Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We planned a route from Kansas City to Oregon, then south through the redwoods and coastal highways of northern California.

Not being from the area... anyone know a road better than the rest through the redwoods?

Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Check out the Humboldt Redwoods S.P. It's off Hwy 101. Look for the Avenues of The Giants. Stop and walk through the big trees....it's amazing. :!: :lol:
Then go down to Leggett,Ca. and take Hwy 1 down the coast to San Fancisco. You have several S.P. , Point Reyes National Seashore, Muir Wood National Monument and even Bodga Bay (where they filmed "The Birds"). You can cut over to Sonoma and Napa Valley for the wine country (rolling hills and grapes everwhere).
If you can go as far south as Yosemite National Park you can find more Redwoods ( they have the "Grandfather Tree"...the really big one :wink: ).
Hope this helps... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ride safe....

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Beartooth nailed it with his advice!
The Mrs. and I did this in a rented Mustang convertible in April as a warm-up for a bike version next year.
We started in Garberville, and drove the Avenue of the Giants. Awesome!
We also hit Rt 1 in Legget and spent the next week picking and choosing stops alonf the coast. We thought we had coastline in New Hampshire- boy were we wrong. We went past San Fran and stopped at Santa Cruz, Monterey, Hearst Castle, and many I can't remember at hte moment and then took rt 5 back to SF and spent 2 days there. Best trip we've ever had. No reservations, no itinerary, we totally winged it. You will enjoy it!

G

·
redwoods

ave. of giants is great. runs alongside 101. how far into oregon are you going? the or. coast is uncrowded, undeveloped and beautiful. crater lake a must.

·
Registered
592 Posts
When will you be in Oregon and Cali? Post up on the Ca. forum and maybe some of us can meet up and take you on a tour. There are a couple of rides coming up in Oregon and Ca. that you might meet some of us on. The coast is a great place to ride. Great scenery. Have a safe journey.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/forum/

·
Registered
639 Posts
Beartooth has the plan for sure. I and 4 others traveled almost his exact route during the first week of Jun and it was awesome to say the least. The Avenue of Giants cannot even be described how great it is.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If you plan on doing any of the Oregon coast make sure you have some cold weather gear.

Northern cal can be the sae way 55 -60 along the beach areas then go inland 5 miles and it will be 85-90.

you can't go wrong with any route you want to take, sights around every bend in the road.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
goodtimesVTX said:
When will you be in Oregon and Cali? Post up on the Ca. forum and maybe some of us can meet up and take you on a tour. There are a couple of rides coming up in Oregon and Ca. that you might meet some of us on. The coast is a great place to ride. Great scenery. Have a safe journey.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/forum/
We'll be 5 or 6 bikes strong and we'll be swinging through pretty fast on our way out to Reno, NV. So we probably don't have time to do a meet and greet. I still have a job! I have to get home eventually! And I'll be 1800 to 1900 miles away by then...

I think the Avenue of the Giants is what I'm looking for, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Re: Road Trip!! Redwood Forest roads 2 take in N. California

CasperVTX said:
We planned a route from Kansas City to Oregon, then south through the redwoods and coastal highways of northern California.

Not being from the area... anyone know a road better than the rest through the redwoods?

Thanks.
make sure you have your leathers, I went last year on my bike hot as hell on the 101 and cold on the 1 and windy.. did the same route in the car the year before and it was great weather. SO.. you never knnow, can San Fran, the coldest winter is in the summer :):) lololol reallly..
where abouts you going in Oregon and Cali?

post up on the Cali board all those nor cal guys can help you out there with roads.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Two years ago my parents (Goldwing) and I along with another couple (BMW) went from Portland, OR to the Lassen Volcanic area, down to Tahoe, Yosemite, over to Napa, and up through the Redwoods. 2500 miles total, best trip I have ever taken. If you are heading South on I-5 through Oregon, take Hwy 199 at Grants Pass, fun road and takes you right to 101 and the Redwoods. Try and make it through Napa and over to Yosemite if you can. Definitely be prepared for any weather - hot and cold and rain.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts