Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden a few Iron Butt Association certified rides but never one of the more extreme. I missed a SS2000 Gold (2000 miles in 36 hours) by 60 miles thus only qualifying for a Bun Buner 1500 (1500 miles in 36 hours) at 1940 miles.

I had a few days to go somewhere. Ah, why not a Saddle Sore 3000 (3000 miles in 72 hours). I have ridden a couple of SS2000 rides but the SS3000 is considered extreme.

So on Wednesday, 06/13, at 0400 I headed north out of the Dallas area to near Fargo, ND, for 1200 miles and some rain. Next day it was Colorado Springs via Billings, MT, at near 1100 miles. The last leg of 900 miles was south to Santa Rosa, NM, on I-40 to Amarillo then back home. Total 3200 miles in two and a half days.

I wasn't sure this old fart still had it at 69 and a half. I felt good when I got home. I don't think I want to do a SS 4000 but ask me next year.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Congrats...

I like to Ride ..

longest one day... 1,200 miles in 17 hours. one day off.. then 1,200 miles in 18 hours to get home.

longest vacation.. 7,300 miles in 15 days.

no interest just to ride.. to "Tired"...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I rode with a buddy in 2009 the 50 CC run. We rode San Diego to Jacksonville, FL in 47 hours 40 minutes. What a blast!! Then took a week to come home via Memphis, the Texas Panhandle, Arizona and up 395 in Nevada back to Oroville CA. What an adventure! Enjoy, my brother!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats...

I like to Ride ..

longest one day... 1,200 miles in 17 hours. one day off.. then 1,200 miles in 18 hours to get home.

longest vacation.. 7,300 miles in 15 days.

no interest just to ride.. to "Tired"...
Thanks

Those were some serious miles. 17/18 hour 1200 mile days is serious. You sure did not let any grass grow under those tires.

I usually do the IBA stuff to get somewhere quickly so I can smell the flowers when i get there. Like when I did my trip to Alaska and Yellowknife, 9000 miles in 16 days. The first two and last two were IBA rides but in between I averaged 400 miles, more or less, a day. This one was just a challenge.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!!! what a trip. Congratulations, if I ever get a true "cruiser" I might try one of those kind of trips.
The X you have will do it. Especially if you put a few comfort accessories on it. My VTX 1300R has been a workhorse.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've put 101,40XX miles on my 1800c in 39 months. That's included some 700 - 800 mile days. It's no BMW K1200LT, but it's comfortable enough for me! Just wish it got better mileage though on those long hauls. The BMW averaged 42-48 on the highways. I'm topping out at around 39.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
3200 miles in 3 days is some serious seat time. Glad you had a safe journey. Leaving Dallas at 4 am...lol...smart.
I am debating a shot at the BBG1500 maybe this July or early August. From Bama to Bismark ND. Then to Glacier, other sites to be decided.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3200 miles in 3 days is some serious seat time. Glad you had a safe journey. Leaving Dallas at 4 am...lol...smart.

I am debating a shot at the BBG1500 maybe this July or early August. From Bama to Bismark ND. Then to Glacier, other sites to be decided.
Yep, just getting out of Dallas alive is worth a medal at times. I live on the far north edge of the crazy DFW area and I headed north so at 0400 I increased my odds. :laugh:

Hope you get the BB1500 Gold. I have worked the numbers against my sleep pattern, not sure I can do it. I have set the pace several times for about 18 to 20 hours but not sure I can last the last 200 or 300 miles for 1500 miles in 24. I will be trying it soon.

I have been told by an Iron Butt Rally finisher and Mile Eater Diamond member that he found the BB1500 Gold to be one of if not the most difficult. He said everything must go right.

You will enjoy Glacier. I was there a three years ago. Even with the fires it was great. That was one of the times I did a SS2000 just to get there then slow down to enjoy. For a rasonable, nice, old, clean motel I recommend Mountain Pine Motel in East Glacier. East Glacier is less touristy. I also enjoyed the Whistle Stop restaurant and their buffalo steak. They are in walking distance of each other.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Yea I figure if I dont hit the 1500, which will be hard since I am pretty much done after 18 hours. lol I am trying to schedule work so that I am on nights that week. Then I can sleep all day, leave early evening to get the night riding first. I may just ride to Minneapolis, then to St. Marys, East Glacier area for the SS2000.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just stay hydrated. I have used a Camel Back and now I'm experimenting with a gallon therm strapped on the passenger floor board.

On your return try to ride the Beartooth Pass road, US 212, If you have never do it. I'd say on your way up but you are wanting to get in the SS2000 if not the BB1500 Gold.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Leroy,,, you are a MUCH better man than I am!!! And I guess you would call me a "youngster" at 63.... Congrats on the marathon.........

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
My 1300 is great at 800-900 mile days
1800 will wear me out at around 600.

Hey Charlie. I'm curious why the 1800 would wear you out earlier? I know mine is heavier, but once I'm out on the road, it handles like a dream. Am I missing something with the comparison between the two?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Just stay hydrated. I have used a Camel Back and now I'm experimenting with a gallon therm strapped on the passenger floor board.

On your return try to ride the Beartooth Pass road, US 212, If you have never do it. I'd say on your way up but you are wanting to get in the SS2000 if not the BB1500 Gold.
Yea out west, water is mucho importante. I looked for a gallon cooler but never found one. I keep trying to put Bear Tooth on the list but, It may end up on a trip to BC, or Yukon.....excuses, excuses.
So after Glacier......
0. Pelouse Falls, Wa
1. Mt Rainer, Wa
2. Mt Hood, Or
3. Mt. St. Helens, Wa
4. Crater Lake, Or
5. Hwy 50, Nv
6. Black Rock Desert, Nv
7. Great Basin Park, Nv
8. Capitol Reef, Arches, Monument Valley, Ut
9. Hovenweep, Ut

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My 1300 is great at 800-900 mile days
1800 will wear me out at around 600.

Hey Charlie. I'm curious why the 1800 would wear you out earlier? I know mine is heavier, but once I'm out on the road, it handles like a dream. Am I missing something with the comparison between the two?
Seating and bar position is most.
I sit on a 1800 and sit in the 1300.

I have ultimate seat on the 1800 with F risers about ready to put old risers back on they are 1/2 inch lower.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea out west, water is mucho importante. I looked for a gallon cooler but never found one. I keep trying to put Bear Tooth on the list but, It may end up on a trip to BC, or Yukon.....excuses, excuses.
So after Glacier......
0. Pelouse Falls, Wa
1. Mt Rainer, Wa
2. Mt Hood, Or
3. Mt. St. Helens, Wa
4. Crater Lake, Or
5. Hwy 50, Nv
6. Black Rock Desert, Nv
7. Great Basin Park, Nv
8. Capitol Reef, Arches, Monument Valley, Ut
9. Hovenweep, Ut
Hovenweep is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere but worth the trip. Keep an eye on fuel. With your auxiliary tank you will be OK. I was OK on my X when I went through there.

My buddy said the Durango/Cortez area has been burning for some time so very smoky. We did not have any problems with smoke on the SE side of Utah last month in my PU.

Monument Valley is one of my favorite. You might give the Mokie Dugway a shot just north of Mexican Hat. It is a bit rough packed dirt/gravel with the hair pins paved. Why paved, I don't know except it makes the gravel kicked on them something to be extra careful of. I made it down on my X and passed two HDs on their way up.

Valley of the Gods is OK but the road is not for our cruisers. I had to pass on it while on my X. I did go back last month in my 4x4 PU. Once is enough. I did not feel the views were worth it.

I accidentally found a neat place to stay right on the San Juan River in Mexican Hat, UT, just north of Monument Valley. It is called the San Juan Inn. Old, small, rasonable, clean, and a good view.

Sounds like you have an awesome full list now. Can't do it all in one trip, I've tried and it nearly killed me. The Beartooth will give you an excuse to plan another ride out west and hit the things you missed on this one.

Always plan ahead for the next trip is my motto. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Congrats Jerry on the SS3000. For me the BBG1500 is just time management by the numbers. Say 1550 miles in 23:30 for a little mileage and time cushion so an average of 66 mph. 10 hours in you should have at least 660 miles. I did the BBG1500 without starting out to do it. Was doing the SS3000 and was in Atlanta where I planned to stay the night. Wasn't tired at all and knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. Got the calculator out and realized I was on track for 1500 in 24 hours so just kept going. I finished 1558 miles in 23:20. Slept a few hours, did like 1100 miles the second day, and finished the 3rd day with a very leisurely 500 miles, total of 3164. I wasn't trying or interested in doing a 2nd one but could have very easily did it on the 50CC. First day I had 1489 miles for that and 1000 the second, Jacksonville Beach to Ocean Beach San Diego, 46:30.
Since you are so close to the route the 50CC would be a good way to get that and the BBG1500. I know you are experienced with it but to the others averaging 66mph on the X is not all that easy unless you have an auxiliary tank. Having to fill up at less than 150 miles is a lot of lost time. The 50CC I did with my 650 that gets around 225 to a fill and the BBG1500 on the LT that gets about 275 miles between fills.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Always good to hear from you Mr. Enduro, your experience is always welcome here. I mounted an additional 2.5 gallons on the VTX 1300. (Wish I had 3.5) I can run a solid 225 and have run 253. I have my gas stops at 230 miles except the stop in Fargo at 200 miles and the final, maybe in Bismark. I have an app I am going to use for, miles, elapsed time, avg speed, max speed, speedometer. Since hearing you speak of doing it by " the numbers". I may now just break it into 4 -375 treks, unless I get behind. As an out for the trip IF I cant make the 1500 for any reason I will stay somewhere near Minneapolis for 1000 mile day, sleep my time balance and go for a another 1000 mile day for a SS2000. Then the sightseeing begins.....lol Just have another 4 or 5, 6-700 mile days. Yea averaging speed over a long distance changes exponentially over 60 mph. Above 65 well that's dedication. IMHO

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good to hear from you Ed.

The auxiliary tank I got from you makes things more possible on the VTX.

I mounted a 5 gallon on my Yamaha RSV so the 50CC will be easier on that one. Hopefully I can get the a BB Gold.

I guess I could move the 5 gallon over to the X. Hmmm I do like riding the VTX even with the high miles on it. It is comfortable for me.

I like those bonuses of getting more than you planned for when doing an IBA ride. My first SS2000 was totally by accident. I did not realize it until I was almost home so I tacked on the last 100 to be sure.

Another time I almost had a SS2000 Gold without planning. I missed it by 60 miles. If I would have even thought about it the second morning it would have been easy. It turned into a 1960 mile BB1500. I could have had a BB1500 Gold on that one if I'd planned a little. I was not even trying.

Some days it works out easy and others a struggle.

Take care

1 - 20 of 20 Posts