Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new michelin commander 2 tire mounted and balanced by Honda shop.i bought front and back but it feels like the back one.it literally beats you to death and can't stand to ride it very fast.Michelin tires i hear is best there is.any idea what could be wrong with it? my old tire was worn out and it still road smooth.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Options include;

1. Out of balance
2. Out of round
3. Bent rim (Bent during installation, not likely but possible).
4. Defective tire

Personally I would put the bike on a lift and spin the rear tire to see if there is a visible deformity in the tire. If there are no high/low spots, I would then have it rebalanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Goat
25,412 Posts
Take it back to the shop that “balanced” it. Sometimes tires are defective.
this...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^....maybe check pressure 38#

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the tire from bike bandit online and contacted them and also Michelin.my bike is a 1300c with the alluminum rims.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
DID YOU CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE IN THE REAR TIRE??
They may have used 50 psi to pop the beads and forgot to release air.
38 - 40 psi.

On the tire about 1/8" from the rim is a thin raised strip that circles the rim.
This should be concentric and visible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DID YOU CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE IN THE REAR TIRE??
They may have used 50 psi to pop the beads and forgot to release air.
38 - 40 psi.

On the tire about 1/8" from the rim is a thin raised strip that circles the rim.
This should be concentric and visible.
yeah checked air pressure it's 35 psi

·
Registered
53 Posts
I cannot image how a new tire could affect the ride dramatically, unless there is way too much air in it, which you have ruled out....doubt it is a defective tire or poorly mounted, unbalanced would shake your seat above 50 mph, worse as speed increases....let us know how it goes....

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
By born-on date he means the 4 digit sidewall code that tells the week and year of mfg. For example, 1015 means it was made in the 10th week of 2015, and as of this date, should be replaced as it's old, hard, beginning micro dry rot. An internal sealant/ balancing gel such as 'Ride-On' might help if no other fix is found.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Something in the tire that does not belong there??
Is there a spacer/collar between the caliper bracket and the wheel?
This problem, vertical movement??
Take a closeup picture of the right side of the wheel and caliper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something in the tire that does not belong there??
Is there a spacer/collar between the caliper bracket and the wheel?
This problem, vertical movement??
Take a closeup picture of the right side of the wheel and caliper.
i have the spacer next to the bearing.then the aluminum brake caliper mount next to swing arm.i raised it up and it roles good and has no play left to right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cannot image how a new tire could affect the ride dramatically, unless there is way too much air in it, which you have ruled out....doubt it is a defective tire or poorly mounted, unbalanced would shake your seat above 50 mph, worse as speed increases....let us know how it goes....
Michelin is one of better tires i have reviewed.why i went with it.be just my luck if i did get a defective one.i figure if they didn't get it balanced right it would just be a little virbration.this will shake you off of the seat kind of feeling.im trying to get company to send another tire.but i'd like to no what the deal is with this tire.if a new tire takes care of the problem.be winter time before long and not much riding left for the year.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
what about rear spring setting's... 1 to 5... have they be changed to a stronger number ?????

did you take the wheel off the bike.. or did a shop.??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what about rear spring setting's... 1 to 5... have they be changed to a stronger number ?????

did you take the wheel off the bike.. or did a shop.??
shock setting is 2 and i took tires off myself.but had honda shop mount and balance them

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
If they won't replace the tire and you get something else, consider Dunlop Elite 3 or 4, dual compounds that get pretty decent reviews. Chuck and I both like them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If they won't replace the tire and you get something else, consider Dunlop Elite 3 or 4, dual compounds that get pretty decent reviews. Chuck and I both like them.
Me too. I ride a 1300 C also. I get 20,000 miles on the Elite 4 on the rear tire, not sure what I could get on front, usually change the front when I change the rear. I have an extra set of wheels and 2 VTX 1300 C's. Put new tires on a set of rims and keep the old ones as spares, just in case.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
You take the tire back to the shop and have them check the balance.
If you don't watch them you don't what they did.

Did you check the tire, is it round??
Did they add any weights?? Did they take the old ones off??

If it is a tire problem than someone should have waved a red flag..
It would have been a paint shaker trying to balance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me too. I ride a 1300 C also. I get 20,000 miles on the Elite 4 on the rear tire, not sure what I could get on front, usually change the front when I change the rear. I have an extra set of wheels and 2 VTX 1300 C's. Put new tires on a set of rims and keep the old ones as spares, just in case.
You take the tire back to the shop and have them check the balance.
If you don't watch them you don't what they did.

Did you check the tire, is it round??
Did they add any weights?? Did they take the old ones off??
yeah they took the old tires off.and i see where they added the stick on weights.i talked to the guy on phone who did it.he said it mounted and balanced easy.that Michelin and Avon was the best usualy and have no issue.

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
yeah they took the old tires off.and i see where they added the stick on weights.i talked to the guy on phone who did it.he said it mounted and balanced easy.that Michelin and Avon was the best usualy and have no issue.
Until NOW!

Reactions: kevinohio
1 - 20 of 29 Posts