Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't have the answer. But understanding there is an issue should at least make people understand that a stopgap is to lower the standards in order to give opportunity that would never be there for those who are actually working just as hard, if not harder.
Again, I'll ask, who advocates for the non minority student who actually is working just as hard, if not harder?

The common argument (this thread is a perfect example) is that they are simply lowering the standards to let idiots in..
I don't believe I or anyone else said that. My issue is students not qualified, be they black, white, anything in between, or legacy.

This is never the case, they slightly lower the standards to bring in a more diverse student population.
I think what's happened, in their zeal to admit minorities, they are admitting absolutely unqualified students.

An older article worth reading. I found parts of it surprising.
"Affirmative Action" and College Graduation Rates .

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Click Above ⏏

Here in Connecticut, I've read articles about teachers buying their own supplies to supplement what the school gives them. We're supposedly one of the wealthiest states in the country, why isn't there enough money to properly educated our children?
Here in New Mexico, the 2nd poorest state in the union after Mississippi, it's been common practice for at-least 30 years for teachers to supplement district provided supplies by purchasing classroom supplies out of their own pocket, in many cases the teachers pay the bigger part of that equation or all of it. Teachers here don't make the big salaries of their counterparts in California or back east and can probably least afford to do what they do, but they do it and never complain.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
It's enlightening to see both sides of this, and I thank JPT for posting on this. I would agree that clearly something needs to be done, but I think we can assert any affirmative action to be a dismal failure, having only made things worse overall. Like others here, I'm sure I don't have THE answer, and maybe, likely, there is no one answer. These people that struggle, working their butts off to make things better for themselves are not bad people. The problem is, largely, a cultural one. I would submit that you can throw as much money at this as we have, it won't be much of an improvement. I believe the problem has it's roots much, much deeper, and until you cure the problem at it's cause, you'll not solve much of anything. It's just my opinion, and I could be way off on this, so if it offends it certainly is not meant to. I see a problem, and a poor choice for a remedy.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I urge you all to read a post by Larry Elder in todays local paper, titled "Civil Rights War Won, Why Are We Still Fighting For It?" It details his thoughts on the destruction of the education of blacks. He calls it 'self-sabotage'. He quotes Walter Williams "Black Americans have come a greater distance, over some of the highest hurdles, in a shorter period of time than any other racial group." Thomas Sowell, responding to a statement that Blacks haven't "caught up" with Whites, noted "Well, Whites haven't stood still."

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I'm a little dissapointed that JPT hasn't given any input on Dr. Sowells analysis of the subject. Not for argument, he does (jpt) make some well thought out observations IMO.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts