Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd show what I found today while doing plugs, ground fixes and FPR. Looks like water sat here for a long time. Plug is corroded as well and will need to be replaced. Back right plug.

Of course it rains while I'm working so I cant see if any difference in the decel popping yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I put factory plugs back in. Still getting enough decel popping that someone called the cops and reported gunshots as I was driving earlier (not joking). Waiting on new exhaust gaskets to come in as my final try to fix the decel popping without resorting to a fuel manager.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
So, what pipes do you have?

Aftermarket pipes are known to have a weaker flange that will distort and bend. The stock acorn nuts may bottom out without providing a perfect seal, so many put washers under the acorn nuts as spacers, or some just use normal nuts. If you use normal nuts, I'd be tempted to double nut them to lock them in.

Just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Have you removed the pair valve? That should help with the decel popping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far i've done pair valve removal, fixed the grounds, replaced the plugs, checked all vacuum lines and tightened bolts on exhaust. Going to wait on new exhaust gaskets and washers before I order the Cobra FI2000R.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
also.. many forget.. just because its fuel injected... there are intake clamps.. if loose will cause decel pops... as well as intake tubes having small cracks.. just like on carburetor engines.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Like Chuck said above.

Check the hose clamps on the hoses in between the engine cylinders too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
As others have stated put stainless regular nuts with new gaskets and torque properly. If the person that put the exhaust on didn't replace the gaskets and measure the stud depth the acorn nuts are not clamping the gasket good enough. I use these they are easier to get too

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Right. Also, make sure that when you replace the gaskets, you get the old ones out. Sometimes the old ones are tough to see in there. Double gasketing the exhaust will leak.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Right. Also, make sure that when you replace the gaskets, you get the old ones out. Sometimes the old ones are tough to see in there. Double gasketing the exhaust will leak.
just like oil filter gaskets :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So exhaust gaskets were definitely not working as they should. Black soot all the way around the gasket and around the flanges. Also the genius put both allen keys facing up on the exhaust so the bottom one was very loose. I'm painting the exhaust bracket because it looked like crap and soaking the studs since the studs came out with the nuts. Lets hope this fixes at least some of the backfiring, but at least it should be better than it was.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Looks like you have a handle on this. If the studs came out with the nuts, maybe think about replacing them as well if you have easy access. Here's hoping you've got it nailed!

Oh, and don't over torque the nuts when you put them back, and follow the instructions for even torque. The number of threads engaged on each side should be very close the same. They should seal up nicely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just spent $120 with Ron Ayers. Ordered new studs, bolts, all the hardware for a rear seat, new spark plug wiring for the corroded side. My plan is to add a couple of stainless washers, I do like the look of acorn nuts vs threaded rod. Looks like I've got 2 weeks to clean up the exhaust and body while I wait for parts to get here. Thanks for all the help, here's hoping for no more shots fired calls when i'm riding.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
I just spent $120 with Ron Ayers. Ordered new studs, bolts, all the hardware for a rear seat, new spark plug wiring for the corroded side. My plan is to add a couple of stainless washers, I do like the look of acorn nuts vs threaded rod. Looks like I've got 2 weeks to clean up the exhaust and body while I wait for parts to get here. Thanks for all the help, here's hoping for no more shots fired calls when i'm riding.
That should do it brother. Post back and let us know the final results. Crossing my fingers for you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the work continues. Replaced the corroded plug wire, took the exhaust off and added new gaskets. Added washers and torqued down to appropriate tightness. Cleaned the intake with some seafoam and surprisingly was pretty clean, no real smoke came out. Went for a ride and BAM, backfiring. Looks like the Cobra Fi2000R is in my future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There were no hoses for me to plug (the pair valve had been previously "done" when they added the hypercharger). I used High Temp RTV when I did the plates and have tested with carb cleaner to make sure they are sealed. The only hose I can imagine is left over is going to the hypercharger for vacuum. I could not find a single loose hose under the tank for me to plug. Hypercharger opens and closes fine without any issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts