Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been all over town and i can't find 1/8" and 1/2" rubber vacum caps. Does anybody know where i can get them? I'm in western new york. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
plugs

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but you should really order the german pete block off plates. I put mine on this weekend and my rubber plugs were already shot after only about 6 months. This is a great improvement and a permanent solution for only $13 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
63,877 Posts
Any auto parts store should carry vacuum caps. And they will dry out and crack like said in a very short time. PLates are the permanent solution. 8)

·
Registered
301 Posts
i agree that the plates are better, but many suggest pulling the tank and all to install the plates; i've had the caps on mine for about 8,000 miles/ about a year now and all is fine. just checked them and they look good. thought about taking them off and soaking them in armor all/leather conditioner but sice they looked so good, figured i'd just leave'em. will do the plates one day-should have done last week when i had tank off for paint but guy got it painted in a week so didn't have time to order and get them in, etc. :?

but the plugs are fine to do-especially if you plan on removing the tank sometime, or maybe over next winter and replace them w/the plates then. but as i've said, my caps have been on there and we do a 40/60 mix of city/highway driving, so they have been exposed to quite a bit of heat from sitting in traffic in the city-not to mention two daytona bike weeks and one myrtle beach rally....LOTS of idle time there :shock: and again all is fine :D

good luck and RIDE HARD :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
63,877 Posts
You do not have to pull that tank. Just unbolt the back and tilt it up. Barass has a tank prop that you can make for about $5 to hold the tank up while you do the removal of the hoses for the plates. 8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
caps

I guess i read the desmog procedure wrong. I do have the block off plates i thought i would also need the vacum caps. Thanks.
I have bareasses write-up I'll just read it a little closer next time.

·
Super Moderator
63,877 Posts
You will need 1 vacuum cap, most parts stores have a kit with various sizes. I thought you were asking about the hose caps of the old days. When the hoses were capped off and left on the engine. 8)

·
Registered
301 Posts
i think they are 3/8 and they fit snug. we did a friend of mines and the parts store was out of the 3/8 so we used the 1/2" and used the clamps that are on the hoses to hold them on. his was done @the same time as mine and aobut as many miles ago and his is fine also. so you can use either size, just use the clamps that are on the hoses now if you use the 1/2".

after reading the few posts after this one...
ok maybe I used 1/2" and his was 5/8" ...been so long ago hard to rememeber-guess i'm gettin ole or somethin'...or maybe just too much partying/alcohol in the last few years :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
You got a PM...but if I read your thread right, I just did the German Pete Block Off Plates (aka desmog mod) Napa Auto Parts is where I got the caps. I used a 5/8 universal rubber cap on the air box where the pair vavle hose connected, it's much more strudy than the 3/8 or 1/2 vacuum cap normally recommended. I measured the airbox and it's a hair over 5/8 so the cap is on nice and tight. If you are pulling the secondary air unit as per Bare's sight, you will need a 1/8 vacuum cap as well. As already stated here, ya can't seem to buy just that, I had to get a pack of various sizes, just make sure it contains 1/8. JB 8)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Car Quest sells all sizes individually. They are cheap as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought mine at NAPA also. They had the 1/8 and the 1/2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
plugs

Answer....go to your local bmw dealer ask for v8 rear intake vent valve large rubber car..part#11611747085 plug....these are big&thick and can take much more heat.....brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After i went to two Napa's if finally got what i needed. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts