Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be appreciated! My right turn signal indicator on the dash does not work. The front any rear blinkers do work, just not the dash indicator light. If I pull or tug on the harness located under the left side of the tank it will come on but eventually it stops altogether. Clearly I have a contact problem somewhere in the harness. Should I have the harness replaced or do I have another option.

Thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did disconnect the two green connectors just to make sure I didn't have any broken "needle" connectors. I then put some dielectric grease on them and put them back together. My problem is with the right turn indicator. The left indicator and neutral light indicator both work.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Maybe your bike is left-handed???

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Pull the connector apart again and verify one of the pins is not pushed into the connector body.
Light Blue wire

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull the connector apart again and verify one of the pins is not pushed into the connector body.
Light Blue wire
I'll check for that. However if a pin is pushed back into the connector that wouldn't explain why when I tug or twist the harness the light comes on if just for a second would it?

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I'll check for that. However if a pin is pushed back into the connector that wouldn't explain why when I tug or twist the harness the light comes on if just for a second would it?
It could, depending on how far back the pin is. My pins actually popped out of the green plastic housing a long time ago, so whenever I take the green connectors apart and put them back together, I push them together really firmly and then wrap a piece of electrical tape around them tightly. I then slide the rubber cover down over the connectors, place it back in its place and push the cable stay up firmly so the whole assembly stays where it's supposed to and then turn on the ignition and check all light functions.

I did buy a set of replacement connectors that are much nicer than the stock crappy ones, but I've been too lazy to install them. :mrgreen: Greg Riddle did a write-up on one of the boards (here or the Cafe') and posted which product he used.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I had the connectors apart everything looked in order. I'll take another look at them this weekend and maybe shoot some contact cleaner in there as well as dielectric grease and see what I have then. The fact that the other indicator light is working as well as the neutral light has me scratching my head why the right turn light is not.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
When I had the connectors apart everything looked in order. I'll take another look at them this weekend and maybe shoot some contact cleaner in there as well as dielectric grease and see what I have then. The fact that the other indicator light is working as well as the neutral light has me scratching my head why the right turn light is not.
Each of those pins in those two connectors controls only one circuit, and since we have dual turn indicators (L & R), it could just be that the R turn signal pin is loose.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate you helping me out. By chance do you know which pin I should look for that services the right signal indicator?

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Light Blue wire
I really appreciate you helping me out. By chance do you know which pin I should look for that services the right signal indicator?
Hans&Feet answered that earlier. 8)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Post #5 says light blue wire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts