Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small leak on my front right fork last week, my bike is VTX 1800 R 2002 with 15,000 miles.
I have plans to ride from Toronto (where I live) to Chicago next week april 26th,2011. I decided to call Honda Powerhouse today for an estimate, they told me it will cost me to replace the seals 300 Canadian dollars plus parts (30 dollars per seal)
I read on this forum about the 35mm film trick and this morning I cleaned the shock, after that I went around the block and when I came back I could see a little bit of oil again so I thought i definitely needed to change the seals.
So I rode my bike (it was snowing a bit) for 30 km till I got to Honda powerhouse, when I got there i checked again for oil and guess what?? nothing leaking anymore so I changed my mind, and I came home; another 30 km back. When I got home, I checked and no oil anymore!!

I guess I fix it, and the oil i saw was the excess oil when I cleaned it with the 35mm film.
I just hope stays that way cause like I said i m going on a 1600km trip next week.
anyone with the same issue? similar story??
thanks guys

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I had a similar experience a few years ago. The film trick worked for a few months, ended up rebuilding the fork later that year after it started leaking again and the film didn't work the second time (the first time it was just a couple pieces of junk holding the seal away from the fork tube, second time there was actually a small tear in the seal). If you have tools and a little bit of ability, swapping the fork seals isn't THAT bad of a job to do and the parts are relatively cheap. :doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts