Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Honda VTX1300R Hypercharged 12000 miles

I stored the bike for 3 years, went to go get running. I pulled and soniced the carb. New battery with jump box hooked up, fresh fuel and new fuel screen. Old screen fell to peices when I pulled the petcock to clean tank.

When I start the bike when cold it will run for around 60 seconds before it dies. It doesn't choke or act like it's starving of fuel, but like you hit the kill switch. After it dies from the first start and it's worm at this point it is very hard to start again. When it does start it runs 10 to 20 seconds very time.

I have pulled all jets to find they are clean. Vacuum lines are all clean with no leaks "I can find at least" the hypercharger butterfly works when it runs. I am lost and in need of somewhere else to look to find the issue! I have noticed with the new battery it won't hold a charge, that's why I use the jump box. With it running I can pull the leads and it runs.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
There is a filter in the carb fuel inlet it could be getting full of trash.
Trash could be building up on float valve shutting of fuel.
If you open the fuel cap do you hear air rushing into tank?
Rear right side has tank vent, if blocked off it will stop fuel flow.
The jets have a tube with tiny holes in it.
MR VTX Carb 101--many nice pix and info

The charging voltage should be 14.0 to 14.5 volts at the battery when running.
Was the new battery already loaded with acid or did you add the acid then charge it??
1300 Electrical info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery was new, but I do think it is bad. When I charge it to full I hit the key and lights turn on. Go to start no power. I think dead cell that's why I use the jump box to rule out batter, I think? All the vent lines are clear there is a T fitting near the battery that comes from the line at the rear right of the tank that does not have a line connected? From research I think it's a anti siphon? As for trash in carb I have pulled it since the issue and gone threw it, I haven't found any trash or junk.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Yes the Tee is anti-siphon device in case the lower tube is in water.

Did you check the carb fuel inlet screen??? Look at MR VTX pix near the end.

Battery polarity correct??? It has happened before..
Have a voltmeter? How are you charging the battery?
14.0 to 14.5 volts to charge the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes sir, the screen is clear. Battery is correct. I will have to check the battery voltage. Will the voltage cause that much of a issue even with a jump box hooked up?

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you have 2 keys, use one key to open the tank, the other to start the bike. If you do this, does it run uninterrupted? If so, you have a vacuum issue with the tank.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Surprised nobody said double check the Vacuum line coming from the Petcock for internal cracks/leaks near connections.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
I had a 13-14 month old battery go open.
It would provide lights, go completely dead when starter switch operated.
Recycle the IGN switch, lights good until starter switch engaged.
I had it tested, 12 amps was all it would provide. A "BatteriesPlus" unit.
Deka and Yuasa are the best batteries.
I bought a cheap YTX14 battery for my 14 hp lawn mower.
I brought it in each winter, gave it a charge as needed. It died.
I purchased a new Yuasa YTX14H-BS for the X, the old one went to the lawn mower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I only have 1 key for the bike. As for the battery I will replace it tonight and see if it helps. I will keep the thread updated if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Unfortunately I only have 1 key for the bike. As for the battery I will replace it tonight and see if it helps. I will keep the thread updated if it fixes the issue.
You may be able to pinch the cap, so it thinks it is locked so it will release the key. Just be sure you don't have a full tank, or the vibrations will spill gas everywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may be able to pinch the cap, so it thinks it is locked so it will release the key. Just be sure you don't have a full tank, or the vibrations will spill gas everywhere.
I will give that a shot. I got all new lines today so they will be all replaced tonight. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Snap! How much gas in the tank? That's all i could think to ask.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Put a vacuum on the petcock, check the fuel flow from the petcock.
Either a vacuum pump or suck on the hose.
If good than verify fuel flow this time from the carb drain bowl.
The long hose goes to the Hypercharger I suppose?
They used to have rubber hose that would break off at the HC vacuum nipple.
Minimum hose configuration: Only one tee and and two hose connections are required.
Vacuum from intake manifold---a tee, one hose to petcock, the other hose to Air Cutoff Valve.
Go to the basic configuration.

Reactions: VTXArizona

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Half tank of fuel. Long line is for the butterfly fly valve on hypercharger. Good fuel flow. When it stalls bowl is full. I'm so lost on where to look. 😓 when it ran the coolent line to the car blew so I killed it. No stall so far. What holds the coolent line in?

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
The coolant hoses have a band clamp on the little device that goes into the carb body.
There is a plate (#24) that holds the device(#9 set joint) onto the carb.
Go to MR VTX Carb 101 steps 13 - 16 will show you the plate.
That happens to be close to the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS).
TPS is used to change the ignition timing.

I removed the carb heater about two years ago.

No stall so far??? Runing correctly now??

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well went to fix coolest leak. Figured sonic the carb again gor good measure to make sure it's cleaned. And the choke seems to be seized in the carb body? Anyone have this happen before?

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Well went to fix coolest leak. Figured sonic the carb again gor good measure to make sure it's cleaned. And the choke seems to be seized in the carb body? Anyone have this happen before?
There is NO choke in the VTX carb.
There is a "Starter Enrichment Valve" which allows air and fuel for a higher idle. The pull knob,,,
A spring loaded plunger that has a spring that wants to close the valve.
It has a fault though, If it closes too fast the engine will die from lack of a fast idle.
Pull the knob out all the way, crank/start, then push knob in a bit to reduce the very fast idle.
I ride a half mile or so, 3 or 4th gear than push it closed.
There is a moly slide valve with a rubber diaphragm and a springs that pushes the slide valve down. Pic of Keihin Starter Enrichment valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is NO choke in the VTX carb.
There is a "Starter Enrichment Valve" which allows air and fuel for a higher idle. The pull knob,,,
A spring loaded plunger that has a spring that wants to close the valve.
It has a fault though, If it closes too fast the engine will die from lack of a fast idle.
Pull the knob out all the way, crank/start, then push knob in a bit to reduce the very fast idle.
I ride a half mile or so, 3 or 4th gear than push it closed.
There is a moly slide valve with a rubber diaphragm and a springs that pushes the slide valve down. Pic of Keihin Starter Enrichment valve.
Yes sir. Mine is seized closed. Possible reason of not running correctly? I've soaked if for 24hrs and still will not pull out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts