Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend on a HD used a small hand held sanblaster like an air brush
and etched a fire dept logo on the metal side cover. We are thinking of trying this on my VTX but wonder how well the plastic would hold up to it. Its an adjustable sandblaster and we think we can try it to see if just the very top layer can be etched. Has anyone done this to the chrome side covers on their X?

Kirk

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sandblasting

I use a blaster to etch glass (which of course is very hard). It should work the same on your side covers, only a lot faster and deeper. Be sure to use a fine grade of sand and a good resist. If your not going deep, a couple of layers of duct tape should work.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Go to a local motorcycle junk yard and get a couple of covers that are the same material as the X's covers and do some tests to see what works best. Of course there is always Ebay to get extra X side covers.

Sounds interesting, was thinking of doing a design on my wind screen with a sand blaster, giving it a frosted effect. Keep us informed of your progress and post some pics please!!

B.

·
Super Moderator
63,855 Posts
I can tell you from experience with my painter. He tried to sandbalst the chrome off the dash panel of my X. The plastic under the chrome got hot from the friction and started to melt and the sand then created a sandy blob on the panel. He tried with glass beads and the same happened, he ended up using sandpaper to clean off the chrome for painting. Be careful and try it on another piece first. 8)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Try changing the media from glass bead to plastic or walnut shell. Should be work fine for removing paint from the plastic. Not sure of the look (effect) you're going for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts