Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching this exhaust system for the last few days and can't seem to figure out my problem. I've got a 2005 VTX1300R. I love the look of the Dooley exhaust but the only ones I can find still available are for the 08-09 VTX1300C and the 08-09 VTX1300R. I've read about people installing these newer systems on older C models by changing the muffler bracket. I just need to figure out if I can change my exhaust bracket on my R to one off of an 08 or 09 model and install this exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't need to make a $700 mistake and order something that won't work.... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks really nice.

I don't understand what it's doing though - that is why does it appear that both the front and back go into the right pipe and the one on the left appears to come from just the back cylinder?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
As far as I know only Roadhouse made the dooleys and they went out of business. So unless you can find some used, I don't think you'll be making a $700 mistake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found a couple of companies that still have some of these systems. But like I said they only have them available for the 08 and 09 model VTX's. I read on here that a couple of people have made the ones for the 08 and 09 models work on an older C model. I'm just trying to find out if they might work on my 05 1300R.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks really nice.

I don't understand what it's doing though - that is why does it appear that both the front and back go into the right pipe and the one on the left appears to come from just the back cylinder?

There's a Y pipe that comes off the back cylinder that feeds both sides. You don't get as much exhaust coming out the left side as you do the right.

To OP, just buy them. I would imagine at the most you will have to buy a new exhaust bracket. When I bought mine for my C model. I purchased the system for the R model. And bought the exhaust bracket for the R model. Everything works great.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've been researching this exhaust system for the last few days and can't seem to figure out my problem. I've got a 2005 VTX1300R. I love the look of the Dooley exhaust but the only ones I can find still available are for the 08-09 VTX1300C and the 08-09 VTX1300R. I've read about people installing these newer systems on older C models by changing the muffler bracket. I just need to figure out if I can change my exhaust bracket on my R to one off of an 08 or 09 model and install this exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't need to make a $700 mistake and order something that won't work.... Thanks in advance.
I have done it.

I got a 2006 1300R and installed the Dooleys for 1300R 08 and up.
I did have to get an exhaust bracket from and 08 and everything else lined up ok.
I do have some of the decel backfire and I am currently working on properly adjusting my carb. as I have an open air breather.

I also got a heavy duty T-bolt clamp for the crossover pipe cause the one that comes wit the Dooleys is a regular clamp and I wanted to make sure there was no exhaust leaks.

I previously had the Vance and Hines Big Shots and they were louder and more free flowing. After some time, they were a little too loud for my taste, even with the quiet baffles.

I have got to say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SOUND AND LOOK OF THE DOOLEYS, now I just got to figure out how to take care of the decel backfire.
I am determined to make them work, that is how much I like the sound and look :mrgreen:

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
I have done it.

I did have to get an exhaust bracket from and 08 and everything else lined up ok.

How hard was it to find a bracket..cause Im seriously considering ...:thumbup: many thanks..

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
seen dlp has 08 brackets like 69.00 may be able to find a salvage one?

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i just ordered a set of Dooleys for an 08-09 R and an exhaust bracket for an 08 R. I got both pieces shipped for around $650. Hope it all works. I'll keep you updated on how everything comes together.

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
Well i just ordered a set of Dooleys for an 08-09 R and an exhaust bracket for an 08 R. I got both pieces shipped for around $650. Hope it all works. I'll keep you updated on how everything comes together.
Who did you order the dooleys from...and good luck

·
Registered
860 Posts
Who did you order the dooleys from...and good luck
Tenn X, if you have the part number for the system(s) you are interested in, Google the part numbrs one at a time and it will bring up several dealers and catalog places that have them on close out. I know Dennis Kirk had them on clearance. :vtx18:

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
Tenn X, if you have the part number for the system(s) you are interested in, Google the part numbrs one at a time and it will bring up several dealers and catalog places that have them on close out. I know Dennis Kirk had them on clearance. :vtx18:
Now why didnt I think of that....found them in a couple of places but over $700....many thanks.....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
How hard was it to find a bracket..cause Im seriously considering ...:thumbup: many thanks..
I ordered it from Babbits and it was around $65 if I recall.

I had been thinking of getting them for along time and it came time to replace my V&H Bigshots after my accident so it made the decision much easier.

Did I mention I Love the Sound :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Do yourself a favor and order one of this clamps for the cross over pipe, you would want to have it when you do the install otherwise you have to undo the left side in order to install afterwords.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-and-tube-clamps/=dejrf3

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as the backfire is concerned, I had a fender washer welded into the y-pipe. this completely stopped the backfire. What was happening was that there was not enough exhaust pressure coming from the left muffler. Having this washer welded into the pipe had evened out the exhaust between the right and left mufflers. I brought the pipe and a washer to an exhaust shop and had them tack weld it in there. Cost $13.00, sound priceless.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts