Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the Roadhouse Shorty on the X @ 1 1/2 months ago and have been playing with the sound by unrapping the baffle and rerapping it. I have noticed 2 things with pipe.

1 it will not slide completely up the header pipe it has 1/4" left of header pipe showing before the stop flange when it bottoms out in the muffler.

2 I have noticed a rattle from the inside of the pipe and its not the heatshield tabs. I can grab the back if the baffle when installed and jiggle and you can hear the front part of the baffel bang up and down inside the pipe.

I have taken all the baffle rap off of the baffle and thats how it sits inside right now. I dont if because all that rap being removed caused that space and the rap centered it in there or that space left on the header pipe is causing that but I would think that when it bottoms the header out in the muffler that it would be seated.

Also I have rapped the baffle in tin and it was loud it kind of had a raspy sound to it so I took everything off of it and sounds really deep and a good volume. I was thinking of rapping half of the baffle again and trying that. I know alot of folks have tryed diffent things just wondering if anyone had suggestions on any other materials that would make a good sound or other manipulations that could be done to it. Just allways tinkering with something.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I noticed the baffle rattleing also on my RH. On mine it was the front centering ring (if ya will) It didn't fit inside the pipe very snug so I took some pliers and bent the edges out a bit all the way around untill it was tight as it slid in. Worked for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that would be a good reason for both the gap and the rattle. Ill pull it back off and take a look.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Roadhouse Shorty and had similar problems after buying it. As suggested above, I bent the flange around the centering plate out a bit all the way around with some large pliers to tighten up the fit. This took several tries to get it just right, but eventually it quit rattling. And when it wouldn't go in all the way, I sprayed a rag with some WD40 and wiped out the entire muffler cannister. I then coated the flanges with more WD40 and it slid right in. This causes it to smoke a bit when first fired up, but it quickly goes away.

I've tried different wraps, no wrap and tin around the muffler core, but ended up buying some high-density muffler packing at a motorcycle parts store and wrapped the entire baffle. To my ears, this gave me the best, deepest sound.

Hope that helps. Cheers! :beer3:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts