Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 VTX 1800S that I purchased back in November. Both rims were rusted and by luck I found a perfect exact replacement for the rear. The tires are white walls and under further inspection noticed my front tire is dry rotting. So, having said that, I need a new front tire and wheel but have not found either. The front tire is a Dunlap 404F 140/80/17 white wall. They look good on the bike but I figure that if I can’t find a white wall and rim, I’ve have to replace everything to match. Any help?

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
26 Posts
Shinko do a very good whitewall in that size and in the US they're cheap. Not so over here.. Grr... BTW, the correct size is 150/80/17 but we can't get WW in that size so we're stuck with 140s. doesn't really effect much though.. Avon do a good whitewall that fits on the back too. (as do Shinko etc) I think they'd look great with black rims if you decided to go down that road. What colour is your bike?

·
Registered
2002 vtx 1800 C
4 Posts
My 2002 that I just bought as the same rim problem ( pitting ) I will wait this winter to have them powder coated. For the tires, stick with a well known brand I don't trust cheap tires, it's a heavy bike.

·
Registered
2002 vtx 1800 C
4 Posts
Powder coating spoke rims is doable but for best result, you have to take the spokes apart. You can always go the cheaper way and get them sand blasted and then paint with a rattle can.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
26 Posts
My 2002 that I just bought as the same rim problem ( pitting ) I will wait this winter to have them powder coated. For the tires, stick with a well known brand I don't trust cheap tires, it's a heavy bike.

About Shinko

Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacturer of rubber products.
In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.
On going testing in the USA and R & D at Shinko Tire's factory means a continuous path of exciting tires to meet the need of today's riders.
PERFORMANCE YOU CAN TRUST !

Nowt wrong with Shinko. My last ones on my Magna were amazing. Just a shame they're so hard to get and expensive in the UK

·
Registered
422 Posts
Like most tire mfg, there are inexpensive tires that grip like crazy but only last about 6-10,000 miles, and then they make longer lasting tires yhat might not grip quite as well but will get 15-20,000 miles for maybe 1.5 times the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I choose a Shinko whitewall and to clean up my front rim the best I can. That will buy me time until I have more money to get stupid with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts