Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site has the instructions how to modify VTX Hondaline bags to be used with Easy Brackets. This mod will allow the bags to be closer to the bike. Very good instructions with pictures. http://www.netjam.com/vtx-html/vtx-bags.htm Also link to lower the bags. http://www.netjam.com/vtx-html/bagBrackets.htm I used the above first link when I modified the bags. I made sure they were postioned lower on the ABS plate I made for the back of the bags prior to drilling the mounting holes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hard Mount your Throw over leather bags.

I recently purchased a used 2005 VTX1300S with throw over leather saddle bags. As I went over the bike I saw that the bags were scuffing the fender. I also thougth they moved around to much. I was thinking they were a cheap throw away and i was going to add hard bags. I had also had a Vulcan 1500 Classic for some time with bolt on leather bags. They held up well over 6 years and 30K. This made me take a second look at the bags and attached is a conversion to bolt on document that makes the bags much more stable and eliminates the cross over section.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
i did a similar thing about 6 or 7 years ago with mine, made my own support brackets from flat stock, and used 1/4 round stock to make a inside frame for the top of the bag, almost as stiff as hard bags and maybe cost $20 at most.:doorag:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Throw over conversion

Im doing mine right now..love this mod
Makes for a nice clean look and not much effort. I threw an extra set of leather chaps rain gear and spare gloves in one bag and a personal tool kit in the other, had more than five pounds in each and went for a 40 minute ride. No problem at all.

:tools::cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard mount throw over saddlebag

I really liked the idea of converting throwover to hard mount. I recently purchased a "new" 2007 VTX 1300R and purchased throwover saddlebags from Carolina Leather Works and I know from past expierence that throwover rub the paint off below the rear seat. Would it also work if a person drilled holes in the bags the same size as saddlebag guards bolts and then sandwiched the bags between two pieces of flat aluminum stock about 2 inches wide, one on the inside of the bag and the other on the outside the saddlebag guard? I would like some input on this, thanks TCO:dontknow::banghead:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hard Mount Throw overs

TCO,
There is no one way. You want to trap the bag and distribute the stress. How ever you do it is up to you and what ever your comfortable doing. I think the big musts for this projest is having a bag support that will keep the bags off the brake rotor and wheel. The second is having a throw over bag with a rigid back side. Some have added a stiffner via plex or aluminum sheet metal and the like. My bags had a stiff plastic material so a stiffner wasn't required. One last recomendation is good quality hardware. I used all stainless, just make sure you have enought length to get a good thread grip. Half the fun of these mods in my mind is figuring it out and making it your own. Have fun and good luck!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did this mod and love it. My X looks different. Sharper and cleaner!
My bags also has a hard plastic back wich made it easy. I just used fender washers on both sides to make sure I didn't pull the bolt head through.
Also my tiedowns were up near the top would do no good with this mod. So I cut them off. My bags does not move at all.
I often wondered what I could do to stop the rubbing on the fender wishing I could afford hard bags. Never once did it occur to me that I could hard mount the ones I have. Thanks :bowdown:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you use factory frames to hard mount the bags?

Charlie
I just used the show chrome saddlebag stays to hold the bag away. It works great. The bags didn't have a frame for the inside. They are leather like or vinyl so a little stiffer than leather.
Not sure who you were asking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bag Supports

Did you use factory frames to hard mount the bags?

Charlie
Any solid support like what I have in the attachment PDF should work. Since they are hidden behind the bags for the most part, painted or chrome really doesn't matter. I think you are referring to the "U" shaped round bar metal that has the the two eyelet cups and goes between the bags and the fender mount, right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
did this mod using 2 pieces of 2" flat aluminum bolted to the rear fender support through the bag supports. Also used about 8 rivets to sandwich the leather bag between the two pieces of aluminum.

works great and looks even better

·
Registered
106 Posts
Need some measurments

This site has the instructions how to modify VTX Hondaline bags to be used with Easy Brackets. This mod will allow the bags to be closer to the bike. Very good instructions with pictures. http://www.netjam.com/vtx-html/vtx-bags.htm Also link to lower the bags. http://www.netjam.com/vtx-html/bagBrackets.htm I used the above first link when I modified the bags. I made sure they were postioned lower on the ABS plate I made for the back of the bags prior to drilling the mounting holes.
I would like to lower my saddle bags like in the pics above. I have the honda bags and with v & h pipes there is a big space below the bags. I looked on the cal x-riders site and could not find wayde with the same mod. I would be willing to purchase the plates that are shown in the above pics or at least get the measurements and try making my own. Can anyone help with any of this.
Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 2004 VTX 1300c came with throw over bags also and thought about converting to the easy bracket system until I saw Big Ed's Instructions. What a difference and it was simple. For just a few dollars in hardware made my bike look totally different. I do not have any before pictures but here are a couple of after shots. Thanks again.

View attachment 87637 View attachment 87638

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
THANKS!

I got a set of Hondaline bags a couple years ago,... they been laying in the garage cause I couldn't figure that out on my own. GREAT IDEA! Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
It looks like the webpages are gone. Does anyone else have an updated source for this mod?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I used the stays that came with my bags from Saddleman. I also used the kit that allows me to quickly take them off. Using both I was able to mount my bags down low and they look good that way. Of course my bags are the larger ones with the shock cut-outs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My bags are the soft type, but they do have some stiffer flat stock sewn in the back side panel, but it's just not stiff enough. In addition, the Easy Bracket plate is much smaller than the bag backside so it doesn't give good support. After reading, guess Ill try adding an additional piece of flat sheet (metal or plexiglass) material between the easy bracket and the bag. Thinking I'll make a pattern so as I get complete support on the backside of the bag.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rude dog, mine are the same way. I'm thinking of adding some aluminum plate to the back of mine to stiffen them up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts