Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question/issue about my new VTX 1300R. I have "noticed" that it is very cold blooded (or at least the one I have is), and have also found that many other owners here have the same issue. On my Aero750, I could pull the choke, start it, let it warm up, and then put the choke in and ride away.

However, on my VTX, if I were to do this, what a mess (as I've found out). In fact, right now, the bike is running like, well, crap. I'm pretty sure that one or both of the plugs are now bad (or getting that way), so I'm going to replace them and see if it runs better. Basically, the bike is cutting out and sputtering, especially when cold. While it doesn't happen so much when it is warmed up, it does happen, which just doesn't seem right. So, I'm also going to take it to the dealer, have them keep it overnight and then start it when it is bone cold.

With that, i have 2 questions for you:
1) How do you warm up your bike? choke, no choke, 1/4 choke, etc? Also, do you have problem fouling plugs? How do you avoid this?
2) What type of gas do you put in your bike? I was told (by the dealer.. ahem), to put premium and I'm thinking that (that) might be some of my problem.

I do love bike, and I'm sure that this is a simple fix, but think that it is a different "beast" than I am used to mechanically. I've heard that the VTX 1300's are just weird starting and foul plugs easily. I'm going to have the dealer check it out, but I wanted to get other 1300 owners input also.

As you can see, I'm a "newbee" on this board, but not to riding. :D
Any input or help would be great.

tb

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
What works for me is to use as little choke as possible.
I will usually give it a couple of twists of the throttle and go no choke, just keeping it running with the throttle.
If I do need to choke it, I'll pull it all the way out, start it and immeditley push it in to where it just keeps it going (maybe 1/4 to 1/8 choke) and keep it there for perhaps 10 seconds before pushing it in all the way and using the throttle to heep it going.

You're correct - this bike will foul plugs very quickly if you use the choke too much. It's actually an enrichener valve that dumps raw fuel into the mix, so you really want to go easy on it's use. If you think the plugs are fouled, they probably are. I would change them and see what happens.

My bike runs best on 87 :wink:

·
Super Moderator
64,384 Posts
These engines were designed to run on the lowest octane you have in your area, 87 in the plains states like mine 85 in the hills. Try running the lowest for a while, changing or cleaning the plugs wouldn't hurt either. 8)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropped it off at the dealer this AM, and they started it up later that afternoon, when it was cold, and they did find that it ran rough. So, they are going to start it again in the early AM (when the temperature is down), and the take apart the carb and check everything (plugs... which I'm sure are fouled, gas, etc).
So, I'll keep you posted. Good to know that they found that there IS a problem and I'm not going crazy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Was having a similar problem Gerper, until I followed the board members advice on starting, ie; no throttle, pull choke, start bike. After 10 seconds or so push choke in and keep her running with the throttle. After a minute or so she should idle on her own. I cleared my plugs by getting out on an empty 2 lane county road and getting on her seriously... really bump the RPM's up, gear to gear, and ran her up to 85-90 mph. As they say, rode it like I stole it... and guess what? My X loved it! Just ate it up. Now she starts sweetly, I think the Amsoil switch helped too, and I use the choke as minimally as possible. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts