Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Neo Deluxe Backrest attaches with only the front 2 holes and has the back hole undrilled, are there any saddlebag brackets that bolt on only using the front holes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same difficulty finding brackets for my 04N. Looked for quite a while. I decided to wait and get Boss bags...and am glad I did. Awesome bags. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you are interested, Easy Brackets will mount to your backrest brackets. These are quick release brackets. I have them and love them. I also purchased their saddlebags.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have easy brackets and had to drill out the neo backrest mounts for the rear bolt. I didn't think to try mounting on the front two bolts - I'm not sure that would've worked w/ my bags, which are quite a bit larger than the Hondaline bags. If I had to do over, I'd go w/ the Boss bags and avoid drilling the backrest mounts. Also, I don't think the Boss bags stick out as far from the fender as my bags w/ the easy brackets.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have easy brackets and had to drill out the neo backrest mounts for the rear bolt. I didn't think to try mounting on the front two bolts - I'm not sure that would've worked w/ my bags, which are quite a bit larger than the Hondaline bags. If I had to do over, I'd go w/ the Boss bags and avoid drilling the backrest mounts. Also, I don't think the Boss bags stick out as far from the fender as my bags w/ the easy brackets.
Bill,

I did go with bigger bags than the 18L Hondaline bags on the Easy (now Edge) brackets. The fitment issue is the shock side. I was barely able to drill the forth hole (the top hole closest to the shock) in the bags. The hole is very close to the edge of the bag. So they do work using the two holes already in the Deluxe bracket.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I drilled and tapped holes for the bracket, so that when the bracket is off, I can put a spiked/stud in the hole. Looks awesome!:thumbup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I drilled and tapped holes for the bracket, so that when the bracket is off, I can put a spiked/stud in the hole. Looks awesome!:thumbup:

I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean. How about some pictures??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry no pics:( I used Cobra saddlebag brackets/guards on my hondaline
backrest brackets. I masked off the brackets (hondaline),off the bike of course. Measured centerline from hole to hole on bike, (or use saddle bag
bracket dimensions) then transferred that measurement to my masked off area. (Masking really keeps the chrome from getting funky when you're drilling and tapping.) Centerpunch the bracket, drill the appropriate size hole for a 8x 1.25 or 8x 1.75mm, or whatever size stud or bolt you're using. Countersink the hole to remove the burr on both sides, then tap`er out, and you're done.:thumbup:
Hope that helps,
BE COOL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You are right. The Boss bags fit fairly tight to the fender strut. That is why I decided on them. I looked hard at easy brackets, ghost brackets, etc, kept coming back to the Boss bags. I have the "38" on my N. They are big, secure, and come off easy. I am definitely satisfied with them. Not cheap, but with the occasional Directline coupon, they come a bit more competitive. If I remember to take some pics, I will post them..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts