Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm heading from Chicago to the Jersey Shore this weekend. I'll camp out in eastern OH or western PA (near Pittsburgh) on Friday night, then head east on 76 in the am.

I was thinking there must be some great riding in the mountains by P-burg or a little east of there. Can you recommend any scenic routes in the area that head west to east, not too far from the turnpike? I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours in the morning on some backroads or smaller highways if it at least takes me in the direction I'm heading, then jump back on 76 to make time. I guess this is a long shot, but if you could recommend anything I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Jim

I'm sure some others out east will jump in, but even if you're looking at just a small sidetrip, you can pick up Rt 30 around the Bedford Exit, and ride it at least over to the Breezewood exit. If you've got the time, you can stay on 30, and run it clear out through Chamberburg or Gettysburg, however the most scenic area is obviously around the mountain areas..

Where are you planning on camping at?

See ya,
Bruce..

·
Registered
55 Posts
pretty close

pretty close route to the one above but i would suggest taking rt 31 from bedford to new stanton. if you take the rt 30 route stop at gravity hill(www.gravityhill.com) its worth the couple extra mile side trip. also along the way with either route is the flight 93 memorial. if you stop there it make 9/11 really hit home.

·
Registered
370 Posts
trip to shore from chi

get off the turnpike and visit the flight 93 well woth it i live in phila and have been there 2 times only about 30 mins from the exit i think it is somerset and you ll see a sign for rt 30 east look at map quest to make sure. then after you leave the site as you head east you will see a sign saying how high you will be on this mountain stop and look into the valley it is beautyfulabout 10 to 15 after you flight 93then about 30 or mins later you can back on the turnpike good luck let me know how you make after the trip
fred from philly

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Re: pretty close

zeusmatus said:
pretty close route to the one above but i would suggest taking rt 31 from bedford to new stanton. if you take the rt 30 route stop at gravity hill(www.gravityhill.com) its worth the couple extra mile side trip. also along the way with either route is the flight 93 memorial. if you stop there it make 9/11 really hit home.
I've lived in Pittsburgh all my life & never heard of Gravity Hill.

JimmyMac: Rte 30 & 31 are both nice rides, as well as rte 6 in the northern part of the state. The easiest place to pick up rte 30 from the west to the east (rte 76/70 PA Tpk) is the Irwin interchange, but it is not the most enjoyable part of rte 30. You would be much better off getting off of rte 76/70 at Donegal interchange, heading north on rte 711 to rte 30. At this point, you will be in historic Ligonier (nice little town with battlefields & such). Once you make the Right onto 30 east, you travel about 6-7 miles & start up through the mountains. Very nice riding at this point.

Rte 31 is a little more south, but a similar route & very nice ride as well. You could exit Rte 76/70 PA Tpk at New Stanton, take rte 119 S to 31 E, or at the same Donegal exit mentioned above, you would be on rte 31 right off of the exit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the input guys. Just based on the map alone I had picked out 30, but you've really helping pinpoint where to ride it. I also found route 6 on another website, but it's too far north for this ride...

I was originally thinking about running 30 from Irwin to Bedford, but now the 711 to Ligonier and east on 30 to Bedford sounds the best. Might run it all the way to Chambersburg, since my folks live there now (I'm an ex-Jersey guy).

So are you saying the flight 93 memorial is right on route 30? I can see Somerset itself is right down by the tpke. I definitely want to see the memorial. I lost a friend in the WTC on 9/11 (Tommy Gorman, Port Authority Police Officer and good man) and I just watched the flight 93 movie recently. It's already hit home, but I would like to pay my respects.

I'm also a WVU alum, and knew a lot of folks from the towns your naming. I think I hung out once in Ligonier in the 80's. Definitely in Greensburg. It will be cool to see the area again.

Bruce - I'm winging it on the camping part. Chicago traffic is a bear, so I don't know how far I'll get tomorrow. I'm leaving here around noon. My guess is I'll look for places from Sandusky, OH to Pittsburgh. In PA, I found Harts Content Campground in Beaver Falls and Indian Brave Campground in Harmony. I don't have any reservations, just strapping a tent on the back and laying where I land.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Jim

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked out the flight 93 memorial website, so I have directions. Looks like I have a nice little loop to ride on Saturday morning. Very cool.

Thanks again.

Jim

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
JimmyMac said:
So are you saying the flight 93 memorial is right on route 30? I can see Somerset itself is right down by the tpke. I definitely want to see the memorial. I lost a friend in the WTC on 9/11 (Tommy Gorman, Port Authority Police Officer and good man) and I just watched the flight 93 movie recently. It's already hit home, but I would like to pay my respects.
Real easy to get to. After passing under rte 219, you go about 6-7 miles & you will see a small sign on the right. Turn there, go back about 2 miles & make a left up the dirt road. The memorial will be on your right. The plane crashed out near the tree line on the right.

Good luck/enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.