Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on many trips but they usually involve county roads and some state roads. Speeds usually stay between 35 and 65. Yesterday we took a trip that involved getting on the interstate. We were on the interstate about an hour and a half running 80 to 85 for most of it. The stretch of interstate we were on was fairly curvey with some long and some short sweeping curves. Around these curves there was a roaring coming from somewhere on the bike. No vibration just the roaring sound. Neither my wife or myself could really tell were it was coming from. There was no roaring when the bike was upright or if I slowed to 70mph around these curves. Does anyone have any idea what this may have been. Do I have anything to worry about or is this just another ghost that comes with the X. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks,
Bam

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'd bet it is your tires. Different road compositions make different sounds. Combined with riding on the sidewalls a bit more because you are leaning will make it even louder.
All is good. Now go rid your tires of the chicken strips. 8)
Tim :arrow:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roaring

If the chicken strips are the reason it could be the tires then it is probably not the flat spots. We are lucky enough to live very close to the dragons tail, hell bender, the skyway and the smokies to prevent flat spots. Are there any other things it could be

Thanks,
Bam

·
Super Moderator
64,337 Posts
Anv1l is right, it's your tires. Tires will while, roar, growl when in corners from the wear patern on the shoulders of the tires. Sometimes you can feel the vibration along with the roaring, sometimes you can't

·
Registered
704 Posts
I know that when I am in a right hand turn the exhaust sounds louder cause it get close to the pavement. really different when you are making it work a bit like up a grade

·
Registered
881 Posts
definitely tires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As others have said, it's the tires. Especially if they're the stock Dunlops. I thought my flange bearings were goners, but it was the horrible way the Dunlops wore. Take a close look at them and you can see how area between the outside radial grooves is worn down while the area to the inside is slanted with the high side on the leading edge.

I guess i need to take pictures, but i don't know if i'd get it to show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts