear shorts unless I'm just test riding a bike up the block and back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't wear a helmet, I ride every day the roads are not iced over. I hit a truck 30 days ago. Bruised my leg up real bad, and my bike, I rode my banged up bike to the ER to get checked out. The ER doctor said nothing broken but it's still swollen, bruised,painful. If it was mandatory I would wear one, but if it's my choice,,,no.
To each his own 👍 glad you didn't hit your head. I had a novelty helmet save my head one time from a major scrape. Get well if you're not already. 🙂

·
Registered
76 Posts
I currently have a full face helmet I use for highway driving, around town I have this.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-9mm-helmet-solid?

I am however thinking about switching to this helmet, what are your thoughts.

https://www.blackbeardsgear.com/online-store/Smallest-DOT-Helmet-AK-88-p36081417
I'm in the "Do as you wish" group"

I would choose to wear nothing rather than either of these./forums/images/VTXOA_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png/forums/images/VTXOA_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Very good helmet. That's the Canadian helmet I have that's a half helmet. It even came with ear muffs you can put on it in the winter. They attach to the nylon straps on each side... they're really cool.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I been in very small accidents two times in my life. Both accidents happened at very slow speeds. The first time I was unlucky to hit my head on the curve. The second time I was, unlucky again and hit my head on the pavement.
Lucky enough I had full faced helmets on both times, otherwise .....I might not be able to tell you this story, and to warn you to always wear a helmet. Even if your planning to go on a slow drive

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I know a guy put on his roller blades, fell backwards before he could get his helmet on and died as a result of the head injury a day later. It doesn't take much sometimes, he was standing still and lost his balance. That's why legislation is so silly. You can't legislate helmets 100% of the time so where's the line? People should be responsible for themselves. Not everyone that rides without a helmet will get hurt, and not everyone that does wear a helmet will survive. It's up to you to mitigate risk to your comfort point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I been in very small accidents two times in my life. Both accidents happened at very slow speeds. The first time I was unlucky to hit my head on the curve. The second time I was, unlucky again and hit my head on the pavement.
Lucky enough I had full faced helmets on both times, otherwise .....I might not be able to tell you this story, and to warn you to always wear a helmet. Even if your planning to go on a slow drive

Sorry, that's not LUCK wearing a helmet.
That's proper planning.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So what?
I don't even know if my state of Colorado requires helmets or not.
I don't care.
I require myself to wear a helmet.

Your choice. Isn't it great to live in a country where you can make choices! So, you can voluntary put your life at risk. Lung cancer from smoking, liver damage from drinking, diabetes from eating unhealthy foods, AIDS from unprotected sex. But heaven forbid you ride without a helmet.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Your choice. Isn't it great to live in a country where you can make choices! So, you can voluntary put your life at risk. Lung cancer from smoking, liver damage from drinking, diabetes from eating unhealthy foods, AIDS from unprotected sex. But heaven forbid you ride without a helmet.
THAT'S the point, isn't it. I live in a country that requires helmets anywhere you ride in this nation. It's the way I learned, and I feel most comfortable wearing one. When I travel south and ride where helmets are not required, I still wear mine. It's none of my business if someone chooses not to wear theirs if it's legal to do so. I never wore a seat belt until it became law, and genuinely disliked it for many years. I'd still drive without one if it weren't the law to do so.

Last year Alberta made it legal for people who wear turbans to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle. This is the sort of BS that is begat from runaway legislation. I advocate helmet wearing, but it is not correct to make exceptions based on religious garb wearing requirements. If you must wear a turban, then you should be legally precluded from riding a motorcycle. OR, no one is required to wear a turban. Nope, it should not be legislated, and anyone that wants to ride without one should have their liberty to do so infringed.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I know what you are saying. this is the first year congressman can wear scarves on the Congress floor, just to please our newly elected muslim women. Prior to this even the Jewish congressman could not wear their little caps.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts