Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two days of trying to run the wires through my new Wild One Chubby bars, I give up. What's the trick?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I also tried doing this. I got the right side through but now don't know if I can match the wires with the plug where I cut it. I waned to space my splices out along the run in different places. After pulling the right side I'm not sure I want to do the left side...more wires and the right side was hard enough. Use a vacuum to suck a sting through and then pulled a single wire through and used that to pull the rest. Now I am gonna have to use a tester to re-hook up all the wires. Somebody suggested that the left side is easier but he left out the blinker wires to have 5 less wires on that side. I want to keep my front turns so this is a daunting task!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
All the wires are color coated, and you do the left side the same as the right, it just takes a little longer.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
papa said:
All the wires are color coated, and you do the left side the same as the right, it just takes a little longer.
Papa, you did yours on the stock handle bars didn't you? I might try this some day, again if it can be done on the stock bars. I just love messing with this thing. It isn't a true mod unless you cut, grind something, if you just bolted something on it's just a add-on. Don't get me wrong here, I love add-ons as well (I have one or two) but I really like changing things.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The way I did mine was to leave some of the color code and add the to the center of it. I stagger the solder joints carefully not to build a knot. Make sure each solder is done right with shrink tube on top of it. Then repeat but carefully plan on how to do this. I then make a harness out of the wires and carefully wrap sparinly black tape at it will no problem to slip it through. Make a map of your connections to you plastic holders. I then bring the wires straight through the neck. Of course you machine a slot or hole through.

Good luck

BONE

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well at least you got a few answers from these guys. I couldnt get any answers to basically the same question YESTERDAY! :?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Oilcan said:
Well at least you got a few answers from these guys. I couldnt get any answers to basically the same question YESTERDAY! :?
Not everyone see's every thread, or reads every day. Some times you have to :bump: so it stays up to the top. I know I don't look much farther than the first 15 or 20 threads most of the time. If theres something I want an answer to and I don’t get what I’m looking for up she goes to the top for others to see.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not matching the right wires up that I'm having trouble with (yet). I can't get the first wire through. I tried the vaccuum thing and couldn't get it to work. What kind of string are you using?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
cool runnins said:
papa said:
Papa, you did yours on the stock handle bars didn't you? I might try this some day, again if it can be done on the stock bars. I just love messing with this thing. It isn't a true mod unless you cut, grind something, if you just bolted something on it's just a add-on. Don't get me wrong here, I love add-ons as well (I have one or two) but I really like changing things.
Yes I did it on the stock bars with phat II risers and did not have to add any wire there was enough cramed in the light houseing to get it done. It really cleans up the bars.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Kfox said:
It's not matching the right wires up that I'm having trouble with (yet). I can't get the first wire through. I tried the vaccuum thing and couldn't get it to work. What kind of string are you using?
I will try to help here, tell me where your holes are entry and exit, If you have a air compressor and a air gun you should be able to put a string in the exit hole and start blowing it has no choice but to exit where the air is comeing out. then hook a wire to that and pull it through then attach that to your wires and pull them on through.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I made sure one wire is about 2 feet longer and tape up the taper and a small coat hanger bent on the end. If you use string use thick string and then a sinlge strand of wire and be careful pulling it through as to not tear into the wires of the slots.

Good luck!

Bone

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
papa,

Funny you should mention that. I bought an air compressor two years ago. Still don't have my garage quite finished, so no power to run the compressor. I get what you're saying though. I think I came up with an idea driving tonight though. I'm going to try to tie something small to the end of some fishing string that will be heavy enough to drop the string down the riser and I should be able to get it through the other side that way.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Papa - Got any pics of your bike with the wires run this way? Sounds intriguing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used a 12 guage stranded wire to fish through the bars then wrapped the bundle of wires up with some duct tape ( its tough enough to take some punishment) then I lubed the tape and pulled it through.
My bars didnt seem to be drilled with that many wires in mind but with some lubrication it worked.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
StressPuppy said:
Papa - Got any pics of your bike with the wires run this way? Sounds intriguing.
If I had this to do over I would just drill one hole in the center and run the wire behind the top tree and not through it.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Kfox said:
papa,

Funny you should mention that. I bought an air compressor two years ago. Still don't have my garage quite finished, so no power to run the compressor. I get what you're saying though. I think I came up with an idea driving tonight though. I'm going to try to tie something small to the end of some fishing string that will be heavy enough to drop the string down the riser and I should be able to get it through the other side that way.
The air compressor would work although I just used bailing wire it is soft and can bend easily as it goes through the bars, once you see it in the hole you want to run your wires in, you can use another wire with a hook on it to retreave it or needle nose plyers. Then I laced my wires onto that with electical tape to secure them to the wire and to protect them I taped them the entire length to protect them inside the bars from vibration. Good ruck

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
shivaman said:
what did you use for lube? I wouldn't want something that would cause the inside of the bars to rust!
I did not use anything, any water would run out the bottom holes. But everthing is underneath the bars so it would be pretty hard to get water in there.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used a piece of weedeater string and ran it through then taped my wires to it and pulled. Worked great. It's a pain and takes a lot of time but in the long run it really looks good. Cleans up the bars nicely. I would recommend doing it if you can.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I know that you've (the people that have done this mod) have answered a lot of questions and I for one am grateful. But you know what would really be great?

If someone could write up a step by step, I know its a little late for pictures and maybe one of us that haven't done it yet can take that on (I'll do it if I get a step by step). You know, like remove your handle bars drill your holes here type of thing. I know that it seems easy since you did it, but right now to me any way I'm a little gun shy. Papa mentioned removing a vibration dampener, did every one else? How hard was this? How do you do it?

Sorry for all the questions but I know that when I do something like this I learn as I go and always have a few “if I had to do it all over I would” type of things.

Thanks in advance if any one does this for at least me (but I'm sure others would use it).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts