Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 VTX 1300 R
Whether choked or not, sputters when starting up (regardless of temp), runs fine after 2-3 miles. If I stop on a ride to take a break, and fire it back up after 10-15 min, sputters and dies, then runs fine after a minute or so.
I have Cobra slash cuts and a K&N filter (just filter, no "kits").
Bike ran fine all the way from last June to this past February (when I had to use a bit more choke in the morning).
Have read in forums that an A/F screw adjustment is needed, but I am new to this. In the forums, they speak of "screw" and I am also wondering since it is a "twin carb", are there 2 screws?
How close are the recommended settings of "2 1/2 turns" given my setup?
Have not pulled the plugs yet as i am just beginning to research this. If they are "fouled", what is a good cleaning method? Or should I just replace them? If replacing, should I go stock, or is there a better brand or type? Any recommended gap change?
If environment makes a difference, I live in Florida and weather is generally mild year round.
If you have any pictures showing locations of the screw(s) I would appreciate it.
If anyone out there has been through this and can provide a bit of info, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2008 VTX 1300 R
Whether choked or not, sputters when starting up (regardless of temp), runs fine after 2-3 miles. If I stop on a ride to take a break, and fire it back up after 10-15 min, sputters and dies, then runs fine after a minute or so.
I have Cobra slash cuts and a K&N filter (just filter, no "kits").
Bike ran fine all the way from last June to this past February (when I had to use a bit more choke in the morning).
Have read in forums that an A/F screw adjustment is needed, but I am new to this. In the forums, they speak of "screw" and I am also wondering since it is a "twin carb", are there 2 screws?
How close are the recommended settings of "2 1/2 turns" given my setup?
Have not pulled the plugs yet as i am just beginning to research this. If they are "fouled", what is a good cleaning method? Or should I just replace them? If replacing, should I go stock, or is there a better brand or type? Any recommended gap change?
If environment makes a difference, I live in Florida and weather is generally mild year round.
If you have any pictures showing locations of the screw(s) I would appreciate it.
If anyone out there has been through this and can provide a bit of info, thank you for your help.
Here's a good link that shows you how to tear down your carb with good pics showing you what goes where.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216890

Check this one for the plug fouling.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217213&highlight=cleaning+fouled+plugs

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yep, I second the plugs. I was trouble shooting the same symptoms earlier this week and when I checked the plugs, I found that they were sooted black. Since I wasn't expecting this, I didn't have new plugs on hand. So I cleaned them with gas and a toothbrush, then sanded the electrode and negative with 800 grit sand paper. I also took that oportunity to regap them and the result is night and day. The bike now starts without the need to use the choke and runs super smooth.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not sure about the dual carbs, the stock bike is a single carb. If you get the A/F set right you should be able to start just by twisting the throttle three times then pressing start with no enricher. Just use the throttle for a few seconds to keep it running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts