Honda VTX Forum banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
You must not be riding correctly, then ;) ...there are several of us who have scraped the Dooleys. nojoke
I agree! I almost wore completly through the bottom of my Cadilac tips. Especially on the right side. I had to replace them with some slash cuts because of that. They were scraping way before the floorboards. And I don't think I ride that agressivly. I don't scrape the floorboards very often. Unless I'm riding two up.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
seefriedm - "I have the straight cut and am looking for the Cadillac tips if someone would like to trade".

I have a set of Fishtails I'd trade for Tapered, if anybody wants to try a different look?

Something funny with my Dooleys happened today.
I started to hear this rattle today after re tightening my exhaust flange nuts. It kept getting worse and started to worry me about something in the engine going gunnybag. I took all the heat shields off and it still rattled, so I started to work the throttle and tap along the pipes, when low in behold, a washer blew out out the rear right pipe and flew about 30 feet.....WTF..
:yikes:
I bought these new from the factory, so the welded in washer had to come stock.. The welds looked like Ray Charles had done it..
I thought great, solved the rattle, but now the bike will run like chittt w/o the back pressure, Not at all, runs and sounds just fine without the washer.

J

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cadillac tips

seefriedm - "I have the straight cut and am looking for the Cadillac tips if someone would like to trade".

I have a set of Fishtails I'd trade for Tapered, if anybody wants to try a different look?

I started to hear this rattle today after re tightening my exhaust flange nuts. It kept getting worse and started to worry me about something in the engine going gunnybag. I took all the heat shields off and it still rattled, so I started to work the throttle and tap along the pipes, when low in behold, a washer blew out out the rear right pipe and flew about 30 feet.....WTF..
I bought these new from the factory, so the welded in washer had to come stock.. The welds looked like Ray Charles had done it..
I thought great, solved the rattle, but now the bike will run like chittt w/o the back pressure, Not at all, runs and sounds just fine without the washer.

J
J
I'm trading with Mr VTX, ty for the offer. Glad to hear the rattle is gone....

Mark

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Just beware about different tip a year ago i by tapered tit to make change . I notice it sound different and whit the trailer back it was louder . This spring i return back to slash cut and it did sound different . Did a different opening change sound ? Just like slash cut then tapered .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anyone know of any aftermarket Harley tips that will fit? I am also dragging my cadillac tips when riding aggressive.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm running them with the baffles. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I run with the baffles.

oh well file to large

Welcome to the board!
So, downsize it and let's see. Or, leave it large, post on photobucket (or similiar) and post the link here.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts

J
Jim, glad to hear it's nothing major. I wonder where that washer is, though. Hmmm....

·
Registered
186 Posts
More options on exhaust tips

So you all know I've been looking for fishtail tips for my Doolies....well Mr VTX and I traded for his. In the process of putting his tips on the exhaust, I look over at my Indian and start thinking that tip looks to be the same diameter as my Doolie exhaust. So me being the inquisitive type I take off the Indian tip and put it on the end of my Doolie and sure enough it fits perfectly. So now I know I can go from a Cadillac tip to true Fishtail if I want. I only would need a bolt on the inside of the tip for the allen head to screw into. Take a look and let me know which is the better look?

Mark

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm not sure which is which, but the one on the left, IMHO.
Nice stable, by the way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello to all members of Dooleys club. I was lucky to have a set of Roadhouse Dooleys Fishtails for my VTX1300S. For this reason I have some questions to clarify before I start with mounting them:

1) I have a set for VTX 1300C, but my model is 1300 S (2005). Which addons should I buy/craft to get dooleys mounts? Only 1300C muffler bracket (18455-MEM-670)?
2) I found that a set for C model has shorter mufflers than S model dooleys. I'd like to enlarge them using some chrome tube extenders between muflers and tips. Did someone try to make it in a same way?
3) I heard about problems with opening left (tools) and right (fuse box) cases when Dooleys are mounted. Will I met them too? Or your cases open easily without removieng exhaust?
4) Is welding washer into Y-pipe neccessary step to get perfect sound and performance?
5) Should I keep my stock Air filter and carb settings or shoud I replace them with some aftermarket ones (K&N, Hypercharger) with carb rejeting? If yes wich jet kits are best?
6) I'm also planing to put Glen's Clutch relif and Kyry engine case covers. Will I met with a problems of replacing key switch in this case?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Hello to all members of Dooleys club. I was lucky to have a set of Roadhouse Dooleys Fishtails for my VTX1300S. For this reason I have some questions to clarify before I start with mounting them:

1) I have a set for VTX 1300C, but my model is 1300 S (2005). Which addons should I buy/craft to get dooleys mounts? Only 1300C muffler bracket (18455-MEM-670)?

From what I know, I believe that is all you need...the 1300C rear exhaust hanger.

2) I found that a set for C model has shorter mufflers than S model dooleys. I'd like to enlarge them using some chrome tube extenders between muflers and tips. Did someone try to make it in a same way?

Haven't seen that done yet around here. However, I did buy a set of longer Dooley mufflers that were meant for a Yamaha, and I had to construct some mount extensions. My Dooley write-up is here:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?316898-The-Dooley-Project!

3) I heard about problems with opening left (tools) and right (fuse box) cases when Dooleys are mounted. Will I met them too? Or your cases open easily without removieng exhaust?

I have no problems removing either of mine, though it is a tighter fit.

4) Is welding washer into Y-pipe neccessary step to get perfect sound and performance?

I did this mod because others said that it helped eliminate backfiring. I figured for the $ I spent to get it done (cheap) vs. having to take them off and get it done later, it was a no-brainer. I've had no backfiring whatsoever.

5) Should I keep my stock Air filter and carb settings or shoud I replace them with some aftermarket ones (K&N, Hypercharger) with carb rejeting? If yes wich jet kits are best?

You should be able to get by with just adjusting a few settings on your carb without having to get an aftermarket air kit. But, if you're leaning towards something else and can afford it, go ahead and get it all done at the same time.

6) I'm also planing to put Glen's Clutch relif and Kyry engine case covers. Will I met with a problems of replacing key switch in this case?

From what I've read, I think the Kury engine cover somehow gets in the way of having to relocate the ignition switch when the Dooleys are installed. Hopefully others will chime in that have the engine covers to tell you what needs to be done.

Welcome to the club! My answers are in red above. :thumbup:

·
Registered
186 Posts

Lots of work to get the Kury cover to fit, cutting the hole for the ignition switch was the start. There are 2 kinds of ignition switches brackets made by Honda btw. One is a solid piece 2" X 2.5", the other (available on 2005 R models) is longer and has a hole in it. IF you have the solid one then the ignition wires at the bottom of the switch will make it impossible to fit with the Kury cover as there isn't enough clearance to fit. I have one of each type on each of my bikes. The next thing that will need attention is the Kury cover right behind the oil dipstick, it will need to be clearanced with a Dremal. You will also need to drill and tap to make a 10mm hole in the ignition switch bracket that mates to the new Roadhouse bracket that mounts to the clutch cable bracket. Also you will need to buy 3-10mmX16mm with a 1.25 pitch allen flat bolts to mount the ignition switch through the above mentioned Roadhouse bracket. This is critical as with the stock 10mm bolts the Kury cover is directly over 1/2 the oil dipstick. The newly tapped hole is used to hold the Kury cover in place. You will need a total of 3 allen bolts.

Mark

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Or, you could go with a relay and a little switch hidden somewhere. I did this. I could show you a picture of my switch, but then I vood haf to keel you.
Looks real nice without that clunk in the way.
Others have gone with the Harley switch up on the dash.
Kury's, here you gooooo.

241 - 260 of 293 Posts