Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had their baffles rattling ?? if so did you find out what it was and was it a quick fix? My shorty is about 4 months old.
when you tap it with you're hand you can hear a not so nice rattle . I checked all clamps and mount hardware,they are all tight.
any help would be great.
Terry

·
Registered
454 Posts
T-bone
Mine had a similar rattle too! When you remove the baffle you will see that the front and rear ends are bigger and made to fit tight inside the pipe. The rear one on mine was a little too small and aloud the rear of the baffle to vibrate against the inside of the pipe.So i took a pair of pliers and gently bent out the lip in a couple places so it would fit snug. Also check the heat shield that covers the muffler - pipe connection it could be loose.
Good Luck, Hoovey

·
Registered
441 Posts
T-bone22 said:
Has anybody had their baffles rattling ?? if so did you find out what it was and was it a quick fix? My shorty is about 4 months old.
when you tap it with you're hand you can hear a not so nice rattle . I checked all clamps and mount hardware,they are all tight.
any help would be great.
Terry
T-Bone 22, I thought mine was rattling also. It turned out to be the heat shield that meets with the front of the pipe. Check it out. Later, T-Bone.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
this pipe should come standard with a set screw for the front portion of the baffle. The rear section is held tight by a screw and some folks have drilled a second for the front section as well. Carefully measure before drilling. This will most likely stop the problem.
Here is how it was explained to me.

Mike, Sorry I did not get a chance to take any pictures. Here is what I did...

Remove the end tip and baffle, three set screws. Take the baffle screw to the hardware store and find a match. Screw, nut, and washer.

On the baffle... measure from the center of the threaded bolt on the rear sleeve to the center of the front sleeve. Remember, measure twice, drill once.

Now measure from the center of the baffle set screw hole on the bottom of the muffler (outer chrome sleeve) to a point the same distance you measured on the baffle. Black permanent marker works well.

Re-install the baffle and tighten the original set screw. With the baffle in place, carefully drill through the muffler and baffle sleeve. This will assure your holes line up in the end. The hole should be a little bigger than the screw. Look at the factory hole.

Romove the baffle again. Weld the new nut abave the hole you just drilled in the front baffle sleeve. You can tighten it in place with the set screw for alignment. Then tacks it in place.

Your all set. You should have a functional set screw on the front sleeve identical to the original on the rear. I love the sound of my Shorty but the rattle pissed me off. Others suggested JB Weld but that is a short term fix. Never holds. This fix was pretty easy and has served me well. It looks factory, as if Roadhouse knew what they were doing the first time around.

Let me know if you give it a shot and how things turn out.

Regards... Dino

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys I took a look at it today and looks like the heat shield grommets might have ripped off of fell off I'll start there and work my way back.
Thanks for the info I 'll let you know what i find ....
Terry

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoovey said:
T-bone
Mine had a similar rattle too! When you remove the baffle you will see that the front and rear ends are bigger and made to fit tight inside the pipe. The rear one on mine was a little too small and aloud the rear of the baffle to vibrate against the inside of the pipe.So i took a pair of pliers and gently bent out the lip in a couple places so it would fit snug. Also check the heat shield that covers the muffler - pipe connection it could be loose.
Good Luck, Hoovey
So I take out all 3 set screws and remove the tip,and then the baffle should come out..ok? then bend the lips on both ends or just one? so it should fit tight yes? slide the baffle back inside and re-install the tip is there anything else I should know? "packing or other things I've never had one apart before.
Terry

·
Registered
454 Posts
On mine I only had to bend the edge on the end closest to the header pipe. Just be careful with the packing if it is loose just wrap some tape or wire around it to hold it in place.
Good Luck, Hoovey

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hoovey said:
On mine I only had to bend the edge on the end closest to the header pipe. Just be careful with the packing if it is loose just wrap some tape or wire around it to hold it in place.
Good Luck, Hoovey
In my experience this is the most common fix so start here, bending the edges. The others mentioned above are also viable possibilities so move to those if bending the edge doesn’t work.

BTW – I wrapped my baffle material with aluminum duct tape the third time I had to replace it. I just had it apart after 4,000 plus miles and the baffle material and the aluminum duct tape are in excellent condition. I was going through packing material every 3500 miles before.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for all the info I took her out and bent the edges and I also had a small flat steel washer that I wedged between the baffle and the pipe . just as an extra snug fit and well she is fixed . I also made sure that i can still take it out if need be.
I do thank guys for all your help.. and hope to see ya at the homecoming.
Ride safe . :D :beer3:
T-bone22

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey has anybody ever ran with out the baffle ? and would it hurt anything to do so? I know it would be louder :shock: but would it hurt anything valves etc..
and yes this board is just the best it's the 411 of info on the VTX:D :D
Terry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts