Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Lots of very cool and attractive cars listed for sale at the auction, but that hideous Impala wagon is NOT one of them. Whew, that is one butchered piece of sheet metal, with a hideous blend of early 60s straight/flared lines and 2000-era curves. Uggggghhhh.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Impalas of that gen had three taillights on each side. Belairs had two. '61 and '62 were nearly identical, aside from minor trim pieces so I can see how I got that part wrong.

·
Old Goat
24,077 Posts
Impalas of that gen had three taillights on each side. Belairs had two. '61 and '62 were nearly identical, aside from minor trim pieces so I can see how I got that part wrong.
I’m a big fan of old skool wagons...especially the faux wood....if I could ever find a turn key (too old to work on em) Vista cruiser would be sorely tempted.....:grin2:

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
The side trim sez it's a '61. Looks like an old AMT 1/24 scale model, or should have been. Back in the day I built a '60 panel wagon with a tilt front, the year with the angled flat-top not curved tail fins.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
1961 Impala vs Bel Air

Three tail lights - Impala.

Two tail lights - Bel Air

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Yep, and those are both '61s. I had forgotten that there actually was quite a difference in the bodies of those and the '62. I was always partial to the '62, biased as I was since I owned one.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Those last 2 examples are of the "bubble-top" roofs, the most-desired. Along with the 409 which debut'ed in 61.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Mine was a nice car. But it didn't look as nice as that.

A friend of mine owned a '62 at the same time. His was a red SS with a 327 and a 4speed. Mine was tan, with that same type of top, but a 283 with a slush box. I've always been partial to the red ones. Even that '61 looks great. Might have something to do with that side trim they have.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts

·
Registered
9,875 Posts

I'd have to agree... that original 1970 Chevelle appeals to me much more than the customized Impala "double bubble" wagon. And it would likely cost far less to boot!

By the way, that Impala is featured in lots of articles across the web, and when the photo angle is much lower, its mixed proportions don't look as distorted as what I originally thought. I'm still not a fan, but I'm no longer so repulsed. :D To each their own. The video from this clip shows some nice views.

https://www.legendaryspeed.com/greening-auto-companys-immaculate-1961-chevrolet-impala-double-bubble-became-one-of-detroit-autoramas-great-8-winners/

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
I saw a similar LS6 pull $175,000 on one of those auctions one year recently. Not Mecum, the other one. Barrett-Jackson. I knew I'd have to win the damn lottery to ever get one.

I love watching a bit of those auctions here and there.
lol

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
I saw a similar LS6 pull $175,000 on one of those auctions one year recently. Not Mecum, the other one. Barrett-Jackson. I knew I'd have to win the damn lottery to ever get one.

I love watching a bit of those auctions here and there.
lol

At first glance, those figures sound like a great investment... and then I pulled out my calculator.
If I took a guess that a 454 Chevelle cost $3600 in 1969.... and sold for $175,000 fifty years later...
then (175,000/3600) = 48.611 growth factor
Annual rate of growth = 48.611^(1/50) = 1.08077
Wow... that's only a tad more than 8.0% annual return. So, once we factor in the cost of storage, insurance, etc.... maybe not the greatest investment after all.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
"maybe not the greatest investment after all"

There is that. But there's also the fact that, as desirable as those muscle cars are, if I was going to 'invest' in a monster like that it would probably be one of today's Mustangs, Camaro's, or Challengers. I don't think I could pass up the opportunity to have a 700+ HP fun car in my garage.

But of course I'm only dreaming. Such toys are not in my future as it stands now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts