Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2003 vtx 1800c. It has 11,000 miles on it. It has Vance and Hines pipes, power commander, k&n filter and housing. When I purchased it the battery was dead but started up and ran perfectly with a jump pack. I hauled it to a Napa and got a battery put it in and it fired up and ran like a top. But after a few miles it’s started sputtering when I throttled it up to fast. Then it started running really rough and stalling, and back firing, not wanting to start and when it did it wouldn’t idle with out some help. The guy I bought it from said it was only stored for a couple months and he treated the gas before putting it away in heated garage. I am new to vtx’s was wondering if anybody had any ideas. I pulled the intake and fuel rail, checked all the connectors. The rail and injectors seemed clean as a whistle. I am going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also after it started acting up a drained the old gas out and put fresh high test with sea foam in it. Didn’t seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Loose battery connections are common.
Disconnect the PC. PC has wire to ECM Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) with clip on connector.
Many issues with that connector.
In Step by Step board the "Ground Fix".
Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), how is oil level and does it have gas in it.
Oil stick on top of threads and VTX vertical to check oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil level is perfect, and I didn’t smell any gas in it. I will go through all the wiring connectors tomorrow and see if I can find anything wrong with them. I’ll post back with whatever I come up with. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If the plugs are OEM, don't throw them away, just check (and clean) them! They will last a 100k miles more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try without PCIII, Mine started throwing errors and one day just in the middle of the ride stopped working, even though it let change maps and didn't seem to be broken.Now I have PCV ,working well.

·
Super Moderator
63,663 Posts
You will need to replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator any way you look at it. They fail due to age, not mileage.
Nest, do the Ground Fix as seen on the How To board, doing the "Common Electronics Ground" section is needed for every year the VTX was made

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone, i pulled the spark plugs and cleaned them like you said, then I went through and unplugged and cleaned all the connectors. I didn’t see anything wrong with any of them. But I just got back from my test ride and she went like a champ. Think I’m gonna replace the FPR anyhow, the vacuum end on it was pretty dirty and rusty. Thank you everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts