Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first time poster. I have a 05 VTX 1300R. I got it serviced at 5K miles, it ran fine before and after (they said the valve were fine). Its been riding rough lately, and occasionally stalls if I'm not revving it a bit. It feels like its missing and hesitates at times and i can hear the valves some times when its missing, more when I'm taking off. I changed and regapped the plugs, it didn't run any better. I put dry gas and carb cleaner in the tank, it's still runs rough.

Any ideas before I bring it in to blow a few hundred. I've been reading threads about the valve adjustments (which I might try myself).....another question i have is how would a bike in need of adjustment run. I bet its my valves-----what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Mine ran really rough last year and it was the valves. If would die if I didn't rev it up rough. Now that's not saying that is your problem, but if it's been running fine, then all of a sudden running rough, that could be one of the problems. Also might check (cause it's really easy) battery connections are tight, air filter clean and clear, etc.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It could be the valves
It could also be loose battery connections
or a bad ground
or a bad wire on the ecu
or a bad petcoc
I would check the battery connections first them post your findings. We'll walk you through it.
Welcome to the site. Post your location. You may get some local help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HHMMMMMM . I'll definitely check all those items; escpecially the terminals, I somewhat recently unhooked the battery to connect the wires for a trickle charge. I really appreciate the input--thanks, and I'll let you know what I find. BTW--I'm located in S. Fl. (Jupiter).

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Ok, first time poster. I have a 05 VTX 1300R. I got it serviced at 5K miles, it ran fine before and after (they said the valve were fine). Its been riding rough lately, and occasionally stalls if I'm not revving it a bit. It feels like its missing and hesitates at times and i can hear the valves some times when its missing, more when I'm taking off. I changed and regapped the plugs, it didn't run any better. I put dry gas and carb cleaner in the tank, it's still runs rough.

Any ideas before I bring it in to blow a few hundred. I've been reading threads about the valve adjustments (which I might try myself).....another question i have is how would a bike in need of adjustment run. I bet its my valves-----what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Could be a simple case of bad gas....carb cleaner and dry gas aside.
How did the plugs look when you pulled them? Were they clean or fouled?
I suppose it could be a funky wire at the computer under the seat....but unlikelywith only 5k miles...but who knows....same goes for the carb adjustment...shouldnt be a problem at 5k miles unless someone messedwith it.....Did you notice any specific weather changes around the time that itstarted running poorly? My bike runs rougher in colder weather (below 40).....like a top above 40-45. I just lice with it. They are cold blooded beasts.

The one thing I do know is this: If you have a garage, basic tools and feelers, and just a little bit of practice turning wrenches , you should be able to do the valve adjustment yourself. Do you know for sure that the dealer actually checked the valves? Somedealers just "listen" to the valves and determine if they are loose or tight. I dont trust that method.

Our valves do make some racket even when completely in spec.....solid lifters...so dont let that worry you now or after you do your valve check.

Follow the owners manual procedure to the letter and you will be fine. Its not a hard job in as much as a time consuming job the first couple times....then it gets easier and faster cause you know what to expect.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, its not the battery or terminals. The filter looks like brand new and clear. I called the other day, where I had my 5K service done to see if they actually checked my valves and they said they do not do valve adjustments? So, I assumed they did the listen test, those sob's. Anyways, I went through a few tanksof gas, so I do think its the gas. The plug looked ok, weren't wet or discolored..a little black. I have some time off work in the next few weeks, so I'll have to check the valves. Before I do that though; I'll check the spark on each plug to ensure the wires are ok. Thanks!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but check and see if your choke is pushed all the way in. If it is out just a little, it will not run right. just my .02

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but check and see if your choke is pushed all the way in. If it is out just a little, it will not run right. just my .02

Oooh....good reminder! I always forget that suggestion.....it can happen, don't ask me how I know! LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
missing?

I think there are a lot of experts here ready to help. I think if you could post more info. Describe what happens from a standing start. Is all in first gear?
Does it happen in 3rd 0r 4th when rolling on the power? Will it happen more with a quick twist verses a slow twist? Do you hear a pop from the Carb? Do you hear poping out the exhaust? The color of a spark plug can tell something about the fuel mix. Light Tan is about right. I have seen something as simple as a gas cap not venting causing poor proformace.:tools1::tools1:
Ron C. near Pleasant Plane Ohio

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have found choke, plugs and valves to be the key things that have caused my bike to run rough.

I adjust my own valves on all my bikes (just did it 2 weeks ago on the VTX), using Poison's step-by-step instructions in the tech board.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2117242#post2117242

Is a very simple procedure. Hardest part is getting your feeler guages on the exhaust valve - tight spot and small opening. But you'll get the hang of it. Just need feeler guages (0.006 and 0.012, and the surrounding values). You can buy these for about $7. You'll need an 8 mm wrench, 12mm wrench and 4 mm wrench.
Take the feeler guages apart from the handle, tie a string onto each one (so you don't drop it inside the valve cover as it is a bear to get back out), and carefully bend the last 1/2 to 3/4" about 45 degrees, which will make it much easier to slip it in. Requires removing and reinsalling the tank, and removing the right side engine cover, and timing hole cover, which is a breeze on these bikes.

Don't be intimidated. You'll realize you can do this and you'll learn more about your bike. You'll also know that it is done right. Finally, there is help here, including telephone tech support from just about anyone on the forum.

Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, very impressed with the responses, thanks so much.

-I always make sure the choke is pushed in (even when I’m riding) because I put on a chrome knob over the original and with the weight of it tends to slide it open sometimes, but good thinking on that.

-I have read Poison's step-by-step a few times and everyone seems to like it and it appears it’s very thorough. When I have exhausted a few more things, I’m going that route. Tomorrow I check the spark on each plug.

I was going to describe to you more information on what’s going on, but I’m going to 1 up that. Sometime early tomorrow EST I’ll take a video riding a few minutes so you can see and hear exactly what’s going on.

Again, thanks for everyone’s support and I’ll post that video tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You have a fuel filter? If so, it's after market and could be the culprit.
Along that thought, how about a semi-pinched vacuum hose that connects to the fuel petkock? If it is semi-pinched it could be slowing down the fuel flow too....or a bad petkock......

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Any mods done to the bike? (pipes / airbox)...if so, was it properly jetted?
Aside from that......
I would probably be looking for a fuel delivery problem or bad ecm wires. Pull the seat off and with the bike running gently wiggle the ecm wires and see if that effects anything.
Next I would check the flow from the petc0ck. Also - what filter looks clean and clear? '04 and up VTX's have no fuel filter in the traditional sense...just a screen on the petc0ck (inside the tank) and a tiny screen at the carb inlet.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You could also switch the petkock to "reserve" and see if it runs any different....could be something clogging the upper inlet I suppose?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The filter I was referring to was the air filter. The bike is stock besides the slip-on mufflers I put on when I bought the bike a few years ago and it has run perfect with no adjustment to the carb.

Pulled the seat off and wiggled the wires…had no effect. I didn’t notice any kinks in the fuel hoses or wires. All four spark plugs is getting good spark.

I was almost excited when I switched the pet**** to reserve, it seemed like it ran fine for a few minutes but ran crappy.

Below is a link, I used my digital camera so you can here it. I worn you, the video will probably make you dizzy…. LOL and its hard to hear because it’s windy this morning; so it didn’t come out as I expected it to…sorry.

So, I’ll describe a bit more info:
--When I’m rolling on the throttle half way or better there is not a problem
--it seems to happen when I try to accelerate after letting off the throttle.
--So, from a standstill it seems to breakup unless I give it more gas than I normally would need.
--when it hesitates I can here the valve sometimes… sort of ping, and make noise.

Man….I running out of things to check……besides the valves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
KISS it. Start simple. Check for cracked vacume lines. If the bike sat un treated could be carb is gummed. Could be valves. If it started out of the blue the valves may not be the problem. Did you check for idle adj or a hose routed wrong getting pinched while riding. Open your fuel tank while on a ride and see if it runs better could be vapor lock. Does it run ok at speed and just stall when you are stopping?
Frank

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Quite a few of us have hade the pet**** go bad. Take the diaphram out of the back of the pet****,youll need to drain the tank, and see if it runs better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stupid question but, I checked the pet**** and expected the gas to come pouring out once I disconnected the (thicker) black gas hose. I turned the valve to on and to the reserve position and no gas came out. Then I was thinking maybe when it's started the gas get vaccummed out as needed. With no gas coming out, is that normal?
:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts