Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of guys here are using rotella engine oil..is this the rotella I should be using?

20191125_160548 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Shell has been changing the oil.
The most popular oil was Rotella T6 in 5-40 weight only.
Rotella T5 was a dino 15-40(Standard oil)
Now T6 is a Synthetic 15-40 as shown from your pic. T6 is probably still available in 5-40

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's what I use based on so many others that have had great results with it.

When you have those that have close to 200,000 miles on their VTX and they have done so primarily with oil changes using this oil, I think it is obvious that it works and works well.

And, if you get it at Wal-Mart, it is under $20 a gallon.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The question of "should you be using it" is one that only YOU can answer.
But as for "is it an acceptable option?" - absolutely, as many, many happy users here will attest. It is one of dozens of perfectly good lubes to keep your VTX running smoothly for years to come.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Years ago on a different vtx 1800 I used it regularly, but had to add oil between oil changes 2, sometimes 3 times, changing oil at 5k. 5/40 full synthetic. I changed to full syn. motorcycle oil, 10/40 and no oil added between changes. I may be the only one that this has happened to as I didn't hear of this on this forum. Curious.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Besides Rotella, Shell also makes this Advanced 4T Motorcycle oil in a 1 Liter bottle. Have never seen it here though.

Your link was a Wally-World image. They show it at $12.26

I searched for Shell Advance and found an auto parts place with the same name.
$12.99 per liter
Made from Natural Gas at the Shell Advance site.
More bottle colors.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
For years I've been using whatever the current flavor was of the MA rated Rotella dino, put it in everything. Over the years various versions have been discontinued and replaced with new names. The current dino is T4 Triple Protection 15w-40 and I still have a few gallons of it, on sale it works out to less than $3/qt.
BUT... Tractor Supply now has 2.5 gals of Synthetic T6 5w-40 on sale for $44 and Shell tops it with a $17.50 rebate for each. That brings the cost down to $2.65/qt.+tax. I bought (2) 2.5 gal jugs, each a separate purchase with 2 receipts and mailed in 2 rebate forms. Allowed 2 rebates per household.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/shell-rotella-t6-full-synthetic-5w-40-heavy-duty-motor-oil-25-gal?cm_vc=-10005##

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/better-fuel-economy-meets-better-wallet-economy.html#iframe=L0RJWS90NXQ2Lw

Attachments

Reactions: pushrod
1 - 12 of 12 Posts