Honda VTX Forum banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
The rear exhaust bracket is stationary and doesn't move. So when you're tightening the exhaust back there, it should be pulling the exhaust in toward the bike...not pushing it out. If it was pushing it out back there when tightening, the other end of the exhaust at the head would be getting closer to the head.

You could also try loosening the exhaust at the rear bracket, then tightening the exhaust at the heads to spec (17 lb.ft. torque) and then tightening the exhaust at the rear.
I did all of the above and agree the bracket should pull the exhaust in (the mounting for the exhaust can is without tightening the bracket directly above the frame) so with it in this position to start tightening can only push away from the frame not towards. So it seems the welder didn't line the two sections up correctly when he put the washer in and welded the two pieces back together...

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
I did all of the above and agree the bracket should pull the exhaust in (the mounting for the exhaust can is without tightening the bracket directly above the frame) so with it in this position to start tightening can only push away from the frame not towards. So it seems the welder didn't line the two sections up correctly when he put the washer in and welded the two pieces back together...
Now I'm really confused. The "washer" that several of us have put in the "Y" pipe is only tack welded inside one side of that pipe. There was no welding of several pieces back together in my case. So could you explain in detail what happened in your case?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Now I'm really confused. The "washer" that several of us have put in the "Y" pipe is only tack welded inside one side of that pipe. There was no welding of several pieces back together in my case. So could you explain in detail what happened in your case?
The muffler shop cut the pipe coming off the rear exhaust outlet about 2 1/2-3 inches after the two pipes (1 going bent and going to the left side and the other continuing down to the right side) come together. Instead of doing it this way they cut the pipe http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/seefriedm_photos/VTX/WasheronVTX_zpsbd5a7fdb.jpg They sandwiched the washer between the 2 cut sections and welded them back together. So you can see there was room for error here.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
The muffler shop cut the pipe coming off the rear exhaust outlet about 2 1/2-3 inches after the two pipes (1 going bent and going to the left side and the other continuing down to the right side) come together. Instead of doing it this way they cut the pipe http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/seefriedm_photos/VTX/WasheronVTX_zpsbd5a7fdb.jpg They sandwiched the washer between the 2 cut sections and welded them back together. So you can see there was room for error here.
Why in the heck did they cut the pipe in two? I just had the washer tack welded inside the pipe by a local muffler shop. I think I was there for all of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Why in the heck did they cut the pipe in two? I just had the washer tack welded inside the pipe by a local muffler shop. I think I was there for all of 5 minutes.
Some people have to do any and everything the hard way.:confused:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Am lookin to buy dooleys I know good luck but i have reduced myself to begging.

You may want to post this in the Wanted or WTB VTX Classifieds.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?52-Wanted-or-WTB-VTX-Classifieds

Good Luck! You'll really need it...
:D

·
Registered
4 Posts

You may want to post this in the Wanted or WTB VTX Classifieds.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?52-Wanted-or-WTB-VTX-Classifieds

Good Luck! You'll really need it...
:D
Yea I know just thought I would try guese I, m going with cobra speedster longs until i build my own.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's nice to see a VTX that looks as good on the left as the right. And I imagine it's nice to hear the exhaust in stereo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sound is a great rumble :) have to admit pipes aren't tuned....in cold riding weather, noticeably more warm exhaust coming from right side than left...but with the power commander III on it, ran with more pull and sounded great. Fun and completed the retro look but probably not made for performance. But then. We are talking about a factory stock torque monster, aren't we..... :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sound is a great rumble :) have to admit pipes aren't tuned....in cold riding weather, noticeably more warm exhaust coming from right side than left...but with the power commander III on it, ran with more pull and sounded great. Fun and completed the retro look but probably not made for performance. But then. We are talking about a factory stock torque monster, aren't we..... :)
Did you put a washer in the Y of the rear cylender to make more flow in the left one ? I did this cause it backfire a lot before ( This idea is from a member here thas why i like this forum ) . Mine is 1300 carburated but if it can help ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks XMan! I appreciate the idea....I just assumed the bends in that Y naturally prevented flow...never went next step about trying to rectify...

281 - 293 of 293 Posts