Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering. can you change/remove the baffels in the roadhouse shorty? does roadhouse sell different baffels? is it much trouble? thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can get different baffles but I just play with the one I have.
Removed the wrap and wrapped the core with metal with stainless clamps. Gives it a whole diff sound. This is actually all the RH performance baffle is anyway. After the de-smog the tone got even better.
2 screws. one to remove the slash tip and the other to remove the Baffle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Roadhouse offers a new quiet pack core for $50. It is a tad bit quieter than the original core.

You have to order it directly from Roadhouse.
I have not seen or heard it yet, but I plan to order one in a few weeks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Michael, If I'm reading you right, you basically made it a straight pipe? Covering the baffle with metal? How did that make it sound in comparison? I'm ready to get the RH shorty for my bike as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
actually the wrapping is not the only difference. roadhouse sells 3 totally different baffle for the shorty. regular, performance and quiet. i have both a regular and a quiet. the difference is in the holes and pattern in the core of the baffle. performance just has holes, regular has holes that look like fish scales in straight lines and the quiet has scales in an offset pattern. i like my quiet baffle, loud enough when i get on it, but quiet enough for trips and getting in and out of the development late at night without pissing everyone off. of course my wife says she still hears me coming half a mile away!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can wrap all of the core or just part to change the tone. I like the tone fully wrapped. It is like a straight pipe but you keep the necessary back pressure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
so which wrap/baffle comes with it when you order it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey all. I have a RH Shorty and have thought of just taking the baffle out all together. Any thoughts? There will be much less back pressure and will this cause any issues on valves/performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
1badVTX1800 said:
Hey all. I have a RH Shorty and have thought of just taking the baffle out all together. Any thoughts? There will be much less back pressure and will this cause any issues on valves/performance?

Thanks.
You'll loose your backpressure which means you'll loose some torque. Not sure about high-end performance diff. But it WILL be a LOT LOUDER.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
1badVTX1800 said:
So it won't hurt the bike, just loose low end torque?

I was worried about the valves.
No problems, you'll lose low end torque but gain HP on the top end.

With that said remember that HP doesn't amount to much on this motor, go for torque... Torque is what gets you going and keeps you going until 5250 RPM's, then HP takes over. Since the rev limiter on this bike is 5750 and past 5k RPM's you're on the decline of the power curve you'll want to shift before HP ever becomes a factor. :wink:

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
I hava RShorty on my '02C. After the wrap blew out I replace it with stainless steel wool...the stuff they sell to scrub pot's and pans. It doesn't burn or blow out and muffles it nuff to be quiet till ya twist the wick. The Pipe itself is flawless in design, fit and finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts